Double action mode, Polishiron grip issues

Info, pictures, advice...
gemini1

Double action mode, Polishiron grip issues

Post by gemini1 »

Hello P64 shooters, been a while since I last visited the forum.
First off, this is not to bash the rubber grip made by polishirons, but I feel I need to check with the other users and see if the issue I had just discovered is just an isolated case or if others had noticed it too.

I bought the v5 version several months ago. And as every users can attest, this is the grip for our little pistol, as far as taming the snappy recoil is concerned.
I've only shot my pistol on 2 or 3 occasions/range trips, with this grip. I usually shoot first round on double action, and the rest on SA. Around 50 rounds per trip, so thats about 8 times shooting on DA.

Last night, while playing (dry firing) with my SW Shield, I brought out the P64 to do the same. The first time I pulled the trigger on DA, it was fine, but then on the 2nd time, I noticed that when the hammer struct the firing pin, it didn't make a louder noise that it usually does. I pulled trigger again, and the same thing. At this point, I watched how the hammer goes down before moving forward to fire, and I noticed that it was not going all the way down as it used to.
I took the slide off and see if there's anything out of the ordinary. I pulled trigger again without the slide, same thing. It seems that the trigger bar was only partially in contact with the hammer, it would engage the notch on the hammer, then slips halfway through.
I removed the grip, and my suspicion was confirmed. When I pulled the trigger, the trigger bar will catch the hammer notch, but will then slide out of the notch as I continue pulling the trigger to complete the cycle.

I replaced the original plastic grip back, first, just the right side and tested it. DA pull works! WTF? I re-assembled the pistol, pulled trigger several times, slowly then rapidly, DA pull works just as it did before.
This morning, I took the pistol out and played with it again. Just doing DA pulls till my finger hurts, and it works every time!
So what happened? was the rubber not tough enough, that the trigger bar had, over time grinded materials deep enough to make it slip from the hammer notch? I dont know. But it seems like thats what happened on mine.
I can probably fashion out a thin metal plate, glue it to the area rubbing against the trigger bar, and see if it works.
But for now, Im keeping the OEM plastic grip.

My pistols are just a range toy. But for those who CCW, please check, function check your gears as often as you can. One can never be sure when the time to use it comes.
snailman153624

Re: Double action mode, Polishiron grip issues

Post by snailman153624 »

It should function the same with or without grips installed. I'm not sure what exactly you think the grips should be doing?
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Are you suggesting that the grips impeded the trigger bar movement or that pieces of the grip interfered with the lock up of the trigger bar and sear?
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

snailman153624 wrote:It should function the same with or without grips installed. I'm not sure what exactly you think the grips should be doing?
Well, I tried pulling the trigger without the grips, and the trigger bar slid out/jump sideways halfway through. This, to me suggest that the grip plays a part, in holding/keeping the bar on its position.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

Ketchman wrote:Are you suggesting that the grips impeded the trigger bar movement or that pieces of the grip interfered with the lock up of the trigger bar and sear?
No sir. What I think happened is maybe the area or part of the grip that keeps the trigger bar in place, may have softened up(?) I dont know if oil/grease played a part, for this to happen.
Without the grips, when I slowly pulled the trigger, the trigger bar dis-engages itself to the side halfway through. When I placed a finger on the side where the grip is, the bar stays in contact with the hammer, and let it go all the way, till the hammer falls.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I have pulled my trigger through full cycle without grips on multiple times and not had this happen. I am betting there is another issue here such as a bearing surface or attachment point for the sear or trigger bar that is not right and the grips being in place is masking the cause. But I cannot think what that may be. Anyone else with more knowledge on this please step up.
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

I made a short video to try and describe or show whats going on.

Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I think the origonal grips are keeping the trigger bar and sear in alignment because of close tolerance which the Polish Iron grips do not have. However, given the number of us who use the Polish Iron V5 grips without this problems suggests that there is a problem with your trigger bar / sear alignment. However I am not the one to diagnose what that problem is exactly. Guys, a little help here!!
gemini1

Post by gemini1 »

So I guess for now, my options would be to either get a new trigger bar and hammer, and see if it works without the grips, just as you guys say, so I can continue using the V5. Or just keep the OEM grip which makes the gun functional on both DA/SA mode.
Maybe at some point, I would do a full dis-assembly and see if there's anything out of whack.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

My first thought is check the trigger bar for misalignment or somethiing loose followed by the sear. And perhaps a disassembly is needed. I suppose using the stock grips until the root cause is found would work but I woupd want to know the cause myself.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

When I first put my Houge Handall over my aftermarket grips I had this very problem. The pressure from the handall squoze the right grip tight against the trigger bar and the hammer wouldn't fall when I pulled the trigger. I had to file down the inside of the grip so it would clear the trigger bar.
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

QUESTION: New here (and new to P64) but do these rubber grips replace and go on instead of the original grips or are they supposed to be installed over the original grip? I was thinking of ordering but want more information first. Thanks
BeoBill

Post by BeoBill »

It's a "remove and replace" slip on grip. Dead easy to do.