May become my primary...

Info, pictures, advice...
J.D.

May become my primary...

Post by J.D. »

I do have to say, I was pretty wowed when I finally got my 64 out to the range. Easy to handle (with my homemade leather grip), very accurate... I mean, I kinda throw that first round with the DA pull, but not enough to not still be on the target. So I'm thinking about switching it to be my primary concealed carry. Currently, my primary EDC is a H&K P-7. It is still my favorite semi-auto handgun, but God forbid I ever have to use it... that's an expensive gun to be sitting in an evidence locker for who knows how long until the investigation is over and the courts decide to clear it to be returned to me. Being in law enforcement, I know that can be years even after a shooting is declared "good". A 64, meh, no big deal in comparison. The 64 is a little smaller and easier to conceal as well. The only issue for me is to get around to making a holster for it. I have I guess odd preferences in how I carry, so custom making holsters for myself is about the only way I can have one to meet my wants and needs.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: May become my primary...

Post by Curly1 »

I would be interested in seeing a pic of your holster when it is done
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

You will eventually get used to that DA. Good thinking too, that P-7 is too good to ever lose. Have you looked at the P-83? I think it would make a better EDC especially if you like condition two. I have a pre 72 P-64 with a round hammer, and I cant grip it for the life of me.
Foxtail

Post by Foxtail »

This is my holster for concealed carry of my P64.
Nothing fancy, but it works.
(Aha! Success! picture posted)
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

I'm no leather worker, but I do find the need sometimes to do it myself when it comes to getting what I want. This is the holster my P-7 is in, basically it is a rough out pocket holster with a belt loop to secure it and lift the grip up to a better position. I always wear some kind of bowling shirt or other untucked button up so it still conceals really well. It rides at just around 7:30 (lefty) and it puts the whole arrangement in a position just a bit to the rear of where I have my weapon on my duty belt, and where otherwise out of uniform, one might expect me to reach if I were getting my wallet, so for me the position is very natural and has good draw concealment. Next time I'm leaving the flashlight pocket off though. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but meh, I think I'd rather carry the light else wise and move the pistol just that much more forward.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Interesting design I like it.

Yes the Wanaad P83 os another good one
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Or maybe a CZ82?? Love mine to death. Does not disappear as well as the P64 but is much easier to shoot well, aaaand holds 14 rounds of 9x18. Nice design on the holster BTW, your own I presume?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

I've been looking to add a P-83 to the collection, and would consider it for EDC. I really have no complaints though as far as how the 64 shoots or feels. My hands are large-ish but not meaty so I find the grip to be just fine and have no issue with slide bite, and frankly I don't find the recoil to be particularly noteworthy. Certainly not worth the fuss it receives.

The holster has been an evolving work in progress, every few months I have been mocking up and stitching an updated design. This is just about finalized in shape, fit, retention, etc. Just definitely not doing the flashlight pocket on the next one, and will probably cut a thumbhole on the back side to make finding a good initial grip easier. And of course, next time I'll make two, one with a different cut profile to fit the 64.
Rakin

Post by Rakin »

Foxtail wrote: October 16th, 2017, 11:37 am This is my holster for concealed carry of my P64.
Nothing fancy, but it works.
(Aha! Success! picture posted)
nice stitch work
Foxtail

Post by Foxtail »

Thanks! I use 50 lb test braided polyester line, doubled. Never had the stitching fail!
Hlan1209

Post by Hlan1209 »

Woow this looks great
Onramp

Post by Onramp »

K Rounds in Tukwila Washington will mold a holster for your weapon from virgin kydex. If you want to place an order with them, I will take my gun over to them for the mold. Please let me know at pat.hillyer@comcast.net.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Been a while since I've been around... wanted to share what more than a year of daily concealed carry has done to my last homemade holster design and my leather grips. Both are holding up far better than expected and have plenty of mileage left in them. The leather grips are virtually unchanged, just a couple scuffs... no peeling or cracking or anything like that. The holster is showing wear, some staining from both my jeans and from the pistol, but holding up quite well and still functioning well. Very secure when in place in my pocket but still easy to draw.
Attachments
IMG_1515.JPG