P64 Newb, assumptions and input requested from the collective p-64 brain.

Info, pictures, advice...
Granpooba

Re: P64 Newb, assumptions and input requested from the collective p-64 brain.

Post by Granpooba »

Cyndicalist wrote: April 4th, 2018, 1:54 pm I am leaning toward Classic, given I've heard good things about them. But Southern Ohio Gun also seems to have a solid rep.
"PERSONALLY " speaking, I would most likely lean toward SOG, before I purchased one from Classic. I to have purchased from Classic, that was stated to be in excellent condition. Upon arrival and once over by my FFL and gunsmith, it was rated as being about 85%, which does not give it an excellent rating. I brought this to the attention of Classic as it was supposed to have been at " Pick of the BEST ", at an added fee of $20.00 . I stated that either the person who picked it did not have their glasses on or used the brail method. Classic did refund the $20.00 fee.

If I were to purchase another, I would purchase from " DK FIREARMS " :!: They are very customer oriented and they deliver on their word. I purchased my second P64 from DK Firearms and it is rated at 99%. The firearm appears to have never been issued or fired. Their is the question to if it was even loaded at any time, as their are no marks in the chamber, on or in the magazine and finally no marks on the feed ramp. Their is a mark on the frame, but that could have been caused by manually operating the slide. Only reason it has not been given a 100% rating is because I have not fired it. It is in such good condition, I may just keep it on display and unfired. :)

Their is a very nice P64 listed on Gunbroker. It pretty much looks new. But the fellow wants $350.00 for the firearm. I personally would like to have it myself, but at $350.00 I really do not believe that it will sell. :roll:
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

what are thoughts on the old/new hammer styles, I was going to ask for a later 70s model, but only because I like the aesthetics of the pointed hammer - but that is kind of silly.
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

I wish safety's were not like unicorns, or I'd just fix the damn thing.
"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." - Karl Marx
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

Cyndicalist wrote: April 4th, 2018, 1:21 pm Hello,

They are taking it back and giving a full refund, which is nice of them. But what else were they going to do? Lose a customer who buys 1000's of dollars in ammo every year for a $250 gun they can part out? ( at least, I hoped they'd see it that way). They are out of P64s, so no exchange for me. And because I am in CA - I have to pay for another FFL transfer and DROS, again. and shipping.... UGH.

So, I am going to buy ANOTHER P64 from Classic, J and G, or Southern Ohio Gun - any advice on who has the best rep?
If it is not to late and you have already returned the P64, perhaps somebody else will weigh in here and agree with what I am about to say, or disagree. :hi:

If you can afford it and it sounds like you may be able to, I would consider keeping it as a " Parts " firearm.

I have read and heard that many folks do keep extra P64's and consider them only to be " PARTS " firearms. They either keep these firearms as a supply of parts for their own firearms, or sell the parts on EBAY. Or they sell the parts in some other way.

Do not know if anybody will agree with me. But that is secondary as you are the one with the broke firearm. And the one that needs to make the decision and live with it. :?

What ever the decision, good luck in finding the P64 that in the end, you will be happy with. :D
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

+1 on keeping it for a parts gun, if you can afford to. The part it could not supply you with is a safety of course but perhaps all other parts would be there.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

it was rather pricey for a parts gun. $260. I might keep it. Thanks for the thought.

Sure makes it harder.
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

Mostly thinking of returning this one, getting a good one with the money, and keeping my eye out for a good deal for a back-up/parts gun.
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

Granpooba wrote: April 4th, 2018, 3:11 pm
Cyndicalist wrote: April 4th, 2018, 1:54 pm I am leaning toward Classic, given I've heard good things about them. But Southern Ohio Gun also seems to have a solid rep.
"PERSONALLY " speaking, I would most likely lean toward SOG, before I purchased one from Classic. I to have purchased from Classic, that was stated to be in excellent condition. Upon arrival and once over by my FFL and gunsmith, it was rated as being about 85%, which does not give it an excellent rating. I brought this to the attention of Classic as it was supposed to have been at " Pick of the BEST ", at an added fee of $20.00 . I stated that either the person who picked it did not have their glasses on or used the brail method. Classic did refund the $20.00 fee.

