Best place from which to buy my P-64?

Info, pictures, advice...
jski

Best place from which to buy my P-64?

Post by jski »

I've contacted Classic Firearms after having perused gunbroker.com and discovering wildly varying prices and dubious quality. But I'm still not convinced that Classic Firearms is the place.

Any Suggestions?
imacbo

Re: Best place from which to buy my P-64?

Post by imacbo »

jgsales.com
southernohiogun.com
centuryarms.com
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Local stores Like Gander Mtn. and Bass Pro, etc have also had P-64s as well that one can examine before purchase. The P-64s have come in waves of shipment mostly through Century Arms. It seems that the most recent wave has had quality issues, so Century may be nearing the end of it's supply.

You said you ordered one in the Spring thread. Where did you order from? What condition was stated? Be sure to post a picture review once you get it.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

Check my thread ("P64 newb...") about a broken safety. Folks went through the options with me. The best customer service and quality I've found is DK firearms. I got a wonderful P64 from them and the shipping and service were top notch. Worth the little extra they charge, 100%.

The others are great too. Classic varies but they are good folks. Southern Ohio is a bit surly if you have issues, but ultimately they are fair and affordable. Heard good things about jandg too. And sometimes you get lucky on the auction sites...but who knows.

Good luck!
Attachments
20180501_142616-1.jpg
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

" DK FIREARMS ", without a doubt !

Purchased from Classic and did not get what I wanted or expected. When questioning them about the firearm, they did return the extra monies that I paid for hand selection. This was after asking if the fellow doing the selecting used the brail method.

I then did some more research and ended up contacting DK FIREARMS. Again, without a doubt probably the best customer service that I have come across in many years. I explained what I wanted and expected in a " hand picked firearm ". WOW ! Did they ever deliver !!

I would have to admit that the P-64 I received from DK FIREARMS is probably 99%. Reason I give it a 99% rating and not a 100% rating is because I have not shot it. You now ask me why not ? Simple explanation is that the P-64 that I received does not appear to have ever been issued or fired. Their are absolutely no wear marks of any kind on my P-64, neither internally or externally. Same with the magazine as it shows no scratches, wear marks or any indication that ammunition had ever been loaded into it.

After describing the firearm that I received from DK, how could I not highly recommend them ? Best firearm service I have received in many years.

I will also have to admit that I have viewed some very nice P-64's on GUNBROKER. But along with being a nice looking firearm, they came with a nice looking high price .

PERSONALLY ....... I would contact DK , before I went any further or contacted anybody else. And NO, I do not work for them. LOL I'm retired !!
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

THE FOLLOWING IS MAY " OLD " POSTING, FROM I BELEIVE BACK IN FEB. 2018 :D

Being Polish, I knew that I had to have a P64. Thus, I did a lot of research and decided to purchase from Classic Firearms as they were advertising " Very good to Excellent " condition P64's. And other folks were pleased with their purchase from Classic. :roll:

Well my purchased P64 was rated at about 85% by my FFL / Gunsmith. This is after I had asked Classic to pick the best and paid $20.00 extra for the service. I messaged Classic and asked if the person that picked my P64 had their glasses on or used the brail method, as what I received was definitely not what I had contracted for. :( I will commend Classic for their action which was to return the $20.00 pick of the best selection fee. I will say that the firearm is nice, but not up to my standards or my gunsmiths.

Being not satisfied, I did do some more online research and was finding that " DK Firearms " in Virginia also was offering surplus P64's. I messaged their sales department. Explained my circumstances and what I was seeking quality wise in a P64. They did respond that they had some VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT condition P64's and would personally pick the best. I decided to make the purchase and did pay the extra $10.00 for their " Pick of the Best ".

Sale went thru and firearm was shipped. I did not hear from sales, thus I emailed them and asked how the selection turned out. They explained that they did have numerous P64's in excellent condition, but three of them really stood out and they picked the best of those three for my purchase. Also asked me to advise them on what I thought of the firearm after receiving it.

P64 arrived yesterday and was viewed by my gunsmith and myself. Well, the both of us on initial look over could not determine if the firearm had even been fired. :shock: Bluing is perfect :!: Grips are perfect, with no handling marks or scratches :!: No marks on side of trigger showing that it was pulled a number of times :!: Pulled the magazine and thought that it was brand new as it showed no marks at all. No marks or scratches of ever being inserted into the firearms. And definitely showing no marks at all of ever having a round loaded into it. At this point in time, I would have to say this the firearm is perfect. Probably on a scale of 96 to 99%. I would like to grade it higher, but I have not fired it yet.

