Mag ID

Info, pictures, advice...
Socks

Mag ID

Post by Socks »

So got my first and was at a gun show looking for a extra magazine. A guy had 6 magazines. My question is Is there going to be a number etched on the magazines? The ones this guy had which he said were real P 64 mags didn't have any markings on them at all. All 6 were nice and clean. He also had them listed as 7 rounds? Ant thoughts about these?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: Mag ID

Post by Weasel640 »

What color was the floor plate? Sometimes gun show dealers don't know what the have. The FEG PA-63 comes to mind as it's a standard 7 round magazine. But the FEG mags normally have an Aluminum colored floor plate.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

The other possibility is he had aftermarket mags made by Keep shooting. Some have had very bad luck with them and some recently have had good luck with them. All the original issue ones I have seen have numbers etched, they also have the long witness window running down the side of the mag, the Keep Shooting mags have no numbers but have the window.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Socks

Post by Socks »

The floor plates were blued like the rest of the mags. I didn't have mine with me to check but they looked the same except no numbers etched on them. So I am guessing they were copy's and he didn't know any different. I think he was honest about them as I have dealt with him before on old parts.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

If you have problems with the KeepShooting magazines, you may have to slightly modify the magazine to fit your P-64 or tune the feed lips to correct feeding issues.

I had some Star magazines that were originals, but would not feed properly. When I measured the feed lips, they were too far apart on one and too close together on the other. After adjusting them to match my working magazine's dimensions, they all work perfectly using any ammunition.
WilfredRed

Post by WilfredRed »

Socks wrote: March 25th, 2019, 1:43 am The floor plates were blued like the rest of the mags. I didn't have mine with me to check but they looked the same except no numbers etched on them. So standing desk chairs are very popular here and I am guessing they were copy's and he didn't know any different. I think he was honest about them as I have dealt with him before on old parts.
How difficult is to modify a magazine like that? Can a beginner do it?
Last edited by WilfredRed on January 20th, 2024, 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

It is relatively easy to bend them slightly. Be careful not to damage the edges or the feed lips. I used a punch to pry open the feed lips on one and a small rubber mallet to close the feed lips on another. Use a set of calipers to measure a working magazine and then match those dimensions on the others. Work slowly and do not use too much force. It doesn't take much. We are talking thousanths of an inch here. Resist the temptation to use pliers unless you have some with smooth, round jaws. You do not want to put any marks on the edges.