What does your P-64 do?

Info, pictures, advice...
garrybuck

What does your P-64 do?

Post by garrybuck »

Right now it lives in the safe. I've been making all the recommended improvements, the latest being an increase in hammer-spring power from 16 to 18. It was spitting out magazines with the 16. As soon as I'm convinced that it's perfect, it will replace my Kel-Tec P3AT in my front pocket.
tunnelrat

What does your P-64 do?

Post by tunnelrat »

tunnelrat,
Hey! I beleive I recognize you, don't you go by another name in Ohio?
Hi, Cruiser,

I took your advice and looked at this website. Very nice! Plenty of information and lots of cranky posters. It's just like home... ;)

I especially appreciate the P-64 manual and that Stan is keeping after the guys at Wolff Gunsprings. It is nice to find a bunch that go out and get things done!

What does my P-64 do? It insinuates itself into my crooked heart until I carry it more often than nearly any other firearm...
amd6547

What does your P-64 do?

Post by amd6547 »

From one Buckeye to another, Hi, tunnelrat!.
As to pain from shooting, I always found it laughable when the makarov guys on gunboards would whine about the "horrendous" recoil of the P64. Try shooting some full bore 44mag loads through a thompson center contender using the old "sawback" wood grip---I did 50 rounds with one once, and my hand vibrated for 24 hours!
With the P64, I don't have a problem, except for one place--my little finger starts to hurt from the magazine extension whacking it. By the end of a box of 50, it gets noticable.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
xelloss

What does your P-64 do?

Post by xelloss »

I too find the thought of the P-64 being uncomfortable or painful somewhat amusing... Maybe that's just because I've put about 50 rounds through my .500 Linebaugh in one day, though... ;D ;D ;D

-Mark
tunnelrat

What does your P-64 do?

Post by tunnelrat »

You gentlemen make some wonderful points: shooting .44 Magnums and .500 Linebaughs isn't just fun; it is also punishment. But that is part of the price you pay for shooting big bore revolvers. I confess that when I'd take my Super Blackhawk out for a spin, I'd only shoot 18 to 24 rounds. That was plenty enough for me! :D

I can't speak for the Mak owners (though I've got one, too), but when I shoot a semi-automatic, defensive pistol, I don't expect the same sort of punishment as when I set off a full house magnum. I agree that the recoil of the P-64 doesn't amount to much, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to have the same ergonomics as the PPK or the Bersa or the Makarov. That is to say: it seems to jump around and bang my fingers -- not my palm and wrist like the big magnums, but my itty bitty fingers! My pinky bangs against the finger extension. My off hand bangs against the trigger guard. And yesterday the darned thing took a chunk off the web of my hand!

As much as I enjoy this little gun, it is not one that I would offer to my daughters to shoot. They like my Hi-Powers and 1911's, but I think the P-64 is much less comfortable than what they are used to. Heck, it's less comfortable than what I am used to.

A big part of what I hope to learn here is how to make it shoot a little more easily and pleasantly. I've ordered a new recoil spring for mine, and I'm working on replacing the mainspring, too. It would be nice to find some more hand-filling grips, too.
xelloss

What does your P-64 do?

Post by xelloss »

Tunnelrat, how are you holding your P-64??? It suprises me that it "bit" you, as I have darn big hands (I'm 6'4"), and it's never bit me... Was it the slide or the hammer???

I've been "bit" by standard 1911 and hi-power hammers before, so I know the unpleasentness of it... ;) ;) ;)

-Mark
Last edited by xelloss on January 6th, 2006, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tunnelrat

What does your P-64 do?

Post by tunnelrat »

Tunnelrat, how are you holding your P-64?
I had an extra grip sleeve that I had taken off my Glock 27. With the sleeve on I must have been using a much higher grip than usual. I think it was the slide that got me.

I've never had a hammerbite from any of my Hi-Powers or my 1911's. I've had to wait for my P-64 in order to get initiated...
burnsie

What does your P-64 do?

