Ouch

Info, pictures, advice...
rvenneman

Ouch

Post by rvenneman »

I tried out my $75 9x18 pistol this morning. This is what my hand looked liked after 24 rounds. Any ideas on how to reduce the effect of this ? It is the first time I shot the P64 and it shot well.
Snapseed.jpg
OG17

Re: Ouch

Post by OG17 »

Bit of slide bite, huh? I would wear gloves if you are going to do prolonged range work with it. Remember, these guns were not designed to be range guns but defensive guns. I get a bit of that from my FEG PA-63 but not from the P64's big brother, the P83, or my Bulgarian Makarov where the slides are a little higher than on the P64 or PA-63.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Or try a slightly lower grip.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I did 125 rounds on mine once and the web of my hand looked like that from recoil.

Try the rubber polishiron grips sold by a board member here. And you can always try a stiffer recoil spring from Wolf.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6031
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Drec

Post by Drec »

The Polish Iron grips will help a lot. If you change the grip, get his extended magazine release too.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I too highly recommend the Polish Iron grips, like night and day when shooting. Get em.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Yup. The Polish Iron Grips/extended mag release are the bomb.
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

I'll join the chorus. Polish Iron grips and a Wolff Spring calibration pack will cure what ails you.
rvenneman

Post by rvenneman »

I just ordered the grip and mag release.
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

When I first fired mine l had the same problem. Until I realized I was holding the grip to high. I found that if I tried to squeeze all my fingers on the grip it pushed my hand up high enough that the slide would bite every time. My solution was to grip lower with my pinky completely off the grip. I don't have gorilla paws but my hands are by no means small. I would imagine it could become quite the problem with someone with catchers mitt for hands . +1 on Polishiron grip's. A set of wolf hammer spring will also help with the da trigger pull and a new recoil spring will help with the recoil. But for some it will never be a pleasant all day long shooter. Personally I don't mind it at all. My typical range session consists of about 300 rounds through my 9 mm Ruger and Kel-Tec pf9 followed by about 400 rounds split between my p64 and my Makarov topped off with about 100 rounds through single action 22 revolver. Give or take a few rounds. Good thing I reload or I would've been broke a long time ago.
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation