P64 Stovepipes

Info, pictures, advice...
mikeg7

P64 Stovepipes

Post by mikeg7 »

My P-64 has the Wolff spring 17 lb hammer spring, standard power recoil spring, (had the extra power recoil spring), extra power magazine springs:

This gun stovepipes once almost every mag with 3 different mags, with extra power and standard power recoil springs, and the firing pin spring that came with the extra power recoil spring.

Has anyone had this problem, and if so what did you do to fix it?

Thanks,

Mike Goldstein
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P64 Stovepipes

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Mike.

What brand of ammo are you using?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Two things come to mind. 1). Make sure the gun is properly cleaned and lubed. 2). Could you be limp wristing it?
mikeg7

Post by mikeg7 »

It has malfunctioned with Brown Bear, and the latest was 94 grain Monarch FMJs.

BTW I just now tried it with a strong two hand grip, and I got a stovepipe on the 3rd round.

Maybe I need to try standard weight mag Springs. (Oops, all they offer is +5%)
mikeg7

Post by mikeg7 »

Ok,

I oiled up, (not that it was bone dry) and got a stovepipe with a one handed grip.

I next tried it with a convolsive two handed grip and got through all 7 rounds without a problem.

I really like this gun for CCW and can imagine many situations were a one handed grip would be used in self defence.

Is the P-64 known to be prone to limp wristing malfunctions?

I've shot this gun in the past without this problem, but it started after I replaced the safety lever/drum from another gun after this one broke.
mikeg7

Post by mikeg7 »

I think the next thing I'm going to try is to take the exractor out and clean that area up.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Try manually cycling without firing to try to tell where in the cycle they may be getting caught up. Also check your fired brass for clues as well. You'll be looking for bulges and/or drag marks in the primer.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Is the extractor hook broken? This gun being a straight blowback action will fully cycle without an extractor but fully positive extraction of the case so it always clears the ejection port is not 100% without the help of the extraxtor hook pulling the case back hard against the ejector. Check the extractor hook.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
mikeg7

Post by mikeg7 »

The extactor channel was a bit dirty, but the extactor was not damaged. I cleaned and reassembled. I had a stovepipe with a onehanded hold after cleaning the extactor; though not loosly held. I then gripped the gun very tightly one handed and had no stovepipes.

I've ordered the 20lb mid power recoil spring to see if that helps. (I had the problem with both the 18 and 22 lb recoil springs)

As I've already stated, I never had this problem in the past; maybe since I've replaced all the springs, the gun is requiring a break in period.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Is the recoil spring on the barrel correctly? The narrow end needs to be on the breach end of the barrel. I am thinking that if it is reversed that maybe the slide is not retracting as far as possible thereby causing the weak ejection and stovepipe issue. Maybe?
mikeg7

Post by mikeg7 »

Yes sir, I'm aware that the tight end goes at the bottom of the barrel next to the frame.

Thanks for the info thou.

Mike G.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Sorry did not mean anything by that question but we have had others here that did not know for whatever reason. At this time I am out of ideas, sorry.
mikeg7

Post by mikeg7 »

I installed the Wolff 20lb recoil spring.

With a fairly loose one handed hold, I fired 7 rounds without any stovepipes.

I need to fire a few more mags, but seeing I couldn't get through a mag with that loose hold without a stovepipe, I think I solved my problem.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Mike G.
mikeg7

Post by mikeg7 »

BTW, this whole problem started after having to change out my gun's safety lever/barrel.

The barrel broke in half after being slammed repeatedly during the decock.

I've heard that the factory messed up the heat treat of some of these safety lever/barrels.

This is my suggestion:

Sesing how hard it is to get parts for these excellent pistols, I suggest that we always ease the hammer down easy with the thumb when we decock.

Mike G.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Ok, I just reread all your posts about this problem. Did this gun come to you with the different power recoil springs? Because I suspect that the standard power spring, ie original oem spring, may have become too weak to funtion correctly.
However, I am happy that you seem to have corrected the problem.