Post by burnsie »

I just bought my 1973 recently at AIM a few weeks ago. With most gun purchases, excitement with my purchase is at a maximum right after I buy it, especially during the first day I own it and get to fool with it, and the first time I shoot it. Not with the P-64! This is the ONE handgun I've bought that has grown on me gradually since I bought it. I like it more today, than the day I picked it up.

A week ago I bought a Vega IWB holster at a gun show. I was walking around looking for a holster, since nothing I saw on the web drew my fancy, and I found this sweet little baby for $17. The label indicated it was made to fit "Walther PPK / Makarov". I figured it might fit perfectly, and I was right! The holster is suede, a "summer special" type. The clip is plastic, but has a hook on it that keeps it on the belt with no trouble. At first I was worried about the plastic clip - but not anymore.

Anyway, I have carried the P-64 every day this week. I'm sure it will stay in the regular rotation with my GLOCK 19 and my Taurus ultra-light 85 snub, and it will spend some time in the glove box of my Jeep.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

What does your P-64 do?

Post by himmel »

Hey Tunnelrat--glad to find someone else who does the "just stick it inside the waistband" thing! LOL! I have an admission to make--I don't own a P-64, I joined here to find out more about them--I have a Mak--East German--and I love it, but it is now in the family vehicle where the wife can use it when she goes out. I am presently carrying one of those Yugo Crvena Zastavas, it "carries" slightly better than the Mak, but I am not entirely satisfied with the 7.65mm caliber--I think it will do the job it is made for, but those little rims can hang in the magazine if you aren't very careful about loading it. So I am thinking about replacing it with a P-64 if i get the chance--and your post tells me I am not out in left field for thinking that way! Thanks....
tunnelrat

What does your P-64 do?

Post by tunnelrat »

Hey Tunnelrat--glad to find someone else who does the "just stick it inside the waistband" thing!
I'm not usually a fan of Mexican Carry. Most handguns don't do well without a holster, but the P-64 seems made for it. I'm surprised they don't make them in Mexico...

I have an admission to make--I don't own a P-64, I joined here to find out more about them.
I would sincerely advise you not to buy one... rather you should buy two!
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

What does your P-64 do?

Post by himmel »

I have to say--The first time I saw the "Mexican carry" in action, it was on an off-duty police officer--He had this big ol' 1911 stuck in his jeans, butt-forward on his left hip, and I thought--That has to be killing him! ( those jeans were tight, and he was sitting down...) But both my Mak and my Zastava seem to fit right there--on my left, not on my right--and the grip extends over my belt just so, it won't slide down into my pants-stays pretty secure. As for buying two CZAKs--I can only say I wish!! LOL! I just hope I can find one in the same shop where i found my Mak and my Zastava...the guy seems to realize the quality of the east Euro guns, but he still prices them low...
kempin

What does your P-64 do?

Post by kempin »

Hey tunnelrat,

I, too, had a hard time with the p-64 tearing me up. You said you wouldn't give it to your daughter, but would you believe that when my wife tried it, she found it very comfortable? She shot two full boxes of heavy loads without any comment. Must be something about the size of her hands.

Btw, I loaded down some ammo for target shooting and it virtually eliminated the problem. Very comfortable to shoot, although I still have to be careful the web of my hand doesn't get too high. It still gets me now and then, but only when I have sloppy form.
rinao272

What does your P-64 do?

Post by rinao272 »

I got the P-64 to replace my PT-22 in the pocket carry.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

What does your P-64 do?

Post by himmel »

Well, I don't believe what happened--Just went to the gun shop where i picked up my Zastava, there were two more there--still $135--and, yep, one P-64 at $159--If I can just scare up the down, I may have it put aside for me...
fjblackesq

What does your P-64 do?

Post by fjblackesq »

One is in the safe, aqnd the other is IWB !!!!