Mainspring/hammer question

Info, pictures, advice...
Inusuit

Mainspring/hammer question

Post by Inusuit »

Hello! New to this forum but not to milsurp handguns. I have three Makarovs, a CZ70, CZ 52, PA83, etc.

I recently purchased a pristine P64. As per recommendations, I changed out the hammer spring for a 17 lb. Wolff.

The DA trigger pull did not change much if any, certainly not the major improvement that others have reported. And after reassembly, there seems to be no tension on the hammer. It will move back and forth about 3/8" from the down position with with thumb pressure. Did I screw up putting it back together or is this normal? I'm reluctant to take it apart again as the small nut on the grips is a hassle to secure while turning the grip screw.

Also, will dry fire eventually smooth out the DA pull and is this OK to do with the P64? I can't find 9x18 snap caps. I've heard that the CZ70 is susceptible to breaking the firing pin if dry fired. Is this a problem with the P64?

Thank you for your patience with this P64 newbie.
OG17

Re: Mainspring/hammer question

Post by OG17 »

Sounds like you inserted the hammer strut spur where it mates with the hammer incorrectly. This is going to necessitate that you disassemble it again. It has to be right or the hammer/hammer spring will not function as it should. I don't know for sure if the FP will break it right away but it may. So it's not recommended that you dry fire P64. Amazon sells spring loaded and/or regular snap caps for 9x18 guns.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

OG17 wrote: July 5th, 2017, 1:52 pm Sounds like you inserted the hammer strut spur where it mates with the hammer incorrectly. This is going to necessitate that you disassemble it again. It has to be right or the hammer/hammer spring will not function as it should. I don't know for sure if the FP will break it right away but it may. So it's not recommended that you dry fire P64. Amazon sells spring loaded and/or regular snap caps for 9x18 guns.
I agree with OG17's assessment of the problem. As I read the OP a mis-fitted strut came to mind. Either 'off' or maybe backward? Since I'm here I'll mention (if case you haven't read it) that the 17# hammer spring sometimes causes mag drops. :shock: I had 17# springs installed and had no problems but I went and changed them to 18# just to head off any future potential for problems. Also, the single action trigger weight gets real light!!! Be very careful because a second pull expecting that 17-18 # pull can be quite a dangerous surprise.
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Man rob, you hit it right on the nose. That SA is too light for me to consider the P64 for CCW. Even with the stock springs it is still to light. I don't know if mine went thru some sort of trigger modification. For example the SMC-918 , which is essentially the same thing, has a much safer SA and it's the one I pocket carry as a BUG.