Needless to say, I messaged " DK Firearms " last evening to thank them for their time, consideration, selection and firearm that they sent me. :D I can not praise them high enough :!:

I did receive a nice P64 from Classic Firearms. But the one that I received from DK firearms looks like a new one that just came out of the factory.
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

FWIW - Southern Ohio Gun has a good sale on p64s. $195. But I'd go with DK, still. it comes with 2 mags and they are a great company.

I wish I had extra cash, I'd get the 2 for $175/ea and sell one and keep one for parts.

Alas, I do not.

Best,

Cyn.
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

Cyndicalist wrote: July 7th, 2018, 4:18 pm Check my thread ("P64 newb...") about a broken safety. Folks went through the options with me. The best customer service and quality I've found is DK firearms. I got a wonderful P64 from them and the shipping and service were top notch. Worth the little extra they charge, 100%.

The others are great too. Classic varies but they are good folks. Southern Ohio is a bit surly if you have issues, but ultimately they are fair and affordable. Heard good things about jandg too. And sometimes you get lucky on the auction sites...but who knows.

Good luck!
Those are Polish Iron grips, correct ?
If so, have you had any problems with them ? I have read where some folks have had a few problems with the right side and the transfer bar. I believe that is what it is called.

I have Marschal grips from Hungary, on one of my P-64's. Had my intials added to the grips, which are very nice.
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

I love the polish iron grips. But I'd do Marschal in a second if I could afford to right now. I know they don't chill The recoil much..from what I've heard, but even so, they look slick.

The Polish IG: The recoil difference is really noticable. There is no binding for me, but the bar does squeak a little. I'm pretty happy with them so far.

Only put 100 thru so far. But I'll keep folks updated.
jski

Post by jski »

Ordered from Classic with the "best of the litter" option. They shipped to my LGS one P-64 + nothing else, certainly no extra mag. The gun is in excellent condition with a few minor blemishes. But nothing to justify complaining about. Best of all, I wish my brand spanking new S&W's had bores that looked as good as this one's.

It was made in 1967. Not sure if that's bad or good?

And 1 other point, I've read and heard so much about the horrendous DA trigger pull but this little puppy has a manageable DA trigger pull. My wife could manage it with only minor difficulty. Does that have anything to do with the 1967 manufacturing date?
jski

Post by jski »

BTW, DK is "SOLD OUT"!
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

jski wrote: July 21st, 2018, 1:40 am BTW, DK is "SOLD OUT"!
Yes Sir, they are sold out.

It would be your decision, but you might want to consider doing the same as what I have done. I emailed DK Firearms and have received an acknowledgement . I requested that if and when they receive another shipment of P-64's that I be put on a first call list. That way, I know that I will be receiving the best of the litter.

Personally, after dealing with and purchasing from DK, I do not feel that I want to deal with any other company. Their customer service goes way beyond excellent :!: :D
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

Granpooba wrote: July 25th, 2018, 12:10 am
jski wrote: July 21st, 2018, 1:40 am BTW, DK is "SOLD OUT"!
Yes Sir, they are sold out.

It would be your decision, but you might want to consider doing the same as what I have done. I emailed DK Firearms and have received an acknowledgement . I requested that if and when they receive another shipment of P-64's that I be put on a first call list. That way, I know that I will be receiving the best of the litter.

Personally, after dealing with and purchasing from DK, I do not feel that I want to deal with any other company. Their customer service goes way beyond excellent :!: :D
I'm with you there. Good idea. I think my next p64 will be a parts gun so I might wait for a great deal on a beat up gun. But if I ever buy another hoping it to be affordable and in tip top shape? DK all the way. Without a doubt.

I wish you and OP the best either way!

Take care.
Cobalt-60

Post by Cobalt-60 »

I have had good luck ordering from AIM Surplus. While they may be fractionally more expensive than other surplus sellers, they are more likely to include other items (like a 2nd magazine) in their cost, than some other sellers. Also, IMHO, they do a better job of "grading" the quality of the used firearms they sell.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yeah you can't go wrong with Aim.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary