Help my P-64 is failing to feed.

Info, pictures, advice...
mmafan

Post by mmafan »

I took my recently SOG purchased and degreased P-64 to the range today and it failed to feed approximately 1 out of every 3 rounds or two rounds per mag.

I was using S&B FMJ, it also failed to feed wolf 100gr "conehead" bullets, but I expected the wolf to give it problems though.

The pistol was fully soaked in diseal fuel and cleaned afterwards. I have cleaned it twice.

The the rounds seem to be getting stuck on the feed ramp about half way in the chamber, it does this both when shooting and when releasing the slide to charge a round in the chamber. I was not "riding" the slide forward, but pulling it back and releasing

To clear the pistol I would have to take off the slide and remove the magazine. Simply removing the magazine with the slide on was not sufficient to clear the chamber.

Occasionally I could push the slide forward to chamber the round.

Any suggestions?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

Did you remember to put the recoil spring back on with the small end on the barrel first?
Is your recoil spring weak? Hard to know without another for comparison.
Is your magazine spring weak? Again, same as above.
Does your magazine follower move up and down freely?
Do your magazine's feed lips look normal?
Is the feed ramp rough?
The breach face should have two small projections at the bottom. Are they present?
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Good memory Norm! That's the link.

A lot of semi-auto pistols need breakin periods. Doesn't Glock say 200 or 300 rounds before their pistols are broken in? I've seen that somewhere; has anyone purchased a new Glock lately? I've had Makarovs that wouldn't initially feed S&B FMJ, until I forced a couple of hundred rounds through them.

Or try the feed ramp smoothing described in Norm's link.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

NB
All I did was do a search
the only one I had to polish was the one P-64 that I had hard chromed and did that before I sent it out just because I didn't want to have to polish after
I have never had any problems with feeding in any of the 4 P-64's that I have yet,
ammo I use is MFS+P (witch we both know they are not +P ) or my reload's
come to think of it I don't think I 'v had a jam in any of my 9 x 18 pistol's using this ammo or mine

9 x 18's I have are
2 BR-61's
2 PA-63's
2 CZ-82's
4 P-64's
! MAK
just lucky I guess

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on June 3rd, 2007, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

I think Norm has something there. Lots of expertise from Norm.

How many mags do you have? Same thing happen with them all? Are you using stock mags from SOG? Sounds like you cleaned the pistol, but did you disassemble and clean the mag(s)? Mine had a lot of cosmoline in them.

I think the slide going forward with a nudge is a telling sign. I would have to agree with the above. You can get a slide spring from Wolff for pretty cheap, even with shipping.

How does the safety move? Have you used it? Does it ever drop when firing the Wolf or S&B?

Stick with the S&B or maybe silver bear if you can get some cheap. Wolf never worked in my P64 very well at all. I don't really like the Wolf military either. I had problems in multiple pistols with it when I usually have no issues.

Is the condition of the pistol near new? I think the problem is more serious, but as part of getting your new pistol ready, you may want to polish the feed ramp with techniques mentioned here on the board such as a felt tip/dremel. My goal is always to polish off the black rather than trying to gouge or reshape the ramp.

How is your grip? Do you keep your hands clear of the slide? I have heard folks having safety and slide issues due to how they are gripping. Usually it ends up drawing blood if you are getting the web of your hand up there too high!

I think everyone has pointed out probable problem areas above.
Last edited by steve98664 on June 3rd, 2007, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmafan

Post by mmafan »

I think Norm has something there. Lots of expertise from Norm.

How many mags do you have? Same thing happen with them all? Are you using stock mags from SOG? Sounds like you cleaned the pistol, but did you disassemble and clean the mag(s)? Mine had a lot of cosmoline in them.

I think the slide going forward with a nudge is a telling sign. I would have to agree with the above. You can get a slide spring from Wolff for pretty cheap, even with shipping.

How does the safety move? Have you used it? Does it ever drop when firing the Wolf or S&B?

Stick with the S&B or maybe silver bear if you can get some cheap. Wolf never worked in my P64 very well at all.

