FEG SMC 380 JUST STOPPED FIRING!!

Info, pictures, advice...
GMAN31

FEG SMC 380 JUST STOPPED FIRING!!

Post by GMAN31 »

It's my wife's gun and last week at the range it was working perfectly as it always has and it just stopped firing. Trigger will not release hammer with safety off nor will it draw hammer back far enough to cock and fire in double action mode. Nothing seems broken or jammed and I am reluctant to tear into this gun past the field strip in case it is something easy I am missing. Since I don't use it much I am not sure of all it's characteristics which would help me spot any abnormalities.

Sure could use some help getting it back on track. Any gurus out there have an idea?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: FEG SMC 380 JUST STOPPED FIRING!!

Post by Ketchman »

I see a gunsmith in your future.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
GMAN31

Post by GMAN31 »

If it makes any difference the right side of barrel says K.B.I. INC> Harrisburg PA SN
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

it does not, that is the importer. Take it to a smith.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I have the same gun. Take the slide off then the grips. On the right side you will see the trigger bar and cocking lever. It should look like the picture does. Look at how the hammer engages the sear. It should be in the groove of the sear/cocking lever. Your problem can also be a broken/slipped trigger spring. Best bet is to take to a smith. Numrich has a TS for a SMC-22 but it should fit the SMC-380. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufa ... -22?page=3

Image Image
Image Image
GMAN31

Post by GMAN31 »

Thanks OG, will see what it looks like, take a pic or two and report back. Appreciate the quick reply.
GMAN31

Post by GMAN31 »

OG,
Ok quick inspection shows the rear of my trigger bar does not ride up in its slot to engage high lobe of the sear to release hammer. When I hold it there I can (slowly release) hammer.

Is that end of the bar spring loaded? If not how does it ride up in the sear slot?

Also, can this gun be dry fired? Or does it act like this when there are no rounds in the chamber? I haven't used it much so I don't really know.

I have a degree in mechanical engineering and hold a professional licence so this kinda thing is not an issue for me.

GMAN
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Take a picture of yours so I can see what you have.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Does your trigger bar still have the hook on the rear end that engages the sear / cocking piece?
GMAN31

Post by GMAN31 »

Yes it does, will take a pic now that I figured out how to upload. I's down on workbench Give me a few minutes. Also discovered it can be dry fired. May very well be a worn TB, Sear or both.
GMAN31

Post by GMAN31 »

Ok after losing the site on my computer, I am back with pics of my TB and Sear. In one the bar is down and won't release hammer when trigger is pulled and in the other I have positioned it up in it's slot so it will catch sear high lobe and fire the gun. It just defaults to the low position and won't release hammer.
Attachments
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG
OG17

Post by OG17 »

In the first picture, is the hammer cocked? If not, the tab on the cocking lever/sear should be parallel to the frame and resting on the bottom spur of the hammer. You have to look inside the slot on the in front of the hammer pin. Also make sure that the front of the TB is fully inserted into the trigger.

OG17

Post by OG17 »

Another thing. Cock the hammer and look at the bottom of the TB and see if the trigger spring is attached on the bottom of it. It's the silver piece that you see in this picture. When you cock the hammer the TB rises

Image.
GMAN31

Post by GMAN31 »

Whoops that spring is not there. Must be as thin as the one on the slide lock. Can't be too hard to install one. Got a recommendation on where to obtain?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

numrich has them for the PA-63 which should be identical. $7.00. :D