How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Info, pictures, advice...
boreclear

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by boreclear »

Has anyone had any experience with these bullets in their P64? I carry this gun on occasion and want it loaded with the best defense load.

So far I have had no jams/misfires with. 50 Fed FMJ, 100 Silver Bear 94JHP, and about 200 LRN reloads.

I've heard the Silver Bear JHP's don't expand well.

If these Powr'balls look promising. I plan to do the Wolff spring upgrade. Thinking 20# recoil and 18# hammer.

Would that be good for this Power'full round? I've seen this 70gr powr'ball rated at 1150 to 1300 fps. at about 230 to 260 ft/lbs.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by normsutton »

boreclear

Are those reloads yours if they are not , I'd think I buy ammo for my gun too,but if they are I 'd carry what I reload , in fact that's what I carry in mine most of the time a 100 grn size to 363. dia. LRN bullet

its also your life so carry what you feel is the best not what any body tells you is the best

NB can tell you about Powr'balls I think he has tested them

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on June 14th, 2007, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by grayfox »

I carry powr'balls in all of my P-64s.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by devlinfaust »

I have found pow-r-ball to be the most destructive 9mm I've every tried and would like to run some in my P-64 in 9mm Mak. Where can you order 9mm Mak pow-r-ball?

Thanks,
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by abwehr »

Hello Guys,

I am still out of town and not being able to get the Forum except once a week is tough! But this thread is good.

I agree with "devlinfaust" 100%, the PowRball is one of the best rounds I have ever used. I use them in my 9mmP, .40S&W, and my P-64. This round is devestating. They are not the lowest price, but I recommend that you "bite the bullet" (pardon the pun), and buy a box to try out in your pistol. If they chamber OK, then buy more and practice; and then you will feel comfortable that the ammo will protect you if needed.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by nbender »

devlinfaust, you can buy PowRBall directly from the manufacturer:

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/index.php?cPath=25

I caution that it's only a 70-grain bullet, and is designed for very rapid instant expansion. I'm not taking sides on the penetration vs wound argument, but know that 9x18 PowRBall may have a problem penetrating to vitals.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by abwehr »

"nbender" is correct about penetration with PowRball. I forgot to mention that in my previous posting. The wound channel in Gel is impressive, but that is for soft tissue only.

I use it for safety in my house, and the destruction it does with soft tissue. My opinion is that it will stop someone coming at me.
steve98664

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by steve98664 »

Have you guys had good luck with ammotogo? I haven't bought from them yet.

http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog/index ... 431a56fb89
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by nbender »

Ammotogo is a great outfit, from my experience. I think I've purchased online ammo from just about every supplier out there! I need a ammo intervention ...
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by devlinfaust »

Nbender, thanks a lot. I ordered a couple of boxes and am looking forward to trying this stuff out in my P-64's.

Again, thanks....
boreclear

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by boreclear »

Thanks for all the responses.
Norm yes those reloads are mine. So far I only loaded cheap 93 grain Meister LRN bullets. They plink good with a light charge, they shoot a few inches higher than most. (can't figure that out?)

Since my carry guns are marginal power for self defense. .380 and 9x18. I was thinking of getting the Corbon DPX 80gr for the .380 and the Corbon Powr'ball 70 gr for the 9x18. I wish there was DPX for the 9x18 to compare.

yea, Ammo to go, thats where I've been looking to order also.
twodogs257

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by twodogs257 »

Ammotogo - I've used them multiple times. They're great and the ammo gets to you quick! Their Ammo Cans are great as well.

Tried some Wolf Military Classic FMJ last weekend and it did fine. Shot 5 clips worth with only 2 stovepiping. Haven't tried the Barnaul FMJ yet :(
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by devlinfaust »

nbender, et al.,

I tried out the 9mm Mak powrball over the weekend, and was extremely pleased. If you want to have some fun, load up a milk jug or laundry jug with water, screw the cap on very tightly and then get some good duct tape and tape the cap just to be sure. Then shoot with one well-placed Pow-r-Ball and watch the explosion. Don't get me wrong, I've used 9mm and 9mm Mak JHP's and got a lot of water, but it's NOTHING compared to what that Pow-r-ball does, and the 9mm Mak pow-r-ball is not far behind the 9mm pow-r-ball in terms of what it does to the jug.

I found, by the way, that the recoil was no worse, and maybe even a little less, with the 9mm Mak Pow-r-ball than with the Wolf stuff I was shooting at the time.

I also noted that the Pow-r-Ball has a Glaser trade name. That surprised me. I thought that Pow-r-Ball was made by Corbon. So did my shooting buddy. Any ideas about that?

Anyway, whoever makes it or is supposed to make it, it likes to feed, is accurate and very destructive. It's pricey, but it's what is going to go in my carry P-64.

As always, thanks for the information.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by nbender »

devlinfaust - sounds like great fun!

Cor-Bon is made by Glaser, although I'm not sure of the relationship between the names. The Pow'RBall is listed as Glaser but is widely referenced by shooters as Cor-Bon. It seems they list their speciality rounds, such as Glaser Safety Slugs and Pow'RBall under the Glaser name, but they're sold by the same company at the same web site:

http://www.dakotaammo.net/
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

How's P64 and PowR'ball?

Post by devlinfaust »

nbender,

Well, I learn something new everyday--at least when I plug into this excellent message board. No, I didn't know that Cor-bon and glaser had any relationship.

The jugs ARE great fun. The problem is that you get only one shot! Still, we did this with a bunch of variations; such as leaving the cap off comptely and seeing a huge jet of water shoot out of the top when the bullet impacts. We tried freezing the jugs for a while, which was interesting--some of the .32acp just went a few mm past the plastic. With the surplus rifle stuff (5.62-x54r and 7.5 Swiss) you got crushed ice--just as crushed as if it came from a machine.

You can fill up the jugs with water and then shoot it with the laser and it would get all glowy and red, like a lantern. It didn't 'save' them, however, from becoming sprinkling machines with the 10/22 enhanced with a 35 round mag!

Oh, don't get me started. The joys of Millsurp! The joys of informal plinking! It's a clean sport and safely done with just some basic common sense--I don't understand people who won't even try it!