new p-64

Info, pictures, advice...
gringo

new p-64

Post by gringo »

Hi everyone, I just got a new p-64 at a gun show a couple of weeks ago and haven't had time to enjoy it yet. It is my first surplus gun and I was wondering about cleaning it. I believe it is unissued and is a 1975. I have searched and read several posts on this site, everything from cooking it to brake cleaner and I was wondering if this would be sufficient. I bought a can of gunscrubber and a can of break free. Do I need to take the grips off or will those not mess them up? Thanks for any input.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

new p-64

Post by normsutton »

gringo
WELCOME
yes take the grips off they are plastic,and the slide
I know nothing about gunscrubber and break free
but if it will take Cosmolin off try it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
protector

new p-64

Post by protector »

Brake cleaner(aerosol) will take everything thats there off ,down to the bluing,been using it for years,DO NOT GET IT ON PLASTIC!
Aim small,hit small...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

new p-64

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Gringo,
Welcome to the forum, lots of good info here and you are going to love your new P64.
Keep the break free handy, it is one of the finest products on the market, I use it every time I clean my pistole's. Several manufacturers include small packets with their products.
Gunney Rabbit
gringo

new p-64

Post by gringo »

Thanks for the info, I had been checking out this forum for quite some time before stumbling across one at a gun show and thought I had to get it. I guess I should shoot some cleaner in the magazines, will it harm them?
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

new p-64

Post by trent »

the magazine bottom is plastic, I wouldn't get the stuff on the plastic
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

new p-64

Post by garry »

Hello Gringo ! Good call researching this site before buying ! Most of us bought first ,then, looked it up here. By now you know that the fine folks here can help and answer most of your questions pertaining to the Polish Radom P-64 pistol.
I found this info on Google search and it may help to understand cosmoline better and "melting" it out is another option for removal :
Chemically, cosmoline is a homogeneous mixture of oily and waxy long-chain, non-polar hydrocarbons.
It can range in color from white to yellow, and can differ in viscosity and shear strength.
Cosmoline melts at 113-125 °F (45-52 °C) and has a flashpoint of 365 °F (185 °C).

Welcome and Good Luck ! G
Last edited by garry on August 17th, 2007, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gringo

new p-64

Post by gringo »

so baking it off might not be a bad idea, i still haven't had time to sit down and get the cosmoline off, it's killing me that it is just sitting in the safe waiting. thanks for everybody's input, once i finally get to try it out at the range I'll give a report.