P64 drop safe

Info, pictures, advice...
Poppy42

P64 drop safe

Post by Poppy42 »

I have a question that I hope someone with more knowledge than me can answer. First off let me say that I don't believe any weapon is truly drops safe. It's a mechanical Device and mechanical devices can malfunction. That being said I just read a post on another forum about a cz82 ( A weapon that is supposedly drop safe) that was dropped and drop fired. So I got to thinking is the p64 considered drop safe ? I am knowgunsmith and I have know intention of disassembling my p64 to see how every thing actually works
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: P64 drop safe

Post by Weasel640 »

I would operate under the assumption that NO loaded weapon is "drop safe".

However when the Safety is on it holds the Firing Pin from moving. So if you use the Safety as a Safety then yes, it could be considered drop safe.

Likewise, a lot of people solely use the Safety as a Decocker. If the P-64 is Decocked and Safety in the Fire position, the Firing Pin is only being held by the Firing Pin Spring, and can move if hit somehow. The Hammer can move also if dropped directly on a resting decocked Hammer. Additionally there is not a reliable half cock safety. There had been a case where someone caught his shirt or jacket on the Hammer, it was pulled back, when the clothing let go, it fell and fired.

Either way I always would suggest to err on the side of caution.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Poppy42

Post by Poppy42 »

Weasel i as said in my op I totally agree that no loaded weapon is totally drop safe. The information on the safety/decocker and the fireing pin is just the information I was looking for. Use sir are a plethora of valuable knowledge and wisdom in regards to the p64. You always seem willing to share that knowledge with those of us that may less knowledgeable. For that I thank you
Ray
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

Do a search, IIRC there have been at least two reports on this forum of a P-64 AD when dropped. Parts wear was likely to blame.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

As Weasel said, if the safety is on then the weapon should be as drop safe as they come as the safety barrel keeps the firing pin from moving forward period, but if the safety is off then the weapon is as non-drop safe as they come. Remember, it was designed for the military and police, think "trained", in the late 50's / early 60's in a Comm Bloc country, drop safe was not only a non issue it was probobly not even considered as they never intended that the gun would be used by "untrained" civilians. Treat the gun with that thought in mind of how it should be handled, ie: NOT drop safe, and you will be fine.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Safeties/decockers are there for a reason, use them.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary