slide peening

Info, pictures, advice...
zack

slide peening

Post by zack »

went to the range today with my new p64, i would say it was unissued when i got it, i field striped, cleaned and lubed it before shooting, first 30 rounds or so no problem, then i started to have some stove pipes, maybe just breaking in? when i dissembled the gun when i got home i noticed some peening on the slide directly behind the safety, looks like its caused by the hammer, but the slide travels past that point, seems like a defect to me, i only fired 50 rounds
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: slide peening

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Zack, can you post pics?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
zack

Post by zack »

i need to figure out how to post picks, i looked a little closer at the damage on the slide today, i noticed the safety will not move to the safe position due to the peening on the slide, definitely a defect in the pistol, only fired 50 rounds, i am very interested in finding out what the cause of the problem is, im thinking the slide may be out of spec and the raised area behind the safety should be machined a little lower? this pistol was never fired before i got it i'm pretty sure, to see this kind of damage from firing 50 rounds is a little disturbing
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Zack, these pistols may look new, but were refurbished before importing. This is evident when you disassemble the gun. Most internal parts are new, but some are not and the frames and slides are all used. Things may not be assembled correctly, but I would expect all parts to be in spec since they all came from previously used guns. I did have one with a trigger bar that was slightly bent, but was easily straightened.

To post pictures, go to the Full Editor & Preview button and use the Attachments tab to drop files.
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

I found that loading five rounds at a time instead of six solves the stovepipe problem. There are threads here that discuss the problem; it has to do with the feed lip dimensions of "new" vs, "old" magazines.