I went to the range with my P64

Info, pictures, advice...
cz83

Post by cz83 »

last night. The recoil was punishing (call me sissy) but this gun is not design for target shooting ;D. It will be my backup weapon for now (car gun). Overall I like it, The double action is getting smoother now (better now than before). I was shooting Wolf 102? or 109? grain (not sure about the grain). Wolf ammo is sticking on the feed ramp a couple of times (don't have any other ammo to test). Overall its ok gun/fun gun. The only complain is the recoil (but it is just me). Its a keeper!!! (don't like that plastic grip its making some squeaking noise (screw is tight and no crack on the plastic at all)).
Last edited by cz83 on December 30th, 2005, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bartos061

Post by bartos061 »

Hi cz83,
You said that : "this gun is not design for target shooting". I agree but some officers in Poland has great results with it(of course only with SA fire) :) . I saw a major who has 100 points with ten shoots, to Olympic size pistol target, from 25 meter :o
bartos

PS.
Dimensions of Olympic pistol target:
whole target: 550 x 550 mm
diameter of field "1": 500 mm
diameter of field "10": 50 mm
diameter of black field: 200 mm
Last edited by bartos061 on December 30th, 2005, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

Maybe it's because I am a big guy (well over 100 kg/220 lbs., way too much pierogi and kielbasa!) and that I use a slip on grip, but the P-64 is no harder for me to handle than my baby Glock. And she can drill nice holes in the target SA!
cz83

Post by cz83 »

I might just try that slip on grip! and get more practice to get accustomed to the recoil. I don't think I can hit the target at 25 meters (bad eyesight). :'(
Last edited by cz83 on December 30th, 2005, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

cz, the heavier the bullet wt., the more this pistol is going to punish. Find some 90 -95 stuff.
The heavy for caliber bullets will also have a longer cartrige length, which, again, the P-64 wasn't designed for.
And if you have the left thumbrest replacement grip, you may have to do some work on it. The slip on grip will work, too.
Hope this helps.
nimble1

Post by nimble1 »

Finally got to shoot mine today ;D And yes, it has quite a kick but its not that bad. I can't imagine that its any worse than a Kel-Tec 3AT . It eat the hardball and HP Bear ammo with no problems at all. I do have the 16lb spring in it and the SA pull is very light!! almost too light but I will shoot it more and make a judgment about putting the old one back in.
All in all I'm very pleased with it!!
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

I, too, am starting to wonder if it isn't bullet weight that's causing people to complain of harsh recoil... I only shoot 90-95 grain bullets out of mine, as that's what it was DESIGNED for... Reliability is #1 for me, and many of the Russian bigger grain hollowpoints are actually too long dimension-wise to be reliable in a P-64 or a Makarov...

-Mark
nimble1

Post by nimble1 »

I really couldn't tell much difference between the HP loads and the ball load.People have to remember that its a small gun and a pretty potent load. As I said, I didn't find it to be too bad. No finger cut, bruises, or slide bite. I was pleased. As a primary carry gun, I too feel that reliability is # 1.
daysleeper

Post by daysleeper »

If you get a glove there's zero bite at the range. Regarding the DA pull: The weapon is meant to be loaded with the safety disengaged, which makes it a SA weapon at the range. And I don't know if this gun was designed to handle HPs. Did they even have them in the sixties? I had problems loading the HPs as well, but even if I find a brand that loads everytime I think I'll just stick with the conventional ammo for the p-64.