Problem

Info, pictures, advice...
coaster

Problem

Post by coaster »

I like the P64, very accurate for such a small handgun. But occasionally the slide will hang up all the way in the rear position. Has any one else experienced this problem?

Roy Cope
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Problem

Post by trent »

That happens about every 6 and occasionally 7 shots, the only remedy is to add liberal ammounts of ammo to your empty magazine. Sorry I'm a doofus ;D
Last edited by trent on July 13th, 2007, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
barnett3006

Problem

Post by barnett3006 »

make sure your recoil spring is on the right way. the small end should go on first.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Problem

Post by normsutton »

Roy Cope

Yes we have a few, most of the time like its like Barnett said the recoil spring is in backwards or a week or dirty trigger guard spring but most of the time its the recoil spring is in backwards

and welcome back

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on July 13th, 2007, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Problem

Post by devlinfaust »

Coaster,

Never had that problem. It must be in the recoil spring--backwards or weak. Defintetly something you want to get remedied, though!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Problem

Post by papabear »

That happens about every 6 and occasionally 7 shots, the only remedy is to add liberal ammounts of ammo to your empty magazine. Sorry I'm a doofus ;D
+1 with Trent,

I like your being doofus, I guess it takes one to know one........... ;D
Its usually after 6 rounds for me...... ::) Sorry about that coaster, no flame meant!

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Problem

Post by carguy »

I had this happening regularly once I replace the recoil spring with a 20# and an 18# trigger spring. I got stuck ever mag and had to beat the front of the slide behin the front sight with a rubber mallet several times to gete it to release. This has since stopped being a problem once I put the original recoil spring back in. It had to be something about the dimensions of the replacement spring that was on the barrel correctly with the small side on first (before I get comments).

Norm called me the first time it happened and the mallet beating was the only way to get it to release.

Does anyone know what the poundage is on the original recoil spring? I used a 20# from Wolf so maybe there is one in between the original and the 20?? Because I really liked the comfort of the heavier recoil spring if it would only work.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Problem

Post by blinddog »

I have the same problem sometimes, I uped the poundage on the recoil spring and that helped some. I guess I'm going to have to replace the triggetr guard spring. I think the poundage from the factory is 18# I' not positive but I think that is what it is. Funny little problem to try and figure out though isn't it?
pshootr

Problem

Post by pshootr »

I have never had this happen, but have those who have tried assembling their pistol WITHOUT the recoil spring installed and then tried slamming the slide back and forth by hand to try and see where it is hanging up? Do you see any unusual wear marks on the inside of the slide or on the frame?
coaster

Problem

Post by coaster »

Thanks guys for all your inputs, I checked the recoil spring and it is installed correctly, small end is in first, I operated the slide without recoil spring, works just fine no rough spots or hangups. Maybe I need a reolacement spring?

Roy Cope
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Problem

Post by blinddog »

Not me. All in all the gun looks pretty good. All I have to do is whack it with my hand and it will return to battery. I may have to go back to origional main spring to cushion the recoil so it does'nt hang up.