P64 Stovepipes

Info, pictures, advice...
mikeg7

Re: P64 Stovepipes

Post by mikeg7 »

No, I purchased all of the recoil springs from Wolff. The gun stovepipes with the 22lb and 18lb springs. Thinking back, I probably installed a 20lb spring years ago when I replaced the hammer spring to fix the lousy factory double action pull. I got the 22lb spring after I replaced the broken safety, as I got on a high power recoil spring replacement kick. I replaced the recoil springs in my Makarov, 1911s, and Star BM without any problems. Maybe not such a good idea with my P64.

I guess the 20lb spring hits the sweet spot for the way I grip the gun. Maybe folks who use a tighter grip won't have this problem.

I like to practice with a moderate one handed grip. For in the worse case, that is how I might have to fight in a self defense situation. I might be injured or resorting to my weak hand. I won't carry a gun that's not reliable in those situations.

Mike G.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Not a bad line of reasoning. Where did you get the Star BM recoil spring? I have 2 and love them but I am thinking the recoil springs should get replaced soon.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
dugga002

Post by dugga002 »

Just to clarify. Are you running 18lb hammer and 20 lb recoil springs now? I'm new to the forum and P-64 ownership. I went with the 20lb and 22lb springs initially, which was recommended by MrGunsandGear. This improved the trigger pull and recoil impulse a lot, but the PolishIron grips made the biggest improvement in the recoil impulse for me. The double action trigger pull is still heavy, so I'm considering going to the 18lb and 20lb springs, but don't want to make the single action any lighter than it is now. Any P-64 guru wisdom for me?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Changing out the hammer spring for lighter ones has made the SA trigger too light for many here. I am running the 17lb spring and I found that while it did lighten up the SA a bit I can work with it but many can't. So if you go to the 18lb do not throw the 20lb away. Try it out for a bit and see what it does for you.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.