How do you clear a double feed or other malfunctions?

Info, pictures, advice...
kramynot2000

How do you clear a double feed or other malfunctions?

Post by kramynot2000 »

Hi all,

This is my first time post although I've been lurking for a while. I got my P64 many years ago and love it, especially after changing out the springs.

I was out shooting some of my reloads using lead bullets cast in the Lee mold. I think I may have not seated the bullets in far enough or didn't size them correctly, because I was getting a few failures to fully chamber which has never happened in the past. The problem I then had was how to clear the malfunction. In other handguns I'd lock the slide back, drop the magazine, clear it and then move on. With the P64, since there were other rounds in the mag I couldn't lock the slide back and the first time I tried to clear and out of habit pulled the slide back, the slide moved forward and started stripping another round out of the mag causing a double feed. :x

In the end, I had to pull the slide back and try to hold it back with one hand while trying to get the mag out with the other. This seemed to work OK except when I had the double feed. For the double feed it seemed I needed three hands. I had to hold the slide back, slide the second round back into the mag (from the ejection port), then remove the mag.

In the future if I get a failure to fully chamber again, I'm thinking I need to first remove the mag (so I don't get any double feed), then pull back the slide and try to clear. I guess I could also leave my second mag empty and after removing the first mag, stick the empty one in so I can lock the slide back.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask those more experienced with this handgun for their thoughts on clearing malfunctions. Is there any secret way to lock the slide back if there are rounds in the mag?

Thanks
GuitarmanNick

Re: How do you clear a double feed or other malfunctions?

Post by GuitarmanNick »

The few that I have had were easily cleared by dropping the mag and racking the slide once or twice. If one round is sticking out a little, tilt the gun so gravity helps.