Did I almost blow my gun up?

Info, pictures, advice...
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

Are we saying that the bulge is caused by the force of the shell casing being forced backwards prematurely during the ignition of the powder in the casing? The powder is still igniting/expanding when the shell is being forced backwards of the barrel seating position? Wholly mackeral!
Yes, and is actually a common issue with some guns. Like I said, the Silver Bear rounds were the only ones that produced this reult - I won't be shooting these through it anymore.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

From what I have read. The cartridge is supposed to expand slightly to seal itself in the barrel during ignition.

I have often wondered how the steel cased rounds would compare to the softer brass casings. They may not expand as much which would cause them not to "stick" in the barrel.
kempin

Post by kempin »

You beat me to it, space!

A brass casing actually expands and "sticks" to the chamber under high pressure. I have always wondered the implications of having a steel case that is not as pliant as brass. If steel was that great of an option, the industry would have gone to it long ago. In particular, the Silver Bears have that "slick" chrome-like coating in addition to a steel case that would prevent a good "grip" under pressure. Perhaps this, combined with the fact that it is really a hot round, would explain some of the problems in the p-64.

I have no scientific basis for this, it is just a theory. In any case, I am going to finish my supply of Silver Bear in my Makarov--the one with an extra heavy recoil spring--and I don't think I am going to replenish my supplies. It is just too hot of a bullet to be used regularly with such low grade casings.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
amd6547

Post by amd6547 »

All of you who have Silver Bear 115's and are put off by this thread may feel free to send your supply to me, where I assure you, it will be disposed of properly....
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

The steel expands okay, it does not contract as fast as brass. These rounds work just fine and I would not be scared to shoot them again. They are hot and accurate - I like the CCI better, though.
saands

Post by saands »

Only slightly off topic, but does anyone else have a P64 that refuses to chamber the 115gr JHP Silver Bears? One of mine won't feed them out of the mag but another one will! I was thinking that it might have been different amounts of chamfering around the top of the entrance to the chamber, but the cases aren't even touching that part when they hang up. They get almost out of the mag but get stuck just before they clear the feed lips of the mag ... same mag tested with both 64s ... different results ??? ??? ???

Saands
kempin

Post by kempin »

Good one, Amd6547! I will have no problem disposing of them. (they actually shoot quite accurately) Just going to do it in the bigger pistol. If I hadn't gotten into hand loading, I would probably get more. Can't beat the price.

Saands, I have also had the problem of Silver bears chambering reliably, only with different magazines. One of my mags feeds them fine, one with some problems, and the third hardly at all. Anyone who can sugget how to fix this, I would love to hear.

I assume that you mean they don't feed from the magazine. Or do you mean that you cannot chamber the round in one of your pistols?

Kempin
saands

Post by saands »

Correct, they chamber just fine, but wont negotiate the turn into the chamber because they catch (just barely, but they do) on the feed lips. I'd bet that the mags that you have that work have shorter feed lips (or lips that sit farther back) than the ones that don't feed. I just tried another mag and it feeds fine in the "good" one and ot at all in the picky one. I'd bet your P64 is right between my picky one and my "eat anything" one.

I'd love to have a CMM to be able to measure these puppies accurately and figure out just what the difference is.

Saands
kempin

Post by kempin »

Saands,

Maybe we should start a thread about this, since I am sure it is not unique to us.

Personally, though, I really haven't had any time yet to look it over closely and try to figure what is going on. Generally speaking, my pistol has continued to improve performance the more it is broken in. My approach so far has been to feed ammo that works thought the ornery mags on the off chance that they would smooth out. I hope it is something that just requires a bit of buff or polish, but I am always hesitant to put my hand to it.

Some day when I get time, (that mythical day), I may sit down and really try to figure it out, but if anyone else has already fought that battle, I would sure love to hear . . .

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin