New P-64 Caution

Info, pictures, advice...
b52stan

New P-64 Caution

Post by b52stan »

Hi guys,
Been here for the duration, but sometimes get frustrated with the answers to newbie questions. Some times it's unfounded opinion, but this is still the best board I have been on.

My opinion, is that each P-64 that came directly from distributors needed some cleaning, but were pretty perfect weapons. Some others that had a few minor problems, were caused by people that didn't understand the weapon, and screwed it up.

My six P-64's have been flawless. Of course, two have been carried away by my two sons. Only 4 left and shopping.

Stan
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New P-64 Caution

Post by space »

The two I have look new.

Even after what appeared to be a good cleaning - boiling the mostly disassembled parts in water and spraying with brake cleaner (NOT the grips), there were still some little hard balls of cosmoline up in the springs. Didn't find them for a while but once they were properly cleaned, gun shoots flawlessly with highly improved trigger pull.

PLEASE NOTE: Even if they look clean, if you are having problems with operation, make sure ALL the cosmo is out of every nook and cranny.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New P-64 Caution

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Well said gentleman!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

New P-64 Caution

Post by papabear »

I couldn't agree more.............. ;D

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New P-64 Caution

Post by bzinggg »

I'm not a bad person, though increasingly unpopular, it seems. My opinion is based on the MSDS of that certain product that seems so convenient to many of you, and the responsibility or irresponsibility of recommending it to newbys and others that seek advice on this forum.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

New P-64 Caution

Post by carguy »

Bzinggg

You're not a bad person, I take it that you are just someone with great conviction in your beliefs and not shy about expressing them.

You have your opinions and everyone else has theirs. We are all grown ups here and can agree to disagree.

I take everything ever posted on this or any other forum with a grain of salt. I am not an expert and never claim to be. I don't think anyone here has ever claimed to be one either. What I post are my opinons based on my experiences. I would hope everyone takes all the info posted, pros and cons, then makes their own decision to include making sure what chemicals they bring into their household, touch with their hands etc.

:)
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New P-64 Caution

Post by nbender »

Stan it's always a pleasure.

In between recent ramblings about cleaning the pistol I've been saying some of what you posted. I haven't had experience with a P-64 that was totally gunked up and needed an extensive treatment. I've only been around a couple - mine and my friend's - but they shot pretty good out of the box. It seems that others have encountered pistols with more grease than I've seen.

But I do believe in a break in period to prove reliability. Semi-auto pistols built at the factory were built within tolerances. Some are tighter than others. I've had semi-autos that would choke on the best quality hardball but would straighten out and feed right after several hundred rounds.

As far as responsibility of product recommendations - that is hard to respond to. There are good non-chlorinated degreasers out there that have evolved quite a bit from the days when we used straight trichloroethylene (TCE) in the Army, and I've tried to recommend a few. But I have friends that won't stir a sauce with a teflon spatula because they believe the teflon adds cancer-causing chemicals. Everybody has to use a chemical product according to the label and their comfort level; and those actions and judgements go way beyond being a gun newbie.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

New P-64 Caution

Post by blinddog »

I don't know about anyone else, but I have learned alot from alot of different people. I use some of the advise and some I don't. Still it is all good!!!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

New P-64 Caution

Post by papabear »

+1 with blinddog......well said!!!

papabearw
POINT SHOOTER
steve98664

New P-64 Caution

Post by steve98664 »

I have been exposed to too much over the years! I am particularly careful with hazardous chemicals. I use good ventilation in my shop extensively (fan) and in my outside cleaning areas. I use the correct PPE for my hands, eyes, and lungs. It is really pretty inexpensive if you are gonna use nasty chemicals that melt grips. 200 nitrile gloves at costco cost about 5 bucks. My mask and filters are the most expensive since I use 3M products. Filters are the most expensive but I store them properly (sealed to air exposure) and get 2 uses. I do use the best there. Glasses are cheap and about 2 bucks, easy. I use a shop coat and acid gloves when using stuff that shrivels the nitriles. They run about 3 bucks and I've had the same pair for over a year.

If nothing else, use good ventilation and work outside when possible, with good ventilation there too.

After all of the safety and PPE I've been trained on at work, I finally determined that the nasty chemicals at home need to be addressed too.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New P-64 Caution

Post by bzinggg »

I have been exposed to too much over the years! I am particularly careful with hazardous chemicals. I use good ventilation in my shop extensively (fan) and in my outside cleaning areas. I use the correct PPE for my hands, eyes, and lungs. It is really pretty inexpensive if you are gonna use nasty chemicals that melt grips. 200 nitrile gloves at costco cost about 5 bucks. My mask and filters are the most expensive since I use 3M products. Filters are the most expensive but I store them properly (sealed to air exposure) and get 2 uses. I do use the best there. Glasses are cheap and about 2 bucks, easy. I use a shop coat and acid gloves when using stuff that shrivels the nitriles. They run about 3 bucks and I've had the same pair for over a year.

If nothing else, use good ventilation and work outside when possible, with good ventilation there too.

After all of the safety and PPE I've been trained on at work, I finally determined that the nasty chemicals at home need to be addressed too.
+1 Well said.
bZ.