Is the condition of the pistol near new? I think the problem is more serious, but as part of getting your new pistol ready, you may want to polish the feed ramp with techniques mentioned here on the board such as a felt tip/dremel. My goal is always to polish off the black rather than trying to gouge or reshape the ramp.
1 mag and I cleaned it to with the pistol.

Gun only came with one stock magazine from SOG.

Safety is fine, no problems.

The pistol look unfired when I got it
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

I have rarely heard about P64 mags having problems. IF you are gonna use it very much at all, you may want spare mags. SOG won't often mention the accessories they have, but I believe they still have mags for 10. Due to the low capacity you may want to pick up one or more just to have them, but also to test out problems like this. You don't need your FFL to get them.

I think Wolff gunsprings has the 20# recoil spring in stock and the 18# hammer spring is nice to have too, though I may get the 17# since I'd like it a bit lighter. You have to replace the firing pin spring when you put in the recoil so it is a bit of a pain, but worth it.

SOunds like you did a good job cleaning it up, though I have not tried the diesel thing.

Polish the ramp, get a mag or 2, get the recoil spring, and try things again with S&B or silver bear. I have used silver bear HP and FMJ just fine on my P64. I don't like Wolf, even the new military classic stuff in the cammo box.
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

mmafan, reading your back posts I notice that you also have a Makarov. If you load both your Mak's mag and your P-64's fully with the same brand and type of ammo, can you see any obvious differences in how the top cartridge rests in each mag? Also, when you retract the slide on each, does there seem to be a real difference as to which one cycles more smoothly? You could disassemble your mag and see if the follower moves freely and whether the spring looks damaged. You could also check to see if your recoil spring is kinked and whether the slide moves freely when the pistol is assembled without the recoil spring. It's unlikely, but there could be a nick or crack in your magazine's feed lips that is causing a cartridge to hang up.
duggi60
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by duggi60 »

You did not mention relubing your P 64 after two cleaning, I
like how Breakfree gun oil works on my firearms after a good
cleaning -- or choose your own firearm lube & use it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

mmafan

Hope you know these are only suggestion without actually holding the gun in my hands its very hard to determine what's wrong with your gun, I'll be home most of the day today if you would like to talk about over the phone PM or email me your phone # or I'll PM you my phone #

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
brigade

Post by brigade »

Check your extractor lip (edge). Check to see if it is holding/guiding the round straight forward. If it is not being held flat against the face of the "bolt face" where the case rests as it enters the chamber. If it is not holding it straight then it can try to feed at an angle to the left or right. I would take your extractor off and spring out and clean both the recessed hole and spring and check for hard carbon build up around the extrator lip. My makarov extractor claw had to be scraped off with a file in order to get the carbon off of it in order to grab the case edge properly. Worth checking into...
mmafan

Post by mmafan »

SOG said they would replace it, but will only ship to an FFL, so I would have to repay the transfer fee $20 and wait another 3 days.

Thinking about returning it completely for a refund, I think my bulgarian makarov has spoiled me as it was my first pistol and is 100% reliable from day one and feeds anything.

I did note that the p-64 is more accurate and concealable then the makarov, and the recoil isnt really that bad.

I am a little unsure about polishing the feed ramp myself, never done it before and I have a busy schedule and few tools it might be better to have a gunsmith do it, but I would hate to spend the money and then find out that gun still does not feed properly.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by mmafan on June 4th, 2007, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
brigade

Post by brigade »

Yes to suggestions..... Did you see the post I wrote just above your post? I think it is worth trying since I have deffinately seen that. If you are not wanting to do anything mechanical then obviously you have to return it if you can otherwise sell it to me cheap and I will take care of it.
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

For what is worth the vast majority of people who get a P-64 do not experience malfunctions. Problems are often the result of tampering by a previous owner. You got yours at SOG so that's not the case with yours. You probably got unlucky and received a fluke defective gun. Chances are good if you get another one it would be fine. I've read on other forums about guns defective right out of the box, Taurus, Keltec, Para, you name it , it can happen.