Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Info, pictures, advice...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I just bought 500 rounds of Silver Bear 94 gr JHP at $8.70 per box delivered. This is about as good a price as I have found in the last month. The problem in our area is that every one is buying Wolf Military, excuse the personal opinion, JUNK. I am experiencing 4 to 5 misfires per $7.95 box. That takes all the fun out of shooting, in my opinion, when you are trying to do seven shot strings as fast as possible drawing from an inside the belt holster. It's great practice for clearing rounds and continuing the exercise, but I would rather have dependable ammo.
Just one shooters opinion.
G.R.
redfestiva

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by redfestiva »

I agree with you gunnyrabbit. The Silver Bear is hard to beat for price and quality. I've had equal success with both the fmj and hp. I have tried a decent variety of easily available 9x18 including some top shelf stuff but can't say any of it has out performed Silver Bear and it cost much more. In fairness I did shoot 100 rounds of the Wolf military classic cammo box with zero failures but only because I got a bargain at a show on it. I have a box of the Wolf 100 gr with the wolf on the box but I will probably just keep that for a novelty after hearing horror stories of it damaging guns via pierced primers. I still have never tried the Brown Bear, I only see it occasionally where I am at.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by trent »

it's funny, all these companies are selling 9x18 hollow point for like $16 for a box of 25 but the silverbear is some of the cheapest stuff around, and just as effective. thanks for the heads up about the Military Classic, although my gun seems to digest the wierd stuff pretty good, I think I'll avoid ordering a 500rnd slab of it.
commandercob

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by commandercob »

I've been very satisfied with Silver Bear ammuntion. I was shooting the 115gr stuff for a while until people told me I should not, and that it is somewhat collectable. Is Silver Bear 94gr still in production? Or is it just old surplus stuff that occasionally gets shipped over?
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by devlinfaust »

I've never had a problem with 9mm or 9mm Mak in Wolf. However, I once bought 500 rounds of Wolf in .40 and was very sorry that I did. That was some of the worst ammo I've ever used. About one out of every four or five cases would buldge to the point it wouldn't extract and I'd have to take the pistol half-way apart every time.

I used Wolf for years and swore by it, but it seems like in about the last four or five years old, I've heard more people swear AT it!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Interesting you should mention other calibers, I have shot 115gr
Wolf in 9mm and found it to be the accurate I could find at the time. O% failures with excellent accuracy. The owners at one of the clubs I shoot at made a rule that no Russian ammo at all,to bad I really liked the stuff. OK , what do you think about the price, is that about standard across the country at a delivery price, I didn't think I could carp to much, coming from Oklahoma to Portland, OR. for $12.00. :)
Hope you all have a great day................... G.R.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by trent »

why no russian stuff?, I've heard wolf 223 has problems in ar15's feeding and such but other than that I can't see why it has such a bad rep.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by bzinggg »

I've been very satisfied with Silver Bear ammuntion. I was shooting the 115gr stuff for a while until people told me I should not, and that it is somewhat collectable. Is Silver Bear 94gr still in production? Or is it just old surplus stuff that occasionally gets shipped over?
Hey CC,

The 94gr Silver Bear available now is new manufacture, respecting U.S. import and SAAMI specs. It moves pretty fast and I don't think you can do much better for the P-64.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by normsutton »

Trent

WOLF ammo has had a bad rep for the last 2 years ever sense they started making their own primers,
their 7.62 x 39 is garbage some people get lucky with it other's are not so lucky . to shoot WOLF ammo in a gun you can't get parts for, well I sure wouldn't do it, maybe WOLF GOLD but that's made quality ammo plants and made with brass cases and reloadable

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by trent »

I have put probably close to 1000 rnds of wolf through a rominian ak47 and haven't had a problem, perhaps I had some from an older batch, has anyone used surplus 7.62x39? I was thinking about picking some up If I can find a good deal.

oh, I've been thinking about picking up some "bore snakes", has anyone had any experience with them, I've read warnings on the boxes that say "do not use with corrosive ammo", Is this really a problem if you flush out the barrell with ammonia/soap+water/gi bore cleaner/ Helga's tears/whatever everyone uses to get rid of the corrosive salts, before you run the bore cleaner through?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by normsutton »

Trent

BORE SNAKES the reason not to use with corrosive ammo is, the corrosive salts might kill the snake and then you have a died snake in your barrel (LOL)

(sorry Trent couldn't help myself )

not sure why that would be, unless you can't keep the bore snake clean enough so your putting more corrosive salts back in the barrel every time you use it

most's of the surplus ammo 7.62 x 39 ammo is all gone in this country

if your looking for a tin of ammo try this I've heard this is good ammo
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Hot_ ... n_FMJ.html

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by trent »

haha,

thanks for the info norm
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by carguy »

Took a couple of days off and went to the range today. I picked up some Silver Bear JHP and shot it for the first time, 150 rounds. Nice stuff!

Fed perfectly in P-64, Bulgy Mak and CZ-82. I had a hic-cup when I was practicing with 1 in the tube and 6 in the mag of the P-64 (I think that 6 in the mag has alot of spring tension and gummed up the feeding. With 5 in the mag perfect feeding every time. This was with 2 original mags to the P-64.

I do like the Silver Bear...and the price is right. 1 or 2 flyers everything else on the paper at 10 yards!

The only ammo I've ever had problems with is the CCI that I had a pierced primer with a couple of weeks ago (I do not shoot Wolf).
commandercob

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by commandercob »

Trent,

I have two Boresnakes, a 9mm for my P-64 and a .22 cal for other stuff. They work great. If you don't want to do a complete field stripping after each shooting, just run the Boresnake through a couple of times and everything is good to shoot. I've shot a lot of cheap ammunition and the snakes are a great way to get rid of junk quick and easy. To clean the things you just put them in the washing machine. With that in mind, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to use corrosive ammuntion in combination with a Boresnake.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Silver Bear 94gr. JHP

Post by trent »

ok good, I'll have to order some then, probably a .30cal. between my brother and I we have mosin nagant, nagant revolver, ak47, sks, m1carbine, and maybe it'l work in a mauser (gotta love the soviets and their "keep everything .30cal policy".

p.s. my brother (the man who keeps stumbling upon really good deals) just picked up a mint chinese sks (it's near perfect) from a co-worker for $102.00, the guy said that after he found his 5yo walking around the house with it saying "bang! bang!" it was time to sell it.