P64 decocker safety

Info, pictures, advice...
Baretino

P64 decocker safety

Post by Baretino »

New member here

I recently just picked up a P64 made in 73. I've been wanting to find one for a while, always liked the milsurps, especially the family of pistols chambered for 9x18. Anyway, I like the gun, and I'd expect it to be sturdy being made for the military and all.. but after hearing all the horror stories of broken safety levers(seems to be the most common part to break) and how hard it is to find an extra, I'm nervous.

Anybody know what causes the safety lever to break, and what to do to prevent it? Possibly if it was only certain years of production that have the problems?

Thanks and sorry if I'm asking questions that have been answered before, I looked for quite a while trying to ease my mind and be happy with my purchase :?
Baretino
Nacho Man

Re: P64 decocker safety

Post by Nacho Man »

Well, that part is hard to find.
When u decock I would ease the hammer down with your free hand and use snap caps when dry firing. I think it could be a combination of alot of things, age, metal composition, abuse, but in the end nobody really knows for sure.
I will say that after taking the safety out of my gun I can see the cutout portions for the firing pin lock and areas where the metal is thinner. In my opinion, life is too short to worry about it, so go enjoy your pistol.