What magazine did I buy?

Info, pictures, advice...
Drec

What magazine did I buy?

Post by Drec »

I have a P64 and have been looking for a couple of magazines. I was able to find one a couple of weeks ago at a gun show; which was all I could find there. So I've been looking on Ebay; which has some pricey ones shown on there. What I did buy and did receive today was a magazine, that was noted in the ad as a 7 round .380 magazine. The 7 rounds didn't scare me, as I thought that it was a typo. Then I thought that the .380 and 9x18 magazines would be the same. This is probably where I went wrong.

The magazine snaps into the P64 fine, except that it sticks out further on the bottom; which makes releasing it from the gun harder. It looks like the magazine could be modified to fit, as most of the features seem the same.

What do you think, is it worth trying to modify this magazine? It seems like these are getting harder to find.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures of the magazine.
Attachments
magazine 2.jpg
magazine 2.jpg (22.1 KiB) Viewed 12524 times
magazine 1.jpg
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: What magazine did I buy?

Post by Curly1 »

The real question is does it function reliably as is with hand cycling then in live fire.

If it does you could get one of the extended mag releases Russ sells and not mess with the mag.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Drec

Post by Drec »

I have Russ' grips and extended mag release and it's an effort to release the magazine. I'll try to get it out to the range this week and see how it works. It looks like the magazine would house an extra round or two; which would be nice. I'll call Russ and see what could be done with it.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

What else was in it's description? It really looks a lot like an after market Bersa Thunder Magazine. Does it have the raised tab on the back for the release to grab it? More better pictures would be necessary for identification. One thing is sure; it's not a P-64 Magazine.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Drec

Post by Drec »

It looks almost exactly like a P64 magazine, except for length and the cutout on the side. It fits right in and snaps in place, it's a little difficult to release though.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Drec

Post by Drec »

If I had some snap caps I would check to see if it would hand cycle. I suppose I could do it with live ammo though.
Drec

Post by Drec »

Well, as it turns out 9mm Mak ammo doesn't seem to fit into the magazine. When I fist looked at the magazine it looked like the same width when was compared to the other magazine.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

New aftermarket and use oem mags are about $25, this isn't worth fiddling with.
Drec

Post by Drec »

The only OEM magazines I've seen were from about $35-$50. All of the on-line places that I've seen do not have OEM mags. There are some new ones though.
Last edited by Drec on December 26th, 2016, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

That is NOT originally a P-64 Magazine. You can tell because it has the upper cut in it for a pistol with a thumb/push button release. Nor is any of the construction anywhere near the same. Still looks more like a Bersa Thunder mag to me.

There have been .380 barrels produced for the P-64. I'm not sure how many, or how many people would have converted a perfectly good P-64 to a .380. But they were out there. This mag is most likely one that someone modified to work with a .380 modded P-64 only.
p64mag.JPG
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

If it functions reliably I would use as my "Alamo" mag so that you would not have to worry about ejecting it if you get to the point you have to use it when carrying.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Curly1 wrote:If it functions reliably I would use as my "Alamo" mag so that you would not have to worry about ejecting it if you get to the point you have to use it when carrying.
He said that it is to small for the 9x18 Makarov rounds. So no go there.
Weasel

Drec

Post by Drec »

I sent the magazine back today, so it's a non issue now, but thanks for the discussion. I guess this is part of the education.
kwillindy

Post by kwillindy »

The answer is in your original post.
.380 is 9x17 (or 9 mm Short or 9 mm Corto or 9 mm Kurz, etc., which just means 9 mm short in Italian/Spanish and German.).
P64 uses 9x18 Makarov Ammo. Different, not interchangeable.
andyson

Post by andyson »

Bersa Thunder .380

คาสิโน