Reason for CCW

Info, pictures, advice...
ozarker

Reason for CCW

Post by ozarker »

Did any of our members see ABC's 20-20 the other night? The reporter was John Stosel (sp) There was 10 subjects like a myth buster. One of the myth's was that gun control reduces crime, etc. in this country. Be it city. county, state. The truth according to the report was that gun control does not reduce crime. They interviewed several in prison and they did not care about what the law was. law enforcement, etc. They would and could find all the weapons on the street and they would carry. All said their worry was the average citizen. They had no way of knowing who was carrying. The report went on to say that was the reason so many states had changed their laws to allow for CCW. Finally a little truth. I apologize to our new member outside of the U.S. would might not of had the chance to see this report.
nscale

Reason for CCW

Post by nscale »

Ozarker,
Unfortunatley I missed this, but I am certainly surprised that one of the major networks aired anything pro-gun. From what I understand this does not fit in with thier agenda. Short of local news and weather, I find myself tuning into FOX for national news. I agree with you "finally a LITTLE truth". It's about time.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Reason for CCW

Post by abwehr »

I bet CBS would never air anything like that!
burnsie

Reason for CCW

Post by burnsie »

Stossel is actually a real straight-shooter. He tends to be the exception to the rule, and his "investigative reporting" is really top notch. I read his book "Give Me a Break: How I Exposed Hucksters, Cheats, and Scam Artists and Became the Scourge of the Liberal Media", and he definitely has libertarian tendencies. He reports on governmental corruption just as much, or even more than corporate corruption.
daysleeper

Reason for CCW

Post by daysleeper »

I think the laws should be much, much stricter regarding the acquisition of handguns. While it's true the crooks can easily get their hands on guns now, that fact is a result of the lax gun laws in this country throughout its history. I think gun owners should be licensed, there should be no private sales allowed, there should be hefty fines for owning one illegally or not reporting thefts, and one day I'd like to see technology breakthroughs that would only allow a gun's owner to fire it. Yes, I understand that criminals can get guns now, but if they tighten the laws, eventually it'll be much, much harder for them to get them and we'd live in a land where a law-abiding citizen would be much more likely to own a gun than a criminal.
cruiser

Reason for CCW

Post by cruiser »

And only the "law abiding citizen" will be the one jumping through all the hoops! And also the only one with the registered gun that only he can shoot! Who is the "day" sleeper here?
No personal attack implied.
warthog

Reason for CCW

Post by warthog »

well, here in IL, the point is moot anyway.
Chicago only allows its Aldermen and the Mayor to carry.
The rest of us can't be trusted.
ANd the rest of the state toes the Chicago line. :(
bobe

Reason for CCW

Post by bobe »

New poster here. If you were in a home defence situation, and went down, what good would the weapon do if she/he needed to take up the fight ? Not much, I think.
Bob
P. S. Is this a great forum or what?
fjblackesq

Reason for CCW

Post by fjblackesq »

warthog: Correction.... members of the active and retired constabulary (cops) can also carry. and don't forget Daley's bodyguards.
warthog

Reason for CCW

Post by warthog »

Yes, sure, the cops past and present can carry too. That is a given and doesn't make it any easier to take.
ozarker

Reason for CCW

Post by ozarker »

I have a group of retirees that I have breakfast with about 3 times a week. One is a retired Missouri Highway Patrol Trooper. According to him to carry he has to quailify like a active trooper would. He hasn't shot his weapon since retiring and has no plans too. Therefore he is not good to carry... He however thinks he would have professionial courtesy and get by if so so desired to carry. Tonight on local TV (KY3--NBC outlet) 10pm news will have a segment on Missouri's CCW law. Also on other forums I hear Minn has lost their fight this year to get a CCW passed. Neb & KS are trying. Lets hope it get passed in those two states...
burnsie

Reason for CCW

Post by burnsie »

Daysleeper:

I strongly disagree. Gun control laws founded with "good intention" have a usual tendency to gradually go too far, way too far. The only people whose rights are trampled are the law abiding folks in the end. It's that dang SLIPPERY SLOPE! Never fails in politics.
daysleeper

Reason for CCW

Post by daysleeper »

I just want it so that citizens can buy guns and criminals have to steal them. I know what you are saying about slippery slope, but that's a different problem that's not even related to gun control. I'm always thinking about these desperate, violent SOBs and I want to do things that they don't like. I don't believe we have to make things easier for them so we can have the freedom to own and carry. I think criminals support Charlton Heston and the NRA 100%. Ole Chuck would get a standing O if he popped into prison to give one of his speeches. But if there's a skinhead or neo-nazi or gang banger out there reading this I'd bet he'd love to pop a cap in my ass.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Reason for CCW

Post by himmel »

Wait a minute--the "slippery slope" has nothing to do with gun control??? Would you care to ask the Australians about that? That is, if they aren't too busy hiding from a handful of malcontents with iron bars and ball bats. Or if you don't want to go that far, I suspect our neighbors to the North might have a view on slippery slopes and gun control...
Last edited by himmel on February 7th, 2006, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tunnelrat

Reason for CCW

Post by tunnelrat »

Wait a minute--the "slippery slope" has nothing to do with gun control??? Would you care to ask the Australians about that?
Or the Scots, or the Brits?

Gun Control doesn't affect criminals -- they don't obey the law anyhow. Whether or not there are laws against it, felons will always find a way to have firearms.

On the other hand it is the law abiding citizen who is affected by gun control laws. We have to pay extra for the NICS check, and for the mandatory locks, and we have to go through a background check.

In my home town I have to register just to own a handgun, but criminals don't have to. In Ohio I have to take an expensive class and go through yet another background check (FBI -- at my expense!) in order to get a carry license, but criminals can carry without restriction.

Every law you would propose is going to affect me, not the criminal. The "lax" gun laws of years ago have not resulted in arming criminals. If that were the case, they would have a bunch of revolvers. Instead criminals have modern weapons, the same as us. It wasn't the old "lax" gun laws that caused the problem.

All your gun laws do is to disarm the law abiding in the face of the criminal, and to punish those who make an effort to defend themselves. You have only to look at Australia, England, and Scotland for the proof.