All about the P64 Magazine

Info, pictures, advice...
dashman77

All about the P64 Magazine

Post by dashman77 »

The magazine is the weakest point on a semi-automatic pistol. It's the first thing you change (next to ammo) when you have malfunctions. Being as the P64 has different generations, manufactures and quirks, does anyone think having a spot just to discuss the magazines of the P64 would be useful? When I search for magazines on the form I get 133 posts with "magazine" used. Makes it hard to find what you are looking for. I have stumbled across posts of people converting their mag to 7 rnds, fixing magazines that are ever so slightly over sized and feel somewhat too fat, polishing mag springs for better function and the whole pre and post 72 topic. Maybe a thread of just general discussion. No one topic, just magazine talk. For example my 1969 prefers the post 72 magazine for some reason. From what I've read the opposite should be true. Maybe it's too general but I would love an area to just get information on everything magazine related. People's experience with the different generation mags, problems they have encountered, solutions they have found, manufactures to stay away from etc. I have spent hours searching and looking for magazine posts because mine came with a short feed lip and an extended feed lip magazine (pre and post 72). They have different followers and different body dimensions (one slides in and out easy and the other feels slightly too fat). The magazine is one of the most important and the most neglected part of a gun. The P64 has a lot of information related to magazine issues on this site and it would be handy to have it condensed in one area. Is this a pipe dream or am I missing something that allows me to do this already? Thank you :)
Let the donkies bray, help you find the a$$ in the group.
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Re: All about the P64 Magazine

Post by robhic »

I can give you a fairly general yet good answer here. Converting a magazine to 7 rounds is NOT a good idea. There are only really 2 different magazine types: 1 with shorter feed lips and 1 with longer feed lips. One is for older (pre 67-68 I believe and the other for newer models). Why am I not concerned? Because I have both and when my 2 granddudes and I have "P64 Day" at the range and the different mags get mixed up, we don't worry about it and I can't remember having problems due to using the "wrong" mag in the "wrong" gun. "Fatter" magazines is a new one. I don't remember seeing that one. Not saying it doesn't exist because some folks can find problems with ANYTHING! I'd say use the mags that came with the gun (OEM) and just shoot the gun. Don't look for problems unless you're having them. OK - flame away!!!
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

the fatter magazines were most likely the Keep Shooting mags. There were a lot of QC problems with them a couple years back but recent talk seems to suggest that maybe they have some of those bugs worked out.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

All my mags intermix well. My 1971, and 1974 spur hammer magazines work in all the pistols
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
dashman77

Post by dashman77 »

Yeah I think it was curly who said he put a magazine in a vice and gently changed its dimensions until it fit nice. Wasn't looking for problems but when I noticed one mag went into my gun easier than the other I took a closer look. My 1969 prefers the longer feed lip mag over the shorter one. The shorter feed lip mag rubs inside my gun... if anyone has experience with early glock magazines before they put the metal liner inside them and tried to insert a full mag into the pistol you will know what I mean. Also, I had a failure for the slide to lock open on the last round. Finally, when it does lock open on that mag and I put the other loaded mag in the gun, the release forward feels/sounds different making a noise like a spring is catching or rubbing. I experience none of that with the other mag. Both mags are factory Radom I believe as they are both electro penciled and share the same proof mark. Could just be a bad magazine. It happens. Wish I knew if that was the case or if it is the generation of mag that's causing it. Just unfortunate for me I wasn't getting into the P64 10 years ago when you could get spare mags for half the price they are now. Going to shoot more this weekend and order a Wolff spring kit.
Let the donkies bray, help you find the a$$ in the group.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

^^^^^^ Yes that was me
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
robhic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by robhic »

chestertnted wrote:All my mags intermix well. My 1971, and 1974 spur hammer magazines work in all the pistols
I've got a '68, 75's and a 77 and that's been my experience, too. The two little demons and I go with the P64s and about 5 boxes of ammo (I gotta keep those boys in control!) to the indoor range. We break out the guns, stack the boxes of ammo and let loose. It gets epic.... Mags everywhere and I had the foresight to mark the mags to the guns so when the smoke clears , we pair 'em back up and go home. I get the privilege of cleaning them. :?
- Robert

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Fantastic fun

TED
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Jmaur

Post by Jmaur »

Hello,
I just picked up a 1971 p64. It has two mags and I'm curious if they can be left at full capacity or if that would wear out the spring. Or would it be better to keep it at 5rds to preserve the mags? Any thoughts? Thanks
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Jmaur

Post by Jmaur »

Thank you!
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

Look at P64 Resource too

TED
mb3

Post by mb3 »

I recently bought two P64 mags from keep Shooting and they look to be well made. They came wrapped in clear plastic with "Made in Ru" printed on them. It looked like the last word was rubbed off. Are these mags made in Russia?