Feeling the water before I plunge

Info, pictures, advice...
dashman77

Feeling the water before I plunge

Post by dashman77 »

Hello

Newbie here to this so far wonderful site. Have been in a gun loving world my whole life but just recently discovered this little gem made by the polish, the P64. I work in a gun store and one happened to make its way in. Love at first sight! Having never heard of one before I did some snooping online to learn what I could and, percs of the job, took it home to shoot and play with it. Two reasons for this post. First, I do a lot of forum jumping. I'm very discerning as to which sites are worth my time. This site is dedicated to the gun I'm interested in so kind of a no brainer. However, some forums have a certain type of "people" that I don't care to waste my time with. That being said my two favorite places to get answers are THR and CMP. So, this post is me dipping my toe in the water before I dive in. My question is this; being as I have never heard of this gun and am only starting to learn the quirks and general pros and cons the gun has to offer, I was wondering if anyone had any advice, problems to watch for, tricks they have learned to enhance performance, common failures etc. I know I could search the forum and likely spend hours gathering the information I'm looking for (which I will do anyway cause you always find stuff you didn't know you needed to know). I've seen people post these generic, open ended questions on other sites and get lynched. I'm very curious to see how this post is received. Sorry for the long wind. I normally prefer short and to the point. Thank you all in advance for taking the time to share your wisdom.
Let the donkies bray, help you find the a$$ in the group.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Feeling the water before I plunge

Post by Ketchman »

Welcome to the Brotherhood. The P-64 is an infectious little bugger, once bitten your forever entranced. Get ready to change springs, get new grips (Polish irons V.05 are AWESOME), mess with sights, look hard for the right holster and additional magazines, cleaning and some polishing, finding the "right" ammo (Hornady Critical Defense and Silver Bear HP) amongst all the choices out there and then enjoying carrying a pistol that positively dissapears under clothing and always "feels" there. And enjoying the punishment you get when you take her to the range for a workout. And get ready for a forum that has the best members I have ever had the pleasure to interact with. Everyone here is polite, nice, willing to help and the knowledge base is off the charts. I doubt seriously if you will find the kind of "people" here that you referred to in your post.
Enjoy your stay and ask any question you want, you will get the kind of answer you were hoping for.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

dashman77
welcome

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
chestertnted

Post by chestertnted »

I EDC mine. Love it!
"For the Founders, the right of the citizen to be armed-they never imagined a world in which they would be disarmed for the supposed benefit of preventing access to weapons by madmen."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

Have you shot it yet? How did you find the recoil?

Some peeps don't think the recoil is that bad and others feel it is punishing and not prone to long range sessions.

Changing out springs for recoil reduction can cause other problems like the mag unseating on the last round with heavier recoil springs.

I shot 125 rounds thru mine at one session and it did hurt at the end. You can also look at one of the rubber grips member polishiron developed and sells here to help out in the recoil area. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6031

Certain parts like the safety/decocker lever can be almost impossible to find if you need one.

Lots of knowledgeable peeps here to help out.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
valetnlv

Post by valetnlv »

Welcome to the club , I love my p64 and carry it alot. I dont shoot it alot as after 100 rounds it starts to hurt a bit. I also have a p83 which I suggest to all p64 owners to try out, i like it better to shoot but its a bit bigger to carry but we have open carry in nevada so its all good. Enjoy.....Brian
dashman77

Post by dashman77 »

Yeah I've carried a weapon everyday for the better part of 13 years. From a full size government 1911 to a NAA 22 mag revolver. Recoil isn't that bad. My NAA or LCP are to me more uncomfortable to shoot. If I want a range trip my Colt M45 rail gun, smith 686 or Glock to name a few, are some primary range shooters But I do enjoy shooting the p64 with gloves. After a few mags I do start to notice my trigger finger getting tired of being slapped from recoil. Any weapon I carry I insist on trigger time. If I can't comfortable destroy a small target at 30 feet, I shouldn't be carrying it. I haven't put more than 100 rnds through it but I just got it a week ago. WWB ammo functions fine. I've gotten a two light primer strikes on S&B FMJ when shooting DA and one failur for the slide to lock on last round... but all that is for another post and this site has already gave me a solution.

Anyway, I am really enjoying this site. I'm going to continue combing through threads and discovering. If you admin wish to remove this thread, I've gotten what I needed and do greatly appreciate your time responding, maintaining and keeping this site going! I will do my best to contribute and not waste anyone's time, well, anymore :wink:
Let the donkies bray, help you find the a$$ in the group.