P64 Range Report

Info, pictures, advice...
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P64 Range Report

Post by Ketchman »

Well you could try finding a stock mainspring and cutting coils off one at a time until you find a good balance between DA and SA. And the changing back to the lighter recpil spring fixing the FTE is wierd. I do not understand that at all, but it seems fixed so.......
The stock mainspring is reportedly around 26lbs so you would have some play there.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Guitar - Be careful when in SA mode. Male sure you are pointing downrange because it may be lighter than you think or used to. But then again, it may not be as light as mine.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Ketch - going to order a couple of them to play with. Even thinking of just going back to stock and see how that goes.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

stock was quite stiff but workable fore. As another member pointed out the adrenaline rush should he NEED to use the weapon should make the stiff double action a non issue. And maybe your stock spring already had coils cut. How was your SA with the stock spring?
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Ketch - Didn't shoot it with it because I went straight to the 18# spring. Going to change it to stock and see what happens. When I first got it the pull didn't seem to be that strenuous. So you may be right that some coils have been cut.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

If you can get a stock spring compare them.
GuitarmanNick

Post by GuitarmanNick »

Always careful with weapons OG. You are right about it being lighter, but it is quite nice @ about 3.5 lb. trigger pull in SA.

My .38 is 3.0 lb, so I am used to a light trigger.
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

I haven't had a jam since I went to loading five rounds in the magazine. YMMV.
jb1911

Post by jb1911 »

Does anyone know how many pounds the original recoil spring is?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Factory standard is 18 lbs.
J.D.

Post by J.D. »

Today was my first real range day with the 64. WOW. I'm loving this pistol. I had changed out my springs when first buying it, but I don't remember offhand to what. I think I went with 20# all around. DA pull... meh, I throw the round a bit, followups on SA are in a tight group right where I'm pointing. The sights are great... if you can find them. Seriously, they are well made and dead-on despite their size, but are just not intuitive to easily find for my eyes. No big deal as the pistol is a good "pointer" for me, so the sights are rather irrelevant. No complaints on recoil. Bearing in mind I did the leather wrap on my grips, I fired in excess of 50 rounds to no ill effect on my hand or spirit. It was cool that one of the guys and buddy of mine who runs the range- a total tactical/operator type with real credentials in doing it for whatever that's worth... and also kinda a gun snob- was actually really impressed with it as well, only complaining of suffering some slide bite... but he's also the type with a grip style and oversized meat hooks there really isn't any gun that does not slide bite him.
Anyway... zero mechanical issues, fantastic 15 yard groupings on SA and acceptable DA performance even without really using sights, no complaints on trigger or recoil. Perfect for its intended purpose as my heavy coat season pocket gun.