Ordering one now

Info, pictures, advice...
ozarker

Ordering one now

Post by ozarker »

ugreg15 welcome aboard.. Believe you will enjoy the P64. Solid little gun. Carry mine everyday.
ckb

Ordering one now

Post by ckb »

I use Barnaul 95 gr HP as my carry ammo. I've put about 300 rounds through without a problem, and in mine it is astonishingly accurate.
I've also gone to the #18 hammer spring and it makes a huge difference in the DA pull.
tomline

Ordering one now

Post by tomline »

Saw a keltec at the gunshow last week that had an exploded barrel after many rounds of good factory hardball ammo. Looking at it, the barrel is kind of thin.
If your P64 is a backup ccw gun, I'd be hesistant to replace any springs but I would consider replacing the mainspring. There a how-to on doing that. If you shorten and lighten the mainspring too much, the magazine retainer will move and the mag falls out. I've done the wolf springs thing, and never thought it was worth it except to sell stuff to guys who like to tinker. A real trigger job lightens the mainspring by replacement or shortening, and stoning the sear & hammer hook.
Actually, you can smooth most guns a bit by jacking the hammer. This is sometimes the final step of a trigger job to work the burrs off. It's not recommended for obvious reasons, but involves applying pressure to the hammer with a screw driver to multiply the tension weight and then pulling the trigger. Taking precautions to avoid scratching the gun of course.

After nearly two years of studying them, I am finally ordering the P-64 and PA-63.
milsurpcop

Ordering one now

Post by milsurpcop »

Finally took them to the range yesterday. I didn't have a lot of time, so I only shot about 25 rds (Silver Bear 94g HP) in each of them.
The first 6 in the P-64 was a little wild because I wasn't sure what to expect. After that, I was impressed. No FTF and every round cycled perfectly. The DA trigger pull was not too bad, it'll just take a little getting used to. Out of 23 rds, I kept 16 within a 4" circle. My P-64 just surpassed my Glock 27 as my favorite pistol.
The PA-63 was a different story. I had several jams that I realized was from the extra mag. The matching mag had no problems. The non-matching mag would slightly "come loose" from the gun. I would push it back in place and it would work fine. Any suggestions for the mag issue. The trigger pull wasn't too bad either. After shooting a couple mag, the feed ramp would be a little dirty and I noticed a kind of marking on the feed ramp going up to the chamber. More like the round was almost scratching as it went up the ramp. I think when the other mag would come loose, the round maybe is slightly out of place when it gets sent up the ramp, causing the marking? It's actually not really scratching the ramp, it just made a "trail" through the dirt and residue on the ramp. Despite that small setback, I really like it also. I would like to buy some flat sided grips, for left handed shooting. The wood ones that are offered look nice, but I'm partial to plastic.
Bottom line, both are excellent firearms (the P-64 might be a little more excellent though). Can't wait for the next range trip.
Last edited by milsurpcop on October 6th, 2007, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
protector

Ordering one now

Post by protector »

milsurpcop,the catch on the PA63 is on the left side of the magazine, you might take a small screwdriver and bend it out ever so gently(just a little)so it will hold properly.On my 2 PA63's I fluffed and buffed the feed ramps,they both gobble up SB94HP's like water running out of a fawcett.I did this also to my P64 and it's the same ,eats like a fat kid on a watermelon!!
Aim small,hit small...
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ordering one now

Post by trent »

"eats like a fat kid on a watermelon!!" hahaha thank you protector you just made my morning
milsurpcop

Ordering one now

Post by milsurpcop »

Thanks for the tip, after I stop laughing about the watermelons I'll give it a try.
protector

Ordering one now

Post by protector »

They always say two's company's and three's a crowd,but this is the company I keep!Dennis wattle grips on all three.milsurpcop I highly recommend Dennis grips to me compared to the plastic,their the beez neez!Image
Aim small,hit small...
ozarker

Ordering one now

Post by ozarker »

Those wood grips look very nice.. Adds quality... In the summer, being retired, my dress is T-shirt and shorts. I carry with a fanny pack, billfold, etc and my P64. To shorten a long story I recently flew out to the East coast to take a little vacation and drive my wife home(Missouri). She had taken her Kel-Tec P32. Of course I had to leave my P64 at home. She wanted me to carry her P32. So I put it into my pack. Didn't think about the quality, weight, etc until we returned and I put the P-64 back in. Boy! that pack with two additonal mags are heavy.
commandercob

Ordering one now

Post by commandercob »

I got out to the range yesterday and tried out my new Hornady 95gr JHP, and it was terrible! Every shot would go bang, eject, but fail to properly load next round. It jammed my magazine up so tight I was afraid of doing damage to the gun. Then I started shooting old Bulgarian 93 gr FMJ, and it with off without a hitch. I was dissapointed with the performance of the Hornady because it is such clean ammo, but not with that kind of risk.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Ordering one now

Post by blinddog »

I'm gonna do a +1 on Hornady. They feed very well in all of my P-64's. BUT Silver bear is also one of my favorites. Great ammo also. I guess it's all in what ya' like. :)
protector

Ordering one now

Post by protector »

commandercob, try a taper crimp die on those, I'm not sure if they make it for the 9x18,but if you can find it,I'm sure it will cure the problem.Also make sure you seat them far enough to clear the mag.
Aim small,hit small...