New to P64s and jazzed!

Info, pictures, advice...
Granpooba

Re: New to P64s and jazzed!

Post by Granpooba »

M11293 wrote: January 18th, 2019, 9:24 pm You two are smarter than I...

I was thinking of the same thing after I fell in love with my Polish lady. One for parts, one for love. Yet, they are such great pistols, and they are only going to go up in value (such is true for the entire surplus arms market), so two nice ones would be worth it.

I would really like to have a more used P64 though. It would make a great camping pistol, or something you could hide in your car. Some say 20 oz is too heavy to carry, but I think I would take a P64 over a Ruger LCP any day. I like all steel pistols. Hornady's FTX 9 mm Mak performance is pretty stellar too.
Needless to say that I love my P-64's as I have three perfect examples of them. BUT ! Try carrying a P-64 all day and then the next day carry the LCP all day. As I have done both, I will choose the LCP every time as sometimes I forget and do not even notice the LCP on my person. The P-64 is very noticeable ! Maybe this is why my wife just purchased me a new LCP 10th Anniversary Edition.

I also have Springfield Armory, Bersa and Sig firearms for carry and self defense. And I will still choose the LCP over them. :D
M11293

Post by M11293 »

Purchased 2 United Defense mags. I have yet to try them out, but I will be sure to do so when I have a chance.

Instead of another P64, though I do plan on getting at least one more, I picked up a mint East German Mak. I can't decide which I like more! They both have their perks; one major perk of the P64 is the size and cost. I would say the accuracy seems about the same to me.
Attachments
20190206_194425.jpg
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Nice score! The East German Maks are supposed to be the best. Nice looking gun. Can I ask how much it set you back?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

That is a nice E. German example, congrats
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
M11293

Post by M11293 »

Ketchman wrote: February 25th, 2019, 1:21 am Nice score! The East German Maks are supposed to be the best. Nice looking gun. Can I ask how much it set you back?
$450. Not cheap. But I have seen them going for $600+ on auction sites, and those were equal in condition to mine. I will say it was a little hard to pony up for the EG at that price given Bulgarians can run 300-400 if you look around, but I really wanted the best Mak you can get, and folks say the EGs are the best.

They used to go for 300-400 from what I read. I think I did OK.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I would say you did quite well. And I understand about paying more for the EG when a Bulgie is cheaper, and I would have bought the Bulgie and been happy if the EG was say $525 or more. But an EG Mak in this condition for only $450, yeah you did good. :mrgreen:
M11293

Post by M11293 »

It is interesting to acknowledge the P64 as the source for my interest in East Euro 9x18 mm pistols. There really is something about these simple blow back pistols. They are so handy, yet they shoot like much larger varieties.

The natural light in this picture makes the slide look grey, but the bluing is is a deep, dark, rich black. And she sure is shiny. I would say the EG has some of the best bluing on any pistol I have owned or seen. No billboard import mark either -just a nice K100 mark on the left side of the frame.

I was actually looking/bidding at a P83, as comments in this thread and elsewhere peaked my interest. Folks were going nuts in one auction ($300+), so I looked elsewhere and scored this EG. Such it is. I will say I see another P64 and maybe a P83 coming if the prices are right. My P64 is in such great shape, it is hard to put her through the paces, so I want a more "usable" example, but then again, another beauty would do just fine.
Attachments
20190210_151037.jpg
superc

Post by superc »

I think wood grips are awesome on a P64. So too is a fiber optic front sight. :)
As issued and modified.
As issued and modified.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Very nice. How did you do the fiber optic front sight?
superc

Post by superc »

This is/was a non-reversible, happily Bubba, one way conversion. The Hi Viz Spark III Shotgun sight was, after much viewing or other fiber optic sight patterns from both Hi Viz and other makers, chosen as the height and shape most appropriate for this pistol size and design. Also it has the plus of not requiring any rear sight modification to maintain essentially the same point of impact at 25 yards or less. The original front sight was ground off so that the area was smooth. Next a # 50 drill was used for the first hole with successively larger drill bits being used until the # 31 drill bit size was reached. Then the hole was tapped for a #6 screw with 48 TPI. Then the slide was heated gently to about 130 Fahrenheit and G96 cold blue applied, buffed and re-applied after the first coat cured. Only then was the assembly installed. After the sight is in place you can Loctite it if desired. I wanted something more permanent so I Mig welded the sight screw to the slide from the underside of the slide (just a quick Zap with a long wire) and the job was done .That front sight will never fly off under recoil. I may lose the optic rod someday, but so what? The package comes with 3 spares. :)
superc

Post by superc »

comparison photos
Attachments
Sight picture
Sight picture
side by sides
side by sides
Sirrus_Rider

Post by Sirrus_Rider »

How did you get a lightpipe front sight on it?? :shock:
Mercs

Post by Mercs »

Bravo! Nice mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
superc

Post by superc »

Thanks. Makes it a better, more modern, pocket pistol IMO.
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

Has the new sight caused any snags when drawing from holster or pocket :?: