Recoil pain. Am I holding it wrong?

Info, pictures, advice...
greysaber

Recoil pain. Am I holding it wrong?

Post by greysaber »

I got my p64, did a wolf spring install, took it to the range, and fired off a few rounds.

Each shot I feel like I'm getting cracked in the last joint of my thumb with a tack hammer. Close inspection seems to indicate that when I hold the gun to shoot, the 90 degree corner of the 'beavertail' is right on that knuckle.

Damn that stings. Am I the only one with that trouble? I don't have this trouble with other guns, but this is also my first gun of this size.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Recoil pain. Am I holding it wrong?

Post by Curly1 »

Yes it still has a bite even with the springs changed. Try polishirons rubber grips.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Most guns with short barrels will have snappy recoil like this. The fact that it is Blow Back action coupled with a very narrow grip make it feel even worse.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Foxtail

Post by Foxtail »

An almost identical size (a bit wider), weight, barrel length gun is the SCCY CPX2, which is 9mm. The P64 is a LOT more uncomfortable to shoot than the SCCY, even though the SCCY is a slightly more powerful cartridge. I think is just the geometry of the P64.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

The grip is narrower on the P64, and I think the grip is a couple more degrees upright than the SCCY.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
greysaber

Post by greysaber »

So if getting cracked in the hand is normal, what was the design team thinking?

"Long live the party! If your hand hurts comrade, drink more vodka before firing!" ??
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Foxtail wrote: January 30th, 2018, 3:24 pm An almost identical size (a bit wider), weight, barrel length gun is the SCCY CPX2, which is 9mm. The P64 is a LOT more uncomfortable to shoot than the SCCY, even though the SCCY is a slightly more powerful cartridge. I think is just the geometry of the P64.
This is like comparing Apples to Bananas. Not only does the CPX-2 9mm have a Zytel polymer frame with a "Re-Coil Cushion". It also uses a Browning style locking action that reduces recoil as well. There is a reason there are very few if any Blow Back 9mm Hand Guns. If you made the CPX-2 9mm a Blow Back version, it would hurt as well. Almost all 9mm utilizes some type of locking action that reduces recoil.

The reason for this design is easily explained by simply looking at the other popular service pistols at the time. I.E. the Walther PPK. The P-64 is nearly identical in size to the PPK, both Blow Back. But they redesigned it to fire the heavier Makarov round, and totally changed the inner workings.

Hhhmmm an Eastern Bloc country at the time, smack dab between Germany and Russia designed a weapon that looked much like a proven German side arm with a Russian twist? Totally mind boggling!!!
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
greysaber

Post by greysaber »

Weasel, all that boggles my mind is that the thing went into production without the sharp corner that is clunking me covered or curved. I suppose I'll be looking for some of the grips mentioned, as I very much like the pistol.......... I just really hate the corner on the beavertail.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Not everyones hands are designed the same either.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Ketchman wrote: January 31st, 2018, 8:20 am Not everyones hands are designed the same either.
Totally true as well. What was the average size of a person in Poland in the 60s vs today?
greysaber wrote: January 31st, 2018, 5:13 am Weasel, all that boggles my mind is that the thing went into production without the sharp corner that is clunking me covered or curved. I suppose I'll be looking for some of the grips mentioned, as I very much like the pistol.......... I just really hate the corner on the beavertail.
The different grips are a good way to help. The ones mentioned, Polish Iron are good, and easily found here or on eBay as well. If you have the time to wait, there are also the wood grips that Dennis Marschalko makes that add a different type of class to the P-64. Some people will even put slip on rubber sleeve grips around the originals for cushion.
Weasel

greysaber

Post by greysaber »

http://www.marschalgrips.com/hires-p64/P64.HTM These? Very tempting. As I said, I very much like the style of the weapon, but the knuckle cracking is a (temporary) deal breaker.

It's bad enough that I'm wondering if maybe I'm missing something, thus the thread. I don't 'think' I have particularly weird hands.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

No, you do not have odd hands, many of us here have noted the pain of recoil from this little monster. It was not designed for comfortable high round count range trips, it was designed to be dependable, available and reasonably high powered in a convienant package, which it does in spades. In order to give it a new mission you must change it's equipment loadout which means changing the grips and the Polish Iron grips are the best.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I did 125 rounds with it when I first got it, yeah it' s a punisher.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
RUT

Post by RUT »

>>Damn that stings. Am I the only one with that trouble?<<

No you're not. I took my P64 to the range once, and it will probably be the last time too. :-)