If I were to purchase another, I would purchase from " DK FIREARMS " :!: They are very customer oriented and they deliver on their word. I purchased my second P64 from DK Firearms and it is rated at 99%. The firearm appears to have never been issued or fired. Their is the question to if it was even loaded at any time, as their are no marks in the chamber, on or in the magazine and finally no marks on the feed ramp. Their is a mark on the frame, but that could have been caused by manually operating the slide. Only reason it has not been given a 100% rating is because I have not fired it. It is in such good condition, I may just keep it on display and unfired. :)

Their is a very nice P64 listed on Gunbroker. It pretty much looks new. But the fellow wants $350.00 for the firearm. I personally would like to have it myself, but at $350.00 I really do not believe that it will sell. :roll:
Good suggestion. They DK was incredibly helpful!
Perry

Post by Perry »

I shot a clip of ammo thru my P64 before I changed the springs. If I had it to do over I would have changed the recoil spring first. The stock spring is so weak that it allows the slide to slam into the frame more then I like. The 22lb. Wolff helps that out to some degree. The 18lb. hammer spring also was a great improvement over the stock spring. Great gun!!
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

I would go with SOG first and Classic second. Either one is reputable, and I've had positive experiences with both.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Perry wrote: April 22nd, 2018, 6:59 pm I shot a clip of ammo thru my P64 before I changed the springs. If I had it to do over I would have changed the recoil spring first. The stock spring is so weak that it allows the slide to slam into the frame more then I like. The 22lb. Wolff helps that out to some degree. The 18lb. hammer spring also was a great improvement over the stock spring. Great gun!!
P64s use magazines, not clips. Clips hold ammunition which are then used to load magazines or weapons.

I tried to let that pass, but my OCD would not allow it!
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

Finally picked up my P64, after 10 days. It is a great example. Thank you to whoever suggested DK Firearms, they were excellent to work with and they sent me a great 90+% firearm. I'll post some photos and a range report soon.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Glad to hear you got a good one finally. A range report is requested.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

Cyndicalist wrote: May 1st, 2018, 5:53 pm Finally picked up my P64, after 10 days. It is a great example. Thank you to whoever suggested DK Firearms, they were excellent to work with and they sent me a great 90+% firearm. I'll post some photos and a range report soon.
IT WAS MEeeeeeeeeee :hi:

After my experience with DK Firearms and the P64 that I purchased from them. If they treated you even half as good as they treated me, I do not see how you could go wrong.

Anybody and everybody can purchase their firearms from whom ever they want. But as far as this person is concerned. I will never stop praising DK FIREARMS :!: :D
Cyndicalist

Post by Cyndicalist »

Granpooba, thank you so much for that suggestion, I let them know that I had some issues with a competitor and if they had the opportunity to find me an excellent p64 that would be greatly appreciated but not necessary.

I don't know if they did but the p64 they sent me is an excellent example. There's a tiny bit of wear around the muzzle, the feed ramp looks unused, the where on the slide is minimal, and it's an overall great example of a 1973 p64. It came with two magazines, that are both in great condition after cleaning up. Overall I am very impressed with DK. Classic firearms also offered to personally check over any that I ordered given the issues I had. And aim fully reimbursed me for the gun plus shipping. So I'm still very happy with aim, will order some stuff from classic, and will forever praise DK.
20180501_142811-1.jpg
I
Granpooba wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 12:20 am
Cyndicalist wrote: May 1st, 2018, 5:53 pm Finally picked up my P64, after 10 days. It is a great example. Thank you to whoever suggested DK Firearms, they were excellent to work with and they sent me a great 90+% firearm. I'll post some photos and a range report soon.
IT WAS MEeeeeeeeeee :hi:

After my experience with DK Firearms and the P64 that I purchased from them. If they treated you even half as good as they treated me, I do not see how you could go wrong.

Anybody and everybody can purchase their firearms from whom ever they want. But as far as this person is concerned. I will never stop praising DK FIREARMS :!: :D
Attachments
20180501_142616-1.jpg