Here they are with questions!

Info, pictures, advice...
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

+ 1 for Norm's advice with the hemostats. This makes it very easy.
It will work on both the P-64 and the PA-63.
The only difference between the two is the safety detent spring arrangement. The P-64 has separate springs for the safety detent and the extractor. The PA-63 uses a common spring for both components.
With the P-64 I use the back side of a single edge Exacto knife to compress the detent. It's thin and easy to maneuver.
If you 're doing your PA-63, remove the extractor and spring first. This will take the load off the safety detent making safety R&R a piece of cake.
milsurpcop

Post by milsurpcop »

I got it! I just needed to take a break and tone the frustration level down. The screwdriver method worked great. I took a thick pair of rubber gloves, wrapped it around the bottom of the slide, and secured the slide in my vise. I used the screwdriver to keep it balanced, pushed the pin in and slid the safety over. Thanks. I also had to grind the ends of the Wolff recoil spring flat before it would work. Polished the feed ramp while I was at it. Thanks again, now on to the PA-63.
milsurpcop

Post by milsurpcop »

BTW, as far as the cosmo goes. Their was not much. MCS must do some removal because I sprayed the entire gun down with brake cleaner and soaked it in Ed's red and found little to no cosmo. Very surprised and pleased to say the least. Also BTW, thanks for reposting the pics.

donnerwetter58
"If you 're doing your PA-63, remove the extractor and spring first. This will take the load off the safety detent making safety R&R a piece of cake."

Ok, how do I remove the extractor and spring. Safety on or off? I looked it over and don't quite see how. The online manual link didn't show that part of the PA63 dissasembly. I swapped the recoil and hammer spring in about 2 minutes (no grinding this time). Sorry for all the ?'s, I just don't want to break anything. Thanks.
Last edited by milsurpcop on September 18th, 2007, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Also BTW, thanks for reposting the pics.
Just bein' lazy! I like to see the pics when I see the message :)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

milsurpcop

Safety on or off

makes no difference

pull back on the extractor detent ,pull or push the extractor out

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

milsurpcop,
The extractor is on the right side of the slide. It is retained by the spring plunger behind it. Use a pick or other small diameter tool to compress the plunger as far to the rear as it will go. The extractor will now just lift or fall out. When you let go of the plunger it will fly across the room so put it in a bag or something
Behind the plunger is the spring and safety detent. Install in the reverse order.
From there the safety will remove like the P-64. Use the hemostats to hold the firing pin forward and such.
While you have it apart, knock any sharp edges off the detent grooves in the safety. It will make the safety operate smoother.
Both the P-64 and PA-63 are excellent pistols. They are so closely related it would be hard to appreciate one over the other. They are both surprisingly accurate. The PA-63 tends to sting the hand a bit more.
Either make a good carry gun but I tend to carry the P-64.
Being you have the PA-63 and P-64 you might want to consider a VZ-82. Another winner in the 9x18 category.
Have fun and shoot straight.
Dave
milsurpcop

Post by milsurpcop »

I am sending out a formal search party for the plunger. I never seen it or heard it go. I had my hands in a large bag and when I went to lift out the extractor, my hand jerked. Exactly how screwed am I? I did a parts search and located a Kassnar PMK that looks identical to the PA-63 (I thought maybe that part would interchange) on the Numrich Gun Parts website.
Of course that particular part is sold out.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem. ... l=1600zPMK
Is it possible to make the plunger out of a finishing nail or something. If it's just a small metal round piece, surely you could take a finishing nail of the same diameter and cut, grind, polish to the same length. Any advise or info please.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

I don't know what your surroundings were when it went on the fly, but if you were in a room, it's in there somewhere. A detailed search aided by an old speaker magnet has yeilded good results for me in the clutter and sawdust in my shop on occasion.

Oh, by the way, did you check your clothing, like a shirt pocket, in case it bounced off your chest if the bag opening was facing toward you. It's a long shot, but you never know. A proper re-creation of the position of things at the moment it happened will point, logically, to its location. Good luck!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

milsurpcop

THESE PARTS WILL FIT THE PA-63

APK Parts :

Extractor : $15.10
Sear Pins : $2.

Extractor Plunger : $5.

Extractor Spring : $2.
its pretty much the same gun but in 380

http://www.ssmedwi.com/misc.page4.htm

call ask for SHONA tell her you need parts
you might also order some Sear Pins these are easy to lose too

and yes you can make it from a nail just heat treat it

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on September 19th, 2007, 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
milsurpcop

Post by milsurpcop »

THANK YOU for the link. I ordered it today. I crawled on my hands and knees all over the room, moved everything I could, drug a magnet around.....no luck. I even tried to figure out ricochet angles and searched everywhere. So, I just ordered one. As a last ditch futile effort, I'm going to vacuum the floor with the Rainbow Vacuum and sift through the water basin. I still would like to try to make one, maybe out of a drill bit. Sorry for sounding stupid, but how do I "heat treat" it?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

milsurpcop

heat metal to a cheery red then drop in oil
if you are going to use a drill bit heat up to cheery red let cool by it' self do all your cutting on it then
re harden

NORM

there are no stupid questions on this board especially if you don't know the answer
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
milsurpcop

Post by milsurpcop »

I'm starting to feel a little stupid. I don't think I lost anything when I disassembled the PA-63. The extractor plunger that I received from SSSMEDWI, is not the piece I thought I lost. Apparently I did not lose anything. :( I must have misunderstood the parts. I thought there was another small piece behind the extractor that is infront of the extractor plunger. I just replaced the extractor plunger and spring into the hole and compressed it, with some effort, and CAREFULLY pushed the extractor into place. It now seems to function perfectly. I racked through a couple mags of ammo and it ejected them perfectly. Hopefully this will be the end of my troubles, I won't need to disassemble the gun again that far....I hope. Now the PA-63 and P-64 have had the springs successfully replaced and the feed ramps polished. I am ready for the range...finally. Thanks again for all the great info and patience.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

HA HA HA! :D

It happens...don't worry about it...all you did was exactly what so many of us have done to one degree or another. How do you think the answers were ever figured out?! 8-)

When I bought my very first C&R rifle, 1925 Izzy MN 91/30, I tore it apart and cleaned the cosmoline off everything. Putting it back together I seemed to have lost a pin to the trigger assembly! Now this was the very first time I ever stripped a rifle apart like this and I wrecked it!! Suddenly, lying in a cushion seam on the recliner in my office (where I broke it all down originally) was this 1/2 inch long black thing....the pin I thought I lost. Luckily I learned a good lesson and always disassemble on my work bench with plastic bags, rags, magnets everything I can think of and I'm sure I'll still lose a part someday. At least you were prepared and did it in a plastic bag the first time! :)
milsurpcop

Post by milsurpcop »

I've owned firearms for 23 yrs, I've been a police officer for 11 yrs. Handled a gun in some form almost every day. Then I do something like this and think that I should sell all my guns and collect paperclips. Sheesh!!!
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Milsurp paperclips? :D