The GOOD and the GREAT !

Info, pictures, advice...
Granpooba

The GOOD and the GREAT !

Post by Granpooba »

Being Polish, I knew that I had to have a P64. Thus, I did a lot of research and decided to purchase from Classic Firearms as they were advertising " Very good to Excellent " condition P64's. And other folks were pleased with their purchase from Classic. :roll:

Well my purchased P64 was rated at about 85% by my FFL / Gunsmith. This is after I had asked Classic to pick the best and paid $20.00 extra for the service. I messaged Classic and asked if the person that picked my P64 had their glasses on or used the brail method, as what I received was definitely not what I had contracted for. :( I will commend Classic for their action which was to return the $20.00 pick of the best selection fee. I will say that the firearm is nice, but not up to my standards or my gunsmiths.

Being not satisfied, I did do some more online research and was finding that " DK Firearms " in Virginia also was offering surplus P64's. I messaged their sales department. Explained my circumstances and what I was seeking quality wise in a P64. They did respond that they had some VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT condition P64's and would personally pick the best. I decided to make the purchase and did pay the extra $10.00 for their " Pick of the Best ".

Sale went thru and firearm was shipped. I did not hear from sales, thus I emailed them and asked how the selection turned out. They explained that they did have numerous P64's in excellent condition, but three of them really stood out and they picked the best of those three for my purchase. Also asked me to advise them on what I thought of the firearm after receiving it.

P64 arrived yesterday and was viewed by my gunsmith and myself. Well, the both of us on initial look over could not determine if the firearm had even been fired. :shock: Bluing is perfect :!: Grips are perfect, with no handling marks or scratches :!: No marks on side of trigger showing that it was pulled a number of times :!: Pulled the magazine and thought that it was brand new as it showed no marks at all. No marks or scratches of ever being inserted into the firearms. And definitely showing no marks at all of ever having a round loaded into it. At this point in time, I would have to say this the firearm is perfect. Probably on a scale of 96 to 99%. I would like to grade it higher, but I have not fired it yet.

Needless to say, I messaged " DK Firearms " last evening to thank them for their time, consideration, selection and firearm that they sent me. :D I can not praise them high enough :!:

I did receive a nice P64 from Classic Firearms. But the one that I received from DK firearms looks like a new one that just came out of the factory.

I personally can say that anybody considering the purchase of a P64 should contact the " Sales Department at DK Firearms " and explain to them what quality of firearm you are seeking. I am quite sure that they will try to comply with your request.

P.S. Yes I am particular. But then again, I am a POLLACK. A Pollack made very happy by DK Firearms :!: :D
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: The GOOD and the GREAT !

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Post pics for our viewing pleasure.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

I guess that I was lucky when I ordered mine from Classic. I did pay the $20 hand pick fee and got one that was like new except for a small ding on the front sight. Of course, I did place my order when they had a bunch of them in stock.
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

From what I can assume and from my experience, I would say that you are correct GuitarmanNick. I really feel the key to purchasing a real nice surplus P64, or for that matter any surplus firearm is to be able to find the online dealer just when they have received a new shipment of arms.

I did find a couple of real nice P64's on " GunBroker ". At least the description and the pictures that I viewed showed them to be real nice. One fellow stated that his P64 appeared to have never been fired. Pictures that he had seemed to confirm the fact. A couple of others were real nice also. One was even showing reflections in the bluing. But that also had me question it, as while the bluing on these firearms is nice. But I just never thought that it was nice enough and deep enough to reflect anything.

With DK Firearms, I did ask the sales department if they could not pick and meet the level of quality that I was looking for, to cancel my order. They did message me back that they were quite sure that I would be pleased with the P64 they had picked. They were correct. I am very pleased.
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

Another part of the story happened last evening. I received an email from Classic Firearms requesting a review of my P64, that I purchased from them. :shock:

I am not the type of person that likes to bad mouth anybody or anything. If I made a purchase from Classic and it did not meet my standards, then I feel that it was my fault for not doing enough research on them.
Thus, I did not give a bad review. On the other hand, I did not give an excellent review. I felt that the review I gave them was a " FAIR " one . :|

BUT :!: I am willing to bet that they do not post it to their site. As I have read on other pages and it may have also been posted on this forum, that if they do not receive an excellent review, they do not post it. :?

Also, just had the P64 apart that I purchased from DK Firearms. I changed out the trigger spring and barrel/recoil spring. For the life of me, I really can not tell if this firearm has ever been fired. Yes, I can see some marks where the slide may have been operated. But none of the other internal parts show any sign of wear, what so ever. :shock: Even the feed ramp does not show any marks from ammo being fed into the chamber. :o

I have a feeling that this will most likely be one of my favorite firearms. :D
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Others have commented that bad reviews they posted on Classics site never show up either.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

The review that I gave Classic was not a " BAD " one :!:

I gave Classic a " MIDDLE OF THE ROAD / FAIR " review. :)

If they cannot even accept a FAIR review, then they must have some serious issues. :lol:
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Take a look at their reviews and see if there are any fair reviews which I would think would be 3 stars.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

Even though the firearm was not up to my expectations, I did give Classic Firearms what I consider to be a " fair " review. I even gave them (4) Stars, due to the fact that they did return my $20.00 for " Pick the Best " selection, that I paid extra for. At least I feel that they did do something to try and satisfy a displeased customer. More that I can say for a lot of other companies.

But as I have also stated and I will continue to state. " DK Firearms " knocked one out of the ball park when they selected the P64 for me. I can not put into words how satisfied I am with the P64 that they selected for me. I would like to purchase another P64 from DK. But now I feel that I have already purchased the best of selections from them. :D The P64 that DK sold me, in my opinion looks just as new as when it came out of the factory in 1976. Only wish I looked as good. :lol:
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

They do have a review on Classic's website, that has ( 3 ) stars. :shock:

But :!: I still have not seen my ( 4 ) star review posted.

Perhaps they do not care for the wording. :lol: