Trigger pull scary lite

Info, pictures, advice...
Poppy42

Trigger pull scary lite

Post by Poppy42 »

I went to the range with my p64 and my Bulgarian Mak to try them out. Both are excellent shooters. I do however have an issue with the P64. I bought it at a pawn shop so I know that someone owned it prior to me as it was cleaned ( no cosmoline on it or in it). I have heard all the stories about the trigger pull being extremely heavy but never' owning or firing eather a P64 or a Makorov before I didn't know what to expect. In the warmer months I carry a Kel-Tek PF9 so I am accustomed to long heavy double action triggers. The Bulgarian mak is fine right out of the box so to speak, a little long but nothing that I find unbearable. The P64 on the other hand is something different. Double action is ridiculously hard and Single action however, is so light that its scary. It can't be more than 1.5 or 2 lbs at the most. It is so light that I had a second round discharge as a result of the recoil as I did not expect it to be so light. It would not bother me if I was match shooting a 1911 in competition but I certainly would not concealed carry a weapon with such a light trigger. I am also a little concerned that double action is still so long and hard. I fear that the previous owner did a bad trigger job. I plan on ordering new springs from wolf tomorrow but I am unsure as to what weight to order and would appreciate some advice( remember my Bulgarian Mak is fine and I have no intention of changing those springs). Everything else about this weapon is fine. It functions better than a lot of the new guns that I have used. If Any body could offer any help/suggestions on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ray
Long, wide, deep, and without hesitation
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Trigger pull scary lite

Post by Ketchman »

P-64's are noted for having a very light SA trigger pull as they came from the factory. The stock weight is around 3-4 lbs depending on spring conditions. Get it checked for pull weight. if the springs are stock the DA pull should be in excess of 22lbs and the SA should be around 3-4. The lightest springs they make for the hammer springs (because of the way the trigger / hammer works the hammer spring determines the pull weight.) are 17lb which is what i use and I find the SA pull quite light but not excessivlly so and not a lot lighter than stock. If the SA pull is lighter than 3 lbs then it may have had a trigger job in which case you may wish to find stock parts to restore stock functioning. Let us know please.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.