Is concealed carry safe with one in chamber and safety on shoot?

Info, pictures, advice...
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Is concealed carry safe with one in chamber and safety on shoot?

Post by Curly1 » September 7th, 2017, 1:36 pm

jb1911 wrote:
September 7th, 2017, 10:09 am
The double action trigger pull on the P64 is so atrocious that you could carry in your pocket, safety off, with a round in the chamber and never worry about it. No way in hell you're going to pull the trigger accidentally.
It sure can go off in your pocket.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4378
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary

TylerSAlbright

Post by TylerSAlbright » September 10th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Am I wrong in thinking you put a loaded mag in and then rack one in the chamber. Pull the trigger while carefully lowering the hammer with you thumb. Can you not then safely carry the weapon since it is de-cocked? When the need arises you can draw the weapon, quickly pull back the hammer and fire with the single action tension? I went with the 22# recoil spring and 18# hammer spring and as we all know the double action is still terrible and causes a jerk when shooting. I avoid the safety/decocker completely. Problem solved. Why would the gun go off if the hammer is lowered...it would take a freight train to pull that double action back on this gun.

TylerSAlbright

Post by TylerSAlbright » September 10th, 2017, 10:28 pm

Safety off and round chambered. How would the gun fire if the hammer was lowered? Only way I see is to pull the double action trigger while it is concealed. Pretty much impossible. Am I missing something?

Ketchman
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by Ketchman » September 11th, 2017, 1:00 am

Firstly, use the decocker, when it is used it raises a solid piece of steel into the path of the hammer keeping it from having ANY possibility of making contact with the firing pin. Pulling the trigger while holding the hammer and lowering it that way does not place that piece of steel in the hammers path. If your fingers slip and the hammer falls under tension you have just created an AD. Once you have decocked the weapon you may take it back off safe if you wish to carry with the hammer down and one in the chamber and safety off. That is how I lower the hammer from ready to lowered. I STRONGLY urge you to not continue to lower the hammer manually, use the decocker.
Secondly, when the hammer is down it is very close to, but not in direct contact with, the firing pin. A very hard sharp blow on the hammer can make the hammer skip off the sear and hit the firing pin causing an AD. Also, the hammer CAN and HAS snagged on clothing and gotten pulled back 1/2+ of it's travel and then fallen with enough force to cause an AD. Just because the trigger pull is long and difficult does NOT mean it is impossible to move that hammer without using the trigger. In fact, it would be my opinion that there are as many AD's where the trigger is never touched as there are when the gun is being improperly handled causing an AD.
In fact, this topic should help you understand:\
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4378&hilit=accidental#p42638
Inspiration: The momentary cessation of stupidity.

"As in all life, the odds are 6 to 5 against"--- Ketchman

"The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there."
Jeff Cooper

GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick » September 11th, 2017, 3:54 pm

What Ketchman said...^^^

Foxtail

Post by Foxtail » September 12th, 2017, 9:56 am

Ketchman, I never knew that about the de-cocker. Thanks for that info!

Ketchman
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by Ketchman » September 12th, 2017, 10:31 am

Glad to help. Hopefully it helps keep you safe.
It is the biggest thing that I like about this group of people, answers to stuff you did not know given by people that do. And given in a courteous manner.
Inspiration: The momentary cessation of stupidity.

"As in all life, the odds are 6 to 5 against"--- Ketchman

"The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there."
Jeff Cooper