Is concealed carry safe with one in chamber and safety on shoot?

Info, pictures, advice...
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Is concealed carry safe with one in chamber and safety on shoot?

Post by Curly1 »

jb1911 wrote: September 7th, 2017, 10:09 am The double action trigger pull on the P64 is so atrocious that you could carry in your pocket, safety off, with a round in the chamber and never worry about it. No way in hell you're going to pull the trigger accidentally.
It sure can go off in your pocket.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4378
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
TylerSAlbright

Post by TylerSAlbright »

Am I wrong in thinking you put a loaded mag in and then rack one in the chamber. Pull the trigger while carefully lowering the hammer with you thumb. Can you not then safely carry the weapon since it is de-cocked? When the need arises you can draw the weapon, quickly pull back the hammer and fire with the single action tension? I went with the 22# recoil spring and 18# hammer spring and as we all know the double action is still terrible and causes a jerk when shooting. I avoid the safety/decocker completely. Problem solved. Why would the gun go off if the hammer is lowered...it would take a freight train to pull that double action back on this gun.
TylerSAlbright

Post by TylerSAlbright »

Safety off and round chambered. How would the gun fire if the hammer was lowered? Only way I see is to pull the double action trigger while it is concealed. Pretty much impossible. Am I missing something?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Firstly, use the decocker, when it is used it raises a solid piece of steel into the path of the hammer keeping it from having ANY possibility of making contact with the firing pin. Pulling the trigger while holding the hammer and lowering it that way does not place that piece of steel in the hammers path. If your fingers slip and the hammer falls under tension you have just created an AD. Once you have decocked the weapon you may take it back off safe if you wish to carry with the hammer down and one in the chamber and safety off. That is how I lower the hammer from ready to lowered. I STRONGLY urge you to not continue to lower the hammer manually, use the decocker.
Secondly, when the hammer is down it is very close to, but not in direct contact with, the firing pin. A very hard sharp blow on the hammer can make the hammer skip off the sear and hit the firing pin causing an AD. Also, the hammer CAN and HAS snagged on clothing and gotten pulled back 1/2+ of it's travel and then fallen with enough force to cause an AD. Just because the trigger pull is long and difficult does NOT mean it is impossible to move that hammer without using the trigger. In fact, it would be my opinion that there are as many AD's where the trigger is never touched as there are when the gun is being improperly handled causing an AD.
In fact, this topic should help you understand:\
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4378&hilit=accidental#p42638
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

What Ketchman said...^^^
Foxtail

Post by Foxtail »

Ketchman, I never knew that about the de-cocker. Thanks for that info!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Glad to help. Hopefully it helps keep you safe.
It is the biggest thing that I like about this group of people, answers to stuff you did not know given by people that do. And given in a courteous manner.
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

It may be just my way of thinking, but I only carry for personal protection and I do not carry with a round chambered.

My thinking is that, hopefully I will not need to rapidly pull my firearm to confront a threat. Thinking that if I am in an area where a shooting is taking place, I would have time to pull the weapon and chamber a round. It would only take a couple of seconds.

My wife has asked me, what if we were in a place and a shooting was taking place, with other people also pulling out firearms, what would you do :?: I told her that my first instinct would to find protection / cover and not engage in the shoot out. BUT :!: After finding cover, if somebody were to approach us with a firearm drawn with threatening motions, yes I am going to shoot.

As I stated, this is my personal thought on the subject of carrying with one round chambered. I will seek cover first before I engage in a shooting.

But then again, one can not be prepared for all scenarios :roll:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And what would be your response to find the threat bearing down on you with a raised edged or blunt force weapon and 12 feet from you and you need to raise your off arm to block that blow? How do.you draw and chamber with only one hand in order to change your gun from a blunt force, ie striking weapon, to a discharge weapon as it is designed to be? If a weapon cannot be safely carried with a round in the chamber I will.not carry the weapon as it is more a hinderance than a help.
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

KETCHMAN .......... read my posting again and the following is what I stated :!:

As I stated, this is my personal thought on the subject of carrying with one round chambered. I will seek cover first before I engage in a shooting.

:arrow: But then again, one can not be prepared for all scenarios .

Finally, as I stated, it is my personal opinion :!:

And, you have yours.

:evilgrin:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

All I did was ask you what your response to the given sitaution would be given your carry mode. From my opinion.
Granpooba

Post by Granpooba »

Their could be a 1,000 different situations. Who is to really know which or what will be the correct response at the time of the incident ? Only way one would know for sure, is after it happens. And that could be the sad part or perhaps even the good part.

I do think for my situation, carrying without a round chambered is the right way to carry. But then again I think, what good is my firearm if it is not ready to fire ? I have this discussion with myself as to whether or not I should carry chambered , well almost daily. As I am sure many other folks out there in this screwed up world of ours, have the same thought's .

Is the glass half full or half empty ?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

to me the glass is always.............half empty.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Granpooba wrote: February 10th, 2018, 12:24 am KETCHMAN .......... read my posting again and the following is what I stated :!:

:arrow: But then again, one can not be prepared for all scenarios .

Finally, as I stated, it is my personal opinion :!:

And, you have yours.

:evilgrin:
Yes this is your opinion and you are absolutely entitled to it. No one can tell you how you should carry YOUR weapon. No, you can not be prepared for all scenarios. The more you discuss possible alternate scenarios the more you can anticipate your reaction though, therefore being more ready. It has been studied; The more realistic someone trains the more ready they will be to handle real life scenarios. To be realistic you must consider everything that could happen. That is all Ketchman was doing.

Another thing that is a huge factor is consistency. At the range do you practice drawing your weapon? Do you practice drawing it exactly the way you are describing? If not then how do you know this method of carry is really right for you? It's not worth scrutinizing thought over if you have not attempted to put it into action in order to see if it works.

No, "one can not be prepared for all scenarios" however there are proven ways to mitigate your risk. There is a reason why combat organizations have Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures (TTP) that evolve as new scenarios are learned and practiced/trained. There is also a very good reason you won't find carrying an unloaded weapon in their TTPs. If you are unwilling to consider alternatives, and accept lessons learned from others successes and failures, then your opinion is just that.

I totally agree with Ketchman on this one.

And it does not matter if "the glass is half full or half empty". If you are still thirsty drink it and fill it again, if you aren't then leave it. Sometimes it's better to take the action than scrutinizing in thought.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary