Concealed Carry with one in the tube?

Info, pictures, advice...
spyguy

Post by spyguy »

I was talking to a friend the other day that mentioned a concern with my P-64 as a concealed carry weapon. It prompted me to reconsider something that I had previously dismissed and would love to hear other opinions on the matter.

The issue was in regard to carrying my P-64 with a round chambered and the hammer de-cocked. My friend pointed out the fact that my P-64 does not have a firing pin blocking device like found on his 1911. He said that if I were to drop the gun or somehow impact the back side of the hammer while it was de-cocked and in my holster, that it could actually discharge a round.

I know this is an issue that can happen.....but has anyone ever experienced this with a P-64? It seems to me like the cylindrical mechanism within the safety would stop the hammer from depressing the firing pin.

I freely admit that I am not confident enough in either of my P-64's to chamber a round, de-cocked it, then drop it or smack the hammer with something.....just seems like a bad idea.
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by rlj102468 »

Almost makes you want to chuck one up in a vise and whack it once doesn't it? Well almost. I carry with one chambered but I try not to drop it or let anyone sneek up on me with a hammer ;D!

Bobby J.
9x18shooter

Post by 9x18shooter »

If it is functioning properly.... The hammer will not contact the firing pin unless the trigger is in the rear (pulled) position. If you UNLOAD IT

pull the hammer back
pull the trigger while lowering the hammer and keep the trigger back
now push the hammer forward
slowly release the triger and keep pushing the hammer forward and releasing it
you will see that when the trigger goes forward a little the hammer can no longer move forward to contact the firing pin. ;D
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by dolang1 »

I carry with one in the tube, with the safety on, hammer down. Last year, my brother dropped my P-64 loaded as previously described, on a hardwood floor, from waist high, and it did not fire. This is not a guarantee, but it was an accidental test that we survived. Other than the 10 minute walk back to the scene, it was painless. Later Don
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I carry mine with one in the chamber. I also carry my 1911 cocked and locked. I have an extended thumb safety on my 1911. If i don't carry it correctly the lock can be disengaged and you have a real hot weapon. With the P-64 I don't see how that can be done on accident, also l like the fact when in the safe mode you need a really big hammer to make the firing pin move. JMHO P-64 is a really safe weapon to use for ccw.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

With one in and the safety on, the hammer is blocked, and the trigger disabled. If the safety isn't broken, it will block the hammer entirely from hitting the firing pin, even upon a forceful and direct impact with the hammer spur. A P-64 in good working order is safe to carry with one in the chamber and the safety on.
spyguy

Post by spyguy »

Well, I guess that's that! Thanks for all the replies.

dolang1, Sorry it had to happen but glad to hear that someone else tested it for me....lol

After doing a few repairs and modifications to the gun I thought that it was a pretty safe bet. I guess the input that I received was from someone that has much more experience with firearms in general, but had admittedly never handled a P-64.

I think I am glad I asked, and more glad that I seem to have been mis-informed.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I carry hot, safety off. A safety between my shoulders and a 300lb trigger are all I need. ;)
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

Same here, except mine's in the small of my back/5 o'clock.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

I use that little clip that you can get for about twenty bucks (they used to advertise on the message board), and it goes in the small of my back. I carry it hot and safety off.

One thign worth consideration relates to there being more than one issue regarding "safety" of carry. Aside from whether or not it would go off if dropped (I strongly doubt it), the other question is if you had to deploy the pistol in an emergency situation, would you be able to remember to smoothy rack in a load or even to switch the safety off? I would like to think that I would do have the time and presence of mind to do those things in an emergency situation. On the other hand, I would never draw the pistol on someone unless it was an extreme situation and I was going to use it, if I had to. That being the case, I view the pistol as ultimately more "safe" if it is ready to go if it is drawn.

But that's just my own opinion, and I will happily admit to having never been in a gunfight--hope I never am!

If I ever got to thinking that the P-64 wasn't safe to carry 'hot' without the safety, I'd have to get something else that I had confidence in. But given the trigger pull and the hundreds of rounds of put through both of my P-64's, as well as the testimonials by persons on this site, I personally feel confident about the P-64.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+4 with dickfunk - Trent - devlinfaust, carry hot and safety off and mine is usually with a clipdraw and either strong side or crossdraw.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on July 25th, 2007, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
9x18shooter

Post by 9x18shooter »

+5 Hot and safety off in one of Troys holsters. I think it is as safe a most modern DA revolvers. Safer with stock springs. Just my opinion. It would be to difficult to switch off the safety being a lefty. ;D
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

joining the bandwagon here--one in the tube and safety off, carried IWB crossdraw. If the safety was down to fire, up to safe, I would carry it "on" maybe, like I do my Zastava--but pushing up with my thumb is too awkward to even consider in a stress situation, especially after I've tried to train my thumb to sweep down while toting the Zastava.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

hot and safety off just like a wheel gun.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

how do you like that zastava, himmel? I had concidered one but never heard any reviews