Grip Question: Thumbrest or Not?

Info, pictures, advice...
rick9plus

Post by rick9plus »

I am a new P-64 owner, and I really like the looks of the wood grips I have seen linked to from the board. I would like to purchase a set. But my question is... thumbrest or smooth?

For those of you who prefer thumbrests, why do you like them? What are the benefits when firing or carrying?

For those of you who prefer smooth grips, why do you feel that is a better way to go?

Please don't answer with "go with what you like", as I have not fired a P-64 with a thumbrest, so I do not know what I would like best. I want to know what YOU like best (and why?)

Thanks for your input.
slackone

Post by slackone »

Pro: Thumbrest makes for a more consistent grip. Maybe some shooter comfort.

Cons: Adds to the width of the gun. Makes it hard to shoot left handed. May not fit your grip style.

I've shot guns with thumbrests around the size of a Czak (Makarov, PA-63), and I disliked it. It did help with control just a bit, I felt, but I disliked the added bulk. For carrying concealed, I'd give it a thumbs down.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

+1 with slackone--I was surprised at what a difference the thumbrest made in carrying comfort and concealability...
9x18shooter

Post by 9x18shooter »

I agree with slackone. Thumbrest is wider for carry as well as being a lefty it would be uncomfortable for a righty to shoot.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Got to go along with the crowd so far on this one. I don't even like the thumbrest grips for controllability, none of the 5 pair that I have owned wound up with the thumbrest grips, besides, the thumbrest grips that come with the P-64 are brittle and do crack/break, it is a fact/rumored that the BATF created these grips by making the rules for importation of the P-64.........the pistol to have certain dimentions.......... ??? Having said all that, I do know of some that do llike the thumbrest grips, and I didn't say, "Go with what you like"........ ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

I have used both. dont like it (thumbrest) for weak hand shooting
I think it also hindered my normal hand set while holding.
I also heard they are brittle... never had that problem. On all three of mine I use custom grips from our artisans on this site.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

I really don't like the thumb-rest. Concealment is the main reason. If you are planning on putting hundreds of rounds/month thruogh this gun at the range as a shooter....then maybe a thumb-rest might be OK. However, if you're planning on shooting it as recreation and practice for CC, then I'd ditch the thumb-rest grips (IMHO).
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

On all three of mine I use custom grips from our artisans on this site.
Artisans, I haven't hear that word in years, nice way of explaining our two members that make really nice grips for us here ...... ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I'm along with the guys that don't care for thumb rest. I think they are on there because someone could'nt hold on to his weapon.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I read somewhere that to pass import regulations a pistol had to be a certain minimum width and they were added to meet the regs when they were first imported.

How true that is, I don't know.

Bottom line...I agree with the majority so far that do not like the thumb rest on the grip.

I truly believe the most popular use of the P-64 is for CCW and the added thickness of the grip does make concealability more difficult and more importantly less comfortable. If this were a target plinker everyone would want thumb rest grips! :)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

NOT ME.......I gave mine away away.....JMTCW..... ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

It seems that I'm the lone hold out for the the thumb rest . I have a preference for the improved accuracy that a thumb rest provides when when I am only using the the front sight for close up strings of taps. Out to about 25 feet I find that I can pull the trigger as fast as possible through the entire magazine and still keep all groupings in the chest cavity.I also find that it helps with long distance shooting out to 50 feet or more, the pistol seems to set better in my hand. I guess that I'm the odd duck in the group. 8-)
G.R. 8
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

gunneyrabbit,

Your not a odd duck, you just have a different grip on things than we do.......I admire your standing up and letting us know your stance on the grip, I take it you are right handed............. ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by duggi60 »

NO to thumbrests for this member.

:(
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

Never shot one with thumb rests so can't really say for sure as far as shooting goes. But definitely like the flats from a concealment point of view, or is that lack of view lol.