Maks and P-64's

Info, pictures, advice...
tunnelrat

Maks and P-64's

Post by tunnelrat »

I recently got my first Makarov. I had never even seen one before. It is bigger than I expected from all the stories about it being a "pocket pistol". I can only assume that the Russians have very large pockets... ;)

I got a Polish Radom, P-64, too. It looks a lot like a Walther PPK (but a PPK it ain't!). I am surprised how nice looking it is: deep blue steel and shiny black plastic grips. It is finished much more nicely than I would expect from a military pistol (especially a Polish Communist military pistol).

Both the Mak and the P-64 Radom are in 9x18Makarov. That sort of splits the difference between .380acp and 9mm, though it's a lot close to .380 than to 9mm in power.

So, anyhow, I took the took little Commie pistols out today and put 100 rounds of 9x18 through them. They are both nice little shooters, though the Makarov is a bit more pleasant to shoot than the P-64. I thought the Mak soaked up any perceptible recoil, but the P-64 jumped in my hand a bit and tended to bang my fingers. Of the 100 rounds, I put 64 through the Mak and only 36 through the Radom -- that was plenty.

The sights on both guns are somewhere between very bad and none at all. However, both seem to hit where I'm looking. I actually tried some "point shooting" (no sights) with each of them: at four yards I was able to keep all shots on a 9" pie plate.

The triggers are nothing to shout about. I didn't even try to use the DA trigger on either gun, rather I cocked the pistols manually and fired single action. I suppose the Mak would have been okay, but I am simply not used to DA/SA on any gun.

The Radom, of course, is an different story. They are famous for their abysmal DA triggers, but one has to be pulled to be believed. I'll bet the P-64 has a 25 pound double action trigger. It felt like trying to drag a concrete block with a string.

Single action, the triggers weren't bad as compared to most DA/SA automatics. They each have a bit of slack to take up first, then maybe a quarter inch of creep. However, the creep is smooth, not gritty. The P-64 felt like my trigger finger was sliding on glass. I could get used to it.

Anyhow, either pistol is readily available on the market for around $150, so I figured their value is substantially more than their cost. The ammo is cheaper than .380acp, and a bit more powerful. So there is a cost savings there, too.

All in all, this old dog has had to learn some new tricks.
b52stan

Maks and P-64's

Post by b52stan »

Welcome to the board, but you're singing to an experienced choir. Much progress has been made to solve the DA problem, and to enhance anything about the P-64 you can think of.

To benefit from this experience, and save a lot of time and effort, recommend you browse thoroughly through the various topics, and feel free to ask any questions.

Stan
tunnelrat

Maks and P-64's

Post by tunnelrat »

Welcome to the board, but you're singing to an experienced choir. Much progress has been made to solve the DA problem, and to enhance anything about the P-64 you can think of.

To benefit from this experience, and save a lot of time and effort, recommend you browse thoroughly through the various topics, and feel free to ask any questions.
Hi, Stan,

Thank you! This is indeed a marvelous site. You guys provide a valuable service.
mongo

Maks and P-64's

Post by mongo »

The P-64 is a down and dirty gun. nothing pretty but VERY concealable and much better than the Keltecs or Seecamps in my opinon.

It is what it is, a rig to get your ass out of a jam you never foresaw.

If I know there might be trouble I carry my USP.
tunnelrat

Maks and P-64's

Post by tunnelrat »

If I know there might be trouble I carry my USP.
Heck, if I know there might be trouble, I don't go!
Or I go with a shotgun and a squad of U.S. Marines...
nscale

Maks and P-64's

Post by nscale »

tunnelrat,
Your experience between the Maks and P-64 describes mine exactly.