Another da trigger question

Info, pictures, advice...
Poppy42

Another da trigger question

Post by Poppy42 »

Hi folks I need couple questions answered here if Some of you experts could . I replaced the factory hammer spring on my 1975 p64 with 18 wolfspring. The recoil really didn't bother me much but I've decided I'm going to go ahead and get a new recoil spring and replace that too . My question is should I go with the 20 or should I go ahead and get a 22 pound recoil a couple of pros and con would be appreciated . Also I see that wolf Springs makes a 17 pound hammer spring is there that much difference between a 17 pound any 18 and if I go ahead and now get the 17 pound is it going to make the single action even lighter? The double action with the 18 pound hammer spring is bearable it does seem to hang up slightly if you hesitate or stage the trigger pull and I was just wonder If the 17 pound would help that at all appreciate any info I can get as more of you are much more knowledgeable about this weapon and I am. Thanks for your input
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation
Perry

Re: Another da trigger question

Post by Perry »

I don't know about the hammer spring, I put a Wolf 18 lb. in mine because there are some that say the 17 lb. causes the magazine to release sometimes. I had a Wolf 20 lb. recoil spring in mine for a little while then replaced it with a Wolf 22 lb. spring. I did not notice any difference when shooting it. I will stay with the 22 lb. spring to take away more of the recoil battering that the little pistol has to absorb. Great little guns!!!
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

I went with the Wolff Recoil Calibration Pak for the P64 - contains 1 each of 18, 20 and 22 Lb recoil springs listed above. This pack allows you to adjust the recoil function to your liking. I finally settled on a 20# recoil spring.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I have the 17# hammer spring in mine and have had no problems with dropping mags but I know others have, Curly is one I believe. I have the 20# recoil spring and am happy with it although I would put the 22# on if it would fit without grinding the spring flat on one end, too lazy I guess. :roll: I recommend the calibration pack as it gives you the options instead of only one choice. And the sa trigger is lighter with the 17# in than stock but not hugely so imho.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
OG17

Post by OG17 »

I went with the 18# hammer spring and 22# recoil spring from Wolff. Seems to be the recommended set up on YT (sootch00 and Mrgunsgear)
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

I used the Wolff mods for a while. The problem is for every double action there is anything equal and opposite single action.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

I believe the weapon is designed to be drawn in two steps. Disengage safety while drawing from holster and once drawn and raising the weapon hold with both hands cock the hammer back with finger off the trigger. It is actually pretty safe in the original configuration and only takes a little practice to realize it is a cool carry weapon.

OG17

Post by OG17 »

culpeper - I am going to agree with you. Today I shot the P64 for the 1st time with the Wolff set up as I indicated. The DA was good but holy crap, the SA was a hair trigger, maybe no more than 2 lbs. I couldn't control the shot placement because of it. Next time out, I'm going to try the stock hammer spring and keep the 22# recoil spring because it did tame the recoil along with the Polishiron grips.
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

That is exactly what I ended up doing.

OG17

Post by OG17 »

Ketchman suggested I try the 20#, which I installed. I'm going to see how it works before I go back to the stock.
culpeper

Post by culpeper »

I have a the #20 as well. I misspoke.