What did you carry today?

Info, pictures, advice...
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

What did you carry today?

Post by Ketchman »

Ok all, it is deep winter here in Wyoming, just got a fresh 6"+ of the white stuff yesterday. Since it is winter people here wear more clothing to stay comfy, sometimes a LOT more clothing and a lot of it is Carhart style which is pretty tough. This makes a difference in my carry rotation. I dont like to use ball ammo for carry so that means I don't often carry my P-64 in winter because of penertration concerns. Today I carried my Star BM in 9mm. My Star Starfires in both 9mm and .45 as well as my Star PD .45 also get into the rotation this time of year. Sometimes I will pack my Daewoo DP-51 or my Taurus PT-111 G-2, both in 9mm. Come summertime and lighter clothes then the rotation changes and the P-64 gets back into regular use as well as some others.
So, my question is, what is your current carry given the environment where you live? :hi:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
OG17

Re: What did you carry today?

Post by OG17 »

Well, today I got a whole bunch of sun and balmy 80* weather and more of the same is coming tomorrow. Since I work in a public school and ccw is a no-no, I carried my wallet and keys. :mrgreen: Tomorrow I'll be in a Hawaiian shirt, cargo shorts, and flip-flops. So I can pick and choose between a wide variety of toys. :evilgrin:

Where are you in Wyoming? A few years back we went to Yellowstone then to a dude ranch outside Dubois. Nice country.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

40 miles south of Gillette, little.town called Wright. Dubois and Yellowstone are in the west half of the state, I am on the east side.of the mountains.
And what toy, or toys, will you carry I wonder.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And yes it is beautiful country. Looove the wide open see all the way to tomorrow vista's.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I have been carrying lately my Ultrastar 9mm in cold weather and the FEG SMC-918 when warmer.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Nice Curly. I bet most members don't even know what an Ultrastar is. Was a great gun.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Ah Curly, just had to mention the SMC-918 didn't ya. Every time I see it I kick myself in the A$$ for not getting it when I could.
Your Ultrastar is the Model 205? Saw one today on Glock Talk forum. How good is it?

Ketch, found you. Thunder Basin Grassland. You close to Hank's BBQ or Don's Supermarket? We flew into Salt Lake city then took I-15 then over across the mountains into Jackson. Even went to a bull-riding rodeo in Jackson. We stayed at the Togwotee Mountain Lodge and drove around for a bit before we went to the Lazy L & B Ranch for a week. From the east its before Dubois. E. Fork Road from US 26/287.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Ketch the Ultrastar is still a great gun.

If I had to keep just one 9mm that would be it.

It ran 4 different brands of ammo including HP for a total of 125 rounds the first time I went to the range with it with not one problem

I also like the fact you can carry it cocked and locked or hammer down. The safety doubles as a decocker also.

Metal ribbed reinforced plastic frame. I'm not a fan of plastic guns but I think this was the finest weapon Star put out in it's final days.

I also have the Starb, BM, and Firestar in 9mm, great guns also but the Ultrastar eclipses them IMO.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Nice selection of Star 9mm's Curly. Apparently you also got bit by the Star bug. Cannot figure out why someone else has not picked up the BM and kept making it after Star went under. Such a great pistol. I have nevet had the pleasure to fondle an Ultrastar but want to. Mags a bit hard to find?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

OG I am about 1/2 mile from both Hanks and Don's. Town is only a mile accross. Not even a stop light. Buch of stop signs though. Love it too.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Wish I could be there or some place like that. Love the mountains and the open country. :D But the wife loves the big town thing. :(

I looked on GB for the Ultrastar, but they only had one for sale. Need to check the gun shows and be patient.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Good luck on the Ultrastar. They do not come.up very often. And remember that parts and things like mags are next to impossible to find. But when you find one of the Stars in good shape it is quite cool.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

The 9mm mags come up often on GB and ebay.

Mine came with one and I won 2 for $64 delivered and they both worked perfect.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Nice snag curly. Great price on out of manufacture mags.
Perry

Post by Perry »

I don't carry, I just keep a S&W 5906 in a case in the vehicle. If I did feel the need to CC, the P-64 would have to be my choice. If I open carried, I would probably go with a Ruger Security Six, the 5906 is on the heavy side.

My ggf's brother was heading for the gold fields in 1849 and got as far as Goshen Co, WY when the cholera got him on June 11th. He is buried along the trail but the grave site is now lost as most all are. It is on the South side of the Platt somewhere south of Lingle, he came from MO. I will visit the area one day.