P-64 Range Report

Info, pictures, advice...
mbillups

P-64 Range Report

Post by mbillups »

Took my P-64 to the range for the first time yesterday. I have cleaned and lubed it. Replaced the fp, hammer and recoil springs purchased from makarov.com.
Love this gun! 25 rounds of S&B FMJ and 25 rounds of Silver HP.
Had one failure to go to battery and that was on the 24th HP round. I am really please with the gun. I have an imported interarms ppk/s and the P-64 feels better in my hand than the ppk/s. Of course the P-64 kicks a little more, but just as accurate. The only gun that feels better in my hand is the CZ-82.

Mort

Mort
mbillups

P-64 Range Report

Post by mbillups »

Oh forgot to add. The new hammer spring is 18lb and recoil is 20. Made a difference. I didn't think the trigger pull was that bad in the first place. Certainly not as bad as my PA-63 was. I feel the trigger pull is a little lighter than my walther ppk/s.

Has anyone every done this with a Mak? Replacing the hammer spring for a heavier one. I have two Maks EG and a Bulgarian. For my taste the trigger pulls on both could be a littler harder.

Mort
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P-64 Range Report

Post by devlinfaust »

I replaced my springs with the Wolff stuff, but I went 'lighter' with the hammer spring. It did take the DA pull down a bit. I will say that I like having the DA pull a little heavy, as I can work it with no problems, and it is hard enough to keep kids from pulling it and maybe even hard enough to make some idiot think the safety was on, if they got it away from me. In such a situation, I'd take any break I could get!

When I used the Woff recoil spring and did a hogue slip on (ugly as Hell, but functional), I found that the recoil had went from truly very bad, to actually pretty comfortable, so I was well impressed with that. The pistols shot with no problems.

The only malfunction I have ever had was a magazine problem (easily corrected) and that neither of my P-64's like Hornady hollowpoints. A pity, because the Hornaday is impressive. However, they feed everything else with no complaint and are accurate.

This Saturday, I get to try the powerball's in 9x18 for the first time!
mbillups

P-64 Range Report

Post by mbillups »

I going to put the original hammer spring back in. My bad memory says that it wasn't that bad. Let's see what spring wins? I also prefer the heavier trigger pulls. Makes me feel safer when carrying.
That's what I like about the ppk/s, at least mine anyway.

I have two boxes of Silver Bear HPs coming for further testing.
Will run last half box of S&Bs FMJs and then start on Silver Bear FMJs. Good thing I bought a yearly range membership!

Mort
mbillups

P-64 Range Report

Post by mbillups »

A little range report update. Put 75 rounds through both my P-64 and PA-63. Roughly half HP and FMJ. Too much fun to keep an accurate count. Had two HP FTGTBs with the PA-63 early on. Switch mags and put 30 HPs without any problems. Probably just the new recoil spring breaking in? Man I love the guns.

I found that I am more accurate with the P-63 DA and SA.

Mort
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

P-64 Range Report

Post by blinddog »

I know somewhere someone has posted a place to buy good 9x18 on line. I just bought some from my local gun shop for 18.00 a BOX!!!!It was &%$#@@ Winchester!!! I'm having a stroke right now. Point me in a direction where someone has had good luck and trust the place or person to purchase on line. Many thanks. I'm going to get something to settle my nerves now.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

P-64 Range Report

Post by trent »

here's a few to get you started. ( there are lots more with even better prices out there

also look for 9x18 silverbear at gunshows and online, these seem to go for about $7-$9 a box pretty much anywhere.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo.htm

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/defenseh_cjb.htm

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index. ... ategory=34
Last edited by trent on June 21st, 2007, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

P-64 Range Report

Post by normsutton »

Last edited by normsutton on June 21st, 2007, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
9x18shooter

P-64 Range Report

Post by 9x18shooter »