Questions from a newbie

Info, pictures, advice...
coachguillot64

Questions from a newbie

Post by coachguillot64 »

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and have a few questions...I hope you will indulge me. I am intrigued by the 9x18 round and am planning on buying a pistol that fires it. I have been researching the different choices and have been looking for the best using quality and price as the main criteria. From my research, it would seem that the P-64 would be one of the front runners. I have noticed others mention the quality of the pre-war models being superior to the later models. I was wondering what serial designations/years would be considered the pre-war. Also, what would be a fair price for one.
As a side note, I am planning sending in my C&R paperwork soon, but I am concerned about having so my address changes in the last few years due to being a Hurricane Katrina refugee living in New Mexico (with no intention of EVER going back).
p.s. i was unable to ever get an activation code sent to my regular e-mail adress which is through Yahoo. I used my AOL account instead, and then tried to switch it back to my Yahoo account...but alas, the same problem...no code in inbox or bulk/spam.
Anyway, thanks for having me!!!
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Questions from a newbie

Post by anjdrifter »

welcome aboard there is no bad year or good year64s :D some prefer certain years round hammer trianglular and etc. I have three different ones all stock except grips/stocks love em all like a first child.
Last edited by anjdrifter on August 24th, 2007, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Questions from a newbie

Post by normsutton »

coachguillot64

welcome

I don't under stand question about the C & R and your email address

P-64 Variations
http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1141595578
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
coachguillot64

Questions from a newbie

Post by coachguillot64 »

C&R- I don't know how to fill out the form. Not enough blanks for the past addresses (due to the hurricanes)...the form warned not to alter the form. I also doubt the local LE agency will want to check with that many agencies.

The e-mail address problem was addressed to the moderator. I don't know why I cannot get activation code to go to my Yahoo account. Is there anything that can be done on your end?

Thanks for the help!!!
Last edited by coachguillot64 on August 24th, 2007, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Questions from a newbie

Post by papabear »

coachguillot64,

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya here, come and stay a while!!!

I don't know much about the pre-war 9x18 pistols, however, as anjdrifter and I'm sure others will attest, there are several versions of the 9x18 out there. Price wish, the P-64 w/ 6 rd mag and <s>CZ83</s> CZ82 w/ 12 rd mag are probably in my opinion the best options for function and price, there are course the Makaorv's, which are excellent 9x18 also but price wise are usually much higher, although the Bulgarian is a fine 9x18 and its price is reasonable, but generally speaking it runs a little higher usually, the Hungarian PA-63 is a alloy gun and for me to light and hard to shoot, and BR-61 or MR-61 I'm not sure which is one is the 9x18 I think the MR-61, but someone will straighten me out on that one, and there is a Walther-PP in 9x18. So price & quality wise I would go with either the P-64 or the <s>CZ83</s> CZ82 both in the $200 range now, however if you look around I am sure you can still get a P-64 for under $200. As for the P-64, there are three variants but with only two major changes the origainal [64-71] and a slight change in the hammer in 71 and then in '72 there was change in the trigger spur and they changed the hammer from a round hammer to a triangular hammer. I now own 2 P-62 but at one time I had 5, and I have two Makarov's, a E. German and a Bulgarian, and I am strongly looking to get a <s>CZ83</s> CZ82 in the near future.

Hope this answers some of your questions and hope to see back here often.

Take Care,

papabear
Last edited by papabear on August 25th, 2007, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
coachguillot64

Questions from a newbie

Post by coachguillot64 »

Thanks for the info papabear.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Questions from a newbie

Post by normsutton »

coachguillot64

to change address for C&R
as far I know you need this form

PM dickfunk and abwehr
on your email problem

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
coachguillot64

Questions from a newbie

Post by coachguillot64 »

coachguillot64

to change address for C&R
as far I know you need this form

PM dickfunk and abwehr
on your email problem

NORM
coachguillot64

Questions from a newbie

Post by coachguillot64 »

Thanks for the advice Norm. I think it was probably you ??? that directed me to this site from the "Outdoors Best" forum.
Thanks,
Pete
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Questions from a newbie

Post by normsutton »

Pete

Don't think I've been on that forum ,my handle is the same on any forum I'm on
we try to answer all question here (the guys here are the best )

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
coachguillot64

Questions from a newbie

Post by coachguillot64 »

Thanks for the speedy reply Norm. You guys obviously know your stuff. I've been surfing around the site and like it. Thanks for having me.
Pete
9x18shooter

Questions from a newbie

Post by 9x18shooter »

PB, I believe that Walther PP is 9x18 Ultra. It is slightly different to the 9x18 Mak. 9x18 Ultra or Police (same) are not the same dimensions as 9x18 Mak. I have seen some of the ammo being sold to somebody asking for 9x18 Mak. I would not use it in a 9x18 Mak gun. :'(

I think someone had posted a 9x18 caliber chart showing dimensions.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Questions from a newbie

Post by papabear »

9x18shooter,

Now that you mention it I remember that the Walther PP was a 9x18 Ultra, thanks for the reminder, I need all the help I can get.

papabear.
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Questions from a newbie

Post by carguy »

Coachguillot: If I understand your concern it isn't that you need to change your C&R address but that you've had multiple addresses since Katrina. I don't think there will be much of a problem with your address changes due to Katrina relos. Fill out the form as best you can, attach an addendum with any additional addresses that can't fit on the original form and an explanation.

The local LEOs have nothing to do with your C&R, you simply send the local police chief / sheriff etc a letter notifying him of your application for a Federal 03 Curios & Relics license. They usually circular file it. The feds do the paperwork not the local LEOs. Just follow the instructions, it took about 3 weeks and I received mine in the mail.

Finally, I think papabear was referencing the CZ-82 not CZ-83. The 83 I believe comes in 380 and 32 cal. not 9x18. And the
CZ-82 is C&R eligible unfortunately the P-64, PA-63, CZ-83 are not.

Good luck these little buggers seem to multiply all by themselves. Open my safe and you'll find a P-64, CZ-82 and Bulgarian Makarov...all in 9x18. I love this caliber and keep looking for more of the same (same caliber, different models).
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Questions from a newbie

Post by beasleydano »

+1 with carguy.

The CZ83 is also chambered for 9x18 (limited edition). I have one in nickel finish. It uses the same magazines as the CZ82.