PPU bulged cases.

Info, pictures, advice...
Red Dog Leader

PPU bulged cases.

Post by Red Dog Leader »

Well second topic....

Saved my cases from the 1st rounds put thru new pistol, might reload for it....
PPU 93FMJ
PPU 95 JHP
Red Army 93 FMJ
HOR 95 FTX

Many bulged PPU cases, 93 or 95? dont know.
Will reshoot and keep track of grain bullet.

any body else see this with PPU?
thanks, RED

https://photos.app.goo.gl/a4fQuLLX7Y7LWXoT9
Red Dog Leader

Re: PPU bulged cases.

Post by Red Dog Leader »

just shot 6 of each, then mixed each in with HOR FTX, no bulges, interesting...
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

I have tried the PPU with similar results. All PPU brass goes in the scrap bucket. After stretching that much, I cannot see it holding up for long after reloading and would be concerned about it blowing the side out entirely. In a gun where the round is not fully supported, this could cause damage to the gun, IMO.

I have had good luck with Red Army Elite. The brass does not bulge much at all and can be reloaded multiple times. It is the only brass cased ammo I will buy for my P-64s.
Red Dog Leader

Post by Red Dog Leader »

GuitarmanNick wrote: November 20th, 2018, 11:15 am I have tried the PPU with similar results. All PPU brass goes in the scrap bucket. After stretching that much, I cannot see it holding up for long after reloading and would be concerned about it blowing the side out entirely. In a gun where the round is not fully supported, this could cause damage to the gun, IMO.

I have had good luck with Red Army Elite. The brass does not bulge much at all and can be reloaded multiple times. It is the only brass cased ammo I will buy for my P-64s.
Thanks, good to know.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

PPU has been known to do this. It happens in the lower area where the feed ramp slopes away and there is no support there... There have been post about this but not in some time. Not going to spend my lunch finding them, but you are welcome to search the forum.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Wonabe

Post by Wonabe »

If you have an Academy Sports near you they stock their brand (Monarch) for about 10 bucks a box. Steel cased but that's not a flaw IMO, they weren't shooting brass back in the day and I've shot literally thousands of rounds with no issue. As cheap as it is it'd be about like reloading 9x19, pointless unless you've got a particular hand load you prefer.

I will say it's a very dirty ammo but I clean after every range trip. I have shot 350 rounds of it in one session before it started to effect the reliability, pretty good for such a small gun.
Red Dog Leader

Post by Red Dog Leader »

Thanks all for reply's...
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

I've been shooting PPU for some time. Every once in a while expect to get a hot load. I've found Red Army is good and consistent, as is Academy's Monarch.

If you want to reload, Starline makes Makarov brass for your 9x18, and Missouri Bullets sells a Spetsnaz 95 gr bullet. I also found coated bullets that work really well. I prefer my reloads to the commercial stuff. Have fun!
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

Does PPU do this in Makarovs too?
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
Nacho Man

Post by Nacho Man »

Cyndicalist wrote:Does PPU do this in Makarovs too?
I think I read something about Makarov's
doing that. PPU is pretty much all I shoot in my P64 and Mak. I save my brass and haven't found one yet. Still kinda unnerving though lol