P-64 as a carry weapon.

Info, pictures, advice...
reprisejim

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by reprisejim »

My wife is very comfortable with me carrying as well. I wish she would come to me one day and say "let's go gun shopping, I need a few"! She has grown to understand why I carry and respects it. Since I carry all day, every day, everywhere she has gotton very used to it. It took her quite awhile though.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by nbender »

My wife won't even let me show her how to check if one of my firearms are loaded. She wants nothing to do with them. I could never talk my daughters into going to the range with me either.

On the bright side, she's perfectly happy, within the limits of our financial obligations, to let me collect firearms. I just have to keep 'em locked up. Fair trade, and she is a keeper.
butch50

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by butch50 »

I grew up in a military/hunting/fishing family, and went into the military myself right after high school. I have always been around guns and was going hunting as soon as I could keep up, and by myself at 12 years old with a double barrell 12 gauge shotgun. Guns are just second nature to me.

My wife grew up in a family with no guns or hunting/fishing members. Her only knowledge of guns, before me, was that her favorite cousin committed suicide with a gun. To this day there is not one gun owner in her large extended family.

Due to a shift in the local populace of a nearby neighborhood my wife became interested in home defense. She now has 3 pistols placed strategically about the house, and knows how to use them in a primary sort of way - point and pull the trigger until it is empty. This has made her a lot more comfortable, and feels like she has a realistic chance to protect herself. Of course it has made me a lot more polite too. :)

Different upbringing entirely, so different results. My daughter on the other hand is an experienced shooter and owns some of her own, and loves to shoot. As do my sons. Probably because they all grew up around mine and with me taking them shooting at young ages.
Last edited by butch50 on October 3rd, 2007, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by papabear »

My wife really doesn't care for guns, she shoots them from time to time but very seldom. Of all the gun shows I have had tables at she has only been to one show with me, but that one show she told me she understood why I enjoyed them so much, she said she watched and listened and saw how much enjoyment I got out of the shows and she said the money wasn't bad either. She doesn't have a problem with me buying, selling and trading my milsurp stuff because she knows that is something I enjoy doing. For our last anniversary she called her brother in FL and and told him I was looking for a S&W 28-2 .357 [Highway Patrolman] with 4" bbl and could he try to find one for her so she could give it to me for a anniversary present. On our anniversary she handed me this S&W 28-2. Is that a great wife or what... ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by nbender »

Yes!!
butch50

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by butch50 »

That is a GREAT wife!!!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by papabear »

nbender,

This is what I got her for that same anniversary, a 7 week old American Eskimo puppy.

POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by carguy »

I think she is just as lucky as you are my friend. 8-)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by papabear »

Thanks all, appreciate the kind comments.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
reprisejim

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by reprisejim »

What sort/caliber of gun(s) do your wives prefer? I have heard that revolvers (.38) are preferred many times by women.
butch50

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by butch50 »

My wife has a .22 revolver, a .32 revolver and a Makarov. They all seem to work just fine for her, and since she has been trained to empty the entire cylinder/clip into COM, I think they will do the job for her.

She also has two small dogs. We came about as close to arguing as we have ever come over those dogs. I love dogs, but I like them big and outside. She wanted a lap dog. For about a year she would bring it up and I would gently say no way. She said it was because the kids were grown and out of the house and she needed a "baby" to love on, and I gently said no way.

One day she looks me right in the eyes and asks me if I had ever considered adopting a baby. I immediately asked her what kind of dog she wanted and how many. She always was smarter than me.

PS - they do make an effective, if annoying, alarm system. Not much can get near the house without those dogs letting us know.
Last edited by butch50 on October 3rd, 2007, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reprisejim

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by reprisejim »

Which one (gun that is) does she prefer and feel most comfortable with?

WOW, she's got you figured out!!! If only you could figure out a way of using that trick to purchase guns... that's worth a ponder...
butch50

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by butch50 »

I think she actually prefers the 22 - although it is hard to say as she doesn't really enjoy shooting. We have a pretty good deal going on me buying guns - as long as she doesn't see me bringing them in she doesn't know they are new. She just knows that I have a lot of guns and they all kind of look the same to her ;D
reprisejim

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by reprisejim »

Again, WOW!! My wife is perfectly fine with me getting new guns as long as they are FREE!!!! Do you know how often that happens??? Of course you do... NEVER!!! Geez, after hearing stories about wives buying there husbands guns and letting them purchase them when they please, I feel pretty envious!!! One of the last saving graces I have to purchase more guns is if I can get her to want one... and that's going to take a lot of work!!!!

I think she has approved me purchasing a makarov if in the right price range ::)
Last edited by reprisejim on October 3rd, 2007, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
butch50

P-64 as a carry weapon.

Post by butch50 »

One of the things I have mentioned to her, on numerous occasions, is that I can buy a gun and it will just become more valuable, so that it is an investment. Unlike appliances and such that don't hold their value. I don't think many women understand that - they understand that if you buy a new tv, that in a couple of years it has lost a lot of value and will just stop working some day. Guns, as I have shown my wife, never really just stop working as long as they are maintained and become more and more valuable.

I showed her a Swedish Mauser I have that was made in 1904 and looks brand new - I explained that it is about as old as our grandparents and that I could sell it at any time for a profit. She got bored with me talking about it after awhile and as long as I don't rub her nose in it, she is fine with me getting more. Although my collection really isn't that large, about 20 or so total. I tend now to more or less keep the number about the same.