General Cleaning of P64

Info, pictures, advice...
BaconsRebellion

General Cleaning of P64

Post by BaconsRebellion »

Hey everyone Im new to tge forums here and just bought a P64 about a month ago. I love firing the gun and find to be really satisfying. Overall Im new to firearms and the obly gun I owned prior to this is a 22 Revolver. Thats been pretty simple to clean but I just have a few questions on how to clean a P64.

Ive read a few posts on here about soaking it in paint thinner or something similar for 24 hours or so then giving it a good wipe down with a toothbrush and an air duster. That seems good for an overall thorough clean but I want to know how one would go about giving the gun a quick cleaning.

What kind of oil or solvent do I use and what should be greased down and such?

Thanks for the help and any advice.

Also here's a pic of my P64. Image

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Rakin

Re: General Cleaning of P64

Post by Rakin »

I would not advise soaking in pain thinner or any solution for 24 hours. Really soaking at all. If you are wanting to clean and decrease, there are specific products that can do this or you could use a non-chlorinated brake fluid. I personally cannot see the need to do so unless you are trying refinish or have something you are doing that needs the surface to be decreased. Those years of grease are protection from rust so once you remove all the protection, you immediately need to reapply protection (oil). Also keep in mind, you might be removing some finish that you don't want to remove. Think about how old that gun is.

So if you do decide to do a deeper clean, be sure to remove hand guards, using patches and q-Tips and wipe all the surfaces down with something you feel safe with. Hopes should be fine. I don't want to remove my extractor and might use like Gun Scrubber on it and my firing pin channel to get out the gunk I can't get to with Q-Tips. Keep in mind, you have to then add a protective oil to that area afterwards. Thin wipe is all that is needed though I confess to leaving storing a little wet due to the humid climate I live in. Don't think it is needed, but I sleep better with them a minimal visible sheen and in a silicon Bore Store.
BaconsRebellion

Post by BaconsRebellion »

Rakin wrote: August 31st, 2017, 12:26 pm I would not advise soaking in pain thinner or any solution for 24 hours. Really soaking at all. If you are wanting to clean and decrease, there are specific products that can do this or you could use a non-chlorinated brake fluid. I personally cannot see the need to do so unless you are trying refinish or have something you are doing that needs the surface to be decreased. Those years of grease are protection from rust so once you remove all the protection, you immediately need to reapply protection (oil). Also keep in mind, you might be removing some finish that you don't want to remove. Think about how old that gun is.

So if you do decide to do a deeper clean, be sure to remove hand guards, using patches and q-Tips and wipe all the surfaces down with something you feel safe with. Hopes should be fine. I don't want to remove my extractor and might use like Gun Scrubber on it and my firing pin channel to get out the gunk I can't get to with Q-Tips. Keep in mind, you have to then add a protective oil to that area afterwards. Thin wipe is all that is needed though I confess to leaving storing a little wet due to the humid climate I live in. Don't think it is needed, but I sleep better with them a minimal visible sheen and in a silicon Bore Store.
I had read about the soaking on an older post here but seemed like too much work.

So basically just Hoppes down the barrel and places where gunk builds up and a thin coating of protection as well then? Sounds easy enough. I probably wont do a deep clean for a little bit. Maybe when ot really needs it. Just wanted to see how to go about a quick clean. Thanks.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

If it's covered in cosmoline you are going need to do a detail strip and get that junk out. I used Mineral Spirits on my Bulgarian Makarov but my P64 wasn't covered in it. I gather that you have other guns as well. I use the same products on the P64 that I use on my other guns. Gun Scrubber is a good option as well.
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

Rakin wrote: August 31st, 2017, 12:26 pm I would not advise soaking in pain thinner or any solution for 24 hours. Really soaking at all. If you are wanting to clean and decrease, there are specific products that can do this or you could use a non-chlorinated brake fluid. I personally cannot see the need to do so unless you are trying refinish or have something you are doing that needs the surface to be decreased. Those years of grease are protection from rust so once you remove all the protection, you immediately need to reapply protection (oil). Also keep in mind, you might be removing some finish that you don't want to remove. Think about how old that gun is.

Saw you're in Houston. Hope you and yours are safe and dry.

I've use Hoppes #9 and a rag to clean, and WD40 to protect on all my guns. And a dab of gun grease on sliding parts. It works like a charm.
Rakin

Post by Rakin »

High and dry on West side. River flooding 1/2 to south of me, reservoir to north of me flooding neigborhoods. Had some what of a pucker moment Sunday evening but luckily the rain band we had been in for four plus hours moved off. Dropped to moderate rain from the inches per hour rain. Lot of good people having rough time
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Stay safe Rakin
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary