Sources for P64 grips (NOT wood)?

Info, pictures, advice...
blackadderlxx

Post by blackadderlxx »

Hello to all-

Sorry if this is a dumb question...

Is there a source for new grips that are NOT wood? I looked through the archives and saw some made by Zee that were apparently amazing. Anybody else doing something like that? I bought this little lady for the look/feel at a gun show and had no idea that it was so difficult to find parts...

Thanks
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

blackadderlxx

There is a good set over in buy sell & trade mine aren't that good but
beasleydano has a new pair

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?ac ... 1183910707

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

I wish someone made hard rubber grips for these. Alas, those of us who like those rubber grips, which would be very good for the P-64, are relegated to the Hogue slip-on (and be prepared to have to modify it) for the time being.

Parts are coming, however. Wolff spring makes some good springs and the P-64 is developing a following.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

I do so hope that parts are coming. I hate to think about the possibility of companies buying upsurplus P64s to be cannibalized in order to sell parts! I have a spare pistol just in case but I hope it doesn't get that serious!
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

I wish someone made hard rubber grips for these. Alas, those of us who like those rubber grips, which would be very good for the P-64, are relegated to the Hogue slip-on (and be prepared to have to modify it) for the time being.
I agree with this. If ever rubber grips are made for the P-64 I'll be in line to get some. Fortuntately the P-64 is a hardy pistol that does not seem to habitually need parts.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

The last time I talked to Shawn (ZEE) he told me it cost him $100. just to make the mould to make his grips and that's if they came out perfect the first time and then he could only so many grips out of a mould and that's doesn't include to price of the plastic resin and time. At $18.00 a set of grips he sure didn't make any money ,in fact if anything he lost money.

We just got a 1,000 members on this forum and a lot of us have more than one P-64, but the big grips makers have to make a profit ,and that's the bottom line.

Thank the gods that we have Chris & Dennis to make wood grips at a reasonable price because nobody else will and we need to support them or it may come a time when they don't want to do P-64 grips

maybe ZEE will start making GRIPS again but not for $18.00 ,I would pay a lot more , if I could make the moulds and get the resin I think I'd charge at no less than $30.00 to $40.00 a set maybe more for multi colored don't know can't find the stuff to do it with.

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on July 9th, 2007, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

I agree with Norm 1,000%. Shawn is a great tech and craftsman and he should be paid for his work. It's the only way anyone could continue to produce such a good product.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

I wonder if there is some sort of hard rubber compound that he could use instead of the resin? Of course, that question would be academic unless he wanted to start doing these again. He also did these grips in resin for the CZ-52. I clearly should have gotten some grips from him, when we had the chance.
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by duggi60 »

I think Zee grips would be fair at $30.00 a pair if he would start
up again making P 64 grips. I would if others are also willing to
donate say $10.00 towards a startup fund to make molds &
help with material costs.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

That's a kind sentiment, but I think we should just buy a back-up set of grips from Zee instead. The "donation" route just throws the economics of a free enterprise endeavor off, giving an unrealistic expectation of profit for the manufacturer, and of the fairness of the price for the consumer of his product. Investors expect a return in free enterprise, which causes expectations of special consideration that Zee doesn't need to be burdened with. Any producer of custom made parts just needs to find out for sure if the demand for the product is adequate to provide a profit at a reasonable price, making the endeavor worthwhile. There is a fair price for those grips out there. It may be $30 or it may be $36. If the demand increases with a favorable customer feedback, then the price may be reduced to $28.50 and still provide adequate margins. Practising realistic economical principles will make Zee or any other talented producer a successful businessman. With Shawn's talent, this approach has a real chance of becoming a genuine business because he can then manage to branch out into other products using his technique and expand his market. This is just my opoinion from my experience and education. Others are free to disagree and without malice either way, fellow members.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

Hooray for good old American capitalist thought!
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by devlinfaust »

I'd sure like to see him start up again. Maybe even see if he could make these in hard rubber instead of resin. I wouldn't be adverse to pledging or even paying in advance, if he could do so, and were so inclined. I don't recall ever hearing a negative comment on Zee's grips or his service.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I'm one of those guys that like the look and feel on good ole wood. I just dont have the bucks to put them on my guns yet. Still trying to get that other 64 its a 72 and looks just great.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

With all the grips people have purchased there must be a bunch of origional grips laying around.

I had a pair that I ruined with gun cleaner. They got all milky white and blotchey. However, I just painted them using Krylon Fusion spray paint and they look better than new. I used the white texture paint and it came out great.

I'll try to post a picture when I get one taken outside. The inside pictures of the white grips are pretty sad...

That said, it would be great to get another set of grips for backup. If we could guarantee ZEE a certain quantity of grips do you think he would be interested in doing them?
exe

Post by exe »

I would love to get some hard rubber grips. Id pay for em.

Let me know.. I check into here almost every day and would love a good set of black rubber grips.