Newbie bought a P-64

Info, pictures, advice...
doctormike

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by doctormike »

Bought a P-64 last week when I had to send my brand-new Taurus PT-111 back to the factory. Nice little pistol - accurate and built like a tank - but the recoil gets pretty painful after firing off a magazine or so. I sent off for a new 22# recoil spring, which may help a bit. I was wondering what other modifications or additions people had made to mitigate the effects?

There are also a couple of small rust spots on the pistol - primarily on the slide just inside the extraction port. Any tips on how to properly deal with that?

In addition, does anyone have any experience with the FEG .32 pistols now on sale at the surplus sites? Look superficially like the same gun chambered for a smaller round.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by normsutton »

doctormike

WELCOME

Your going to have to flatten the ends of the 22# recoil spring to get it in.
we had to gun grip makers on this site that help with recoil
http://bondgrips.jeffreyjr.net/ and

http://www.marschalgrips.com/
small rust spots on the pistol can buffed out and then cold blued

FEG .32 pistols
are the same as the PA-63

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on August 16th, 2007, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by papabear »

doctormike,

First of all, welcome aboard, glad to have ya with us.

Second, if the rust spots are small, you might try 0000 steel wool and any decent gun oil and try to rub it out, but if it is pitted you might have to do what Norm suggested and buff it out and cold blue it. If you have to do that I would use "Brownells" OXPHO-BLUE, follow directions, this is the best cold blue I have ever used.

http://www.brownells.com/

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by duggi60 »

Welcome doctormike to a great forum with knowledgeable
members who have just the right rxs. for your P 64 pistol.

;D
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by blinddog »

welcome, this is a really fun group and a gathering of some of the greatest minds on 9x18 pistols around!!
saands

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by saands »

On small rust spots, I have used Flitz polish with a soft rag and it buffs the rust out without taking the blue off ... How? I have NO idea, but it does smell like ammonia IIRC and that probably has something to do with its success. Some P64's can handle the 22# recoil spring without any mods to the spring and some can't ... you'll find out which you have soon enough! Also, if you really want to tame the recoil and don't mind spoiling the looks, the Hand-All Jr. from Hogue fits well and does help ... looks like hell, but it works.

Welcome aboard,
Saands
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by garry »

Howdy Doctormike . I agree with Saands, I have a Hogue grip made for the Makarov/Walther PPK , and i just cut off the bottom to the right length, and it works great at reducing recoil. It alo looks less attractive than the Grips made by members here at this forum, BUT, Function is great and comfort is much improved over the stock grip. another alternative is to reload ammo with reduced powder. Many members here can give you their recipes for many different powder loads and most are made to "soften" the kick of the P-64.
Personally , I found that the Hogue grip satisfies my hand and feels alot better. (at least until i can get a set from members here.) And at a $6-10$ price is a very fine fix ,even if only temporary. Also , you could try a glove during range practice to help relieve some of the kick.
The Hogue Grip was the fastest/cheapest/easiest Fix i could suggest to you. Good Luck and I hope this helps. Happy Shooting !! G
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by devlinfaust »

doctormike,

Welcome to the forum! When I bought my P-64's, the recoil was so bad, that I said if I couldn't defend myself with the first five shots, I'd had the pistol to my assailant and let him put me out of my misery!

But, on this site, someone suggested holiding the pistol not quite so tight, and it made a very big diffrence. The addition of the new springs and that Hogue slip on grip has got my P-64's to the point where they are now downright comfortable to shoot.

So, for about an extra $25 and some time, you can have a pistol that is reliable, accurate, compact and built very well that won't bust your hand every time you shoot it.

Doctormike, I think the prognosis for you having a long and healthy relationship with your P-64 is great. I know of no one who has one of these that has voiced any regrets!

Again, welcome.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by grayfox »

A way to take rust off a gun without damage is to use a brass shell casing, rub gently. It will remove rust w/out messing up the bluing.
michaelap

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by michaelap »

the first time I shot my P-64 it bit me pretty good, small railroad tracks does anyone else have or had that problem? My hands are not big.
michaelap

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by michaelap »

Also a question about the slip on grip the hogue, If later I want to remove it will it be easy or should I expect it to melt a little? I bought on today on Gary's advise. Thanks.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by anjdrifter »

2 answers for 2 questions your hands might be big but I found it is all in the way you hold it. ..with it empty grip it and then work the slide to see the travel. or fire at range and be cognizant of the track.

2 answer the grip slips off no problem. they stretch on and off...
might be in Cleveland soon for a week or so Will be happy to show you what I mean.. actually will be in Medina and Wadsworth.
Last edited by anjdrifter on August 31st, 2007, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by normsutton »

michaelap

Try holding the gun lower on the grips , this common on small auto's , I have small hands and its happen me
to more times than I care to take about

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
michaelap

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by michaelap »

anjdrifter, I sure do appreciate the offer I am actually very close to medina. I love this place I bought my P-64 because it was inexpensive and I wanted something smaller to carry, I was amazed to see what was being said about thes maks, P-64 etc. Really made me feel like I stumbled onto something really cool.
michaelap

Newbie bought a P-64

Post by michaelap »

And Norm, will do next time, I actually didn't notice until we were in the car after. My wife noticed first while I was driving.