Memorial Day

Info, pictures, advice...
2001flhr

Memorial Day

Post by 2001flhr »

May y'all have safe holiday.

For those who served "Thank You". May we forever remember those who fell, may we never forget 911!!!!!!

Dutch

PS: Remember the Alamo & God bless Texas!!!!!!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Memorial Day

Post by normsutton »

Dutch

HIRE HIRE

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
searcher36

Memorial Day

Post by searcher36 »

Well said Dutch! My thanks go out to those that served during peace and war, and those that are serving to this day.

Rob
truth

Memorial Day

Post by truth »

You can, feel and, say anything you want about this government, federal, state or local....Say what you will, but never speak badly of those that served, in times of conflict, and times of peace. Thank you to each and everyone that has served this U.S.A. God bless those who gave it all so we can be on this web-site today, and those family's that grieve for there loss....
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Memorial Day

Post by nbender »

Well said, truth. My sentiments exactly.

I'm reading: "With The old Breed, at Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B. Sledge. Written by a real fine Marine. What an incredible account of the horrible conditions that front line troops faced in the Pacific during WWII.

It's heartwarming to see the support our poor troops in Iraq receive from the home front today. This country has not always been so supportive of our boys in harm's way, on missions without popular support.

To those who serve/served, my appreciation.
Last edited by nbender on May 25th, 2007, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zbysiu23

Memorial Day

Post by zbysiu23 »

"Yours Silent Tents Of Green,
We Deck With Fragrant Flowers,
Yours Has The Suffering Been,
The Memory Shall Be Ours..."
redfestiva

Memorial Day

Post by redfestiva »

To all brave soldiers before us and to all who will follow, my hats off to all of you. Happy Memorial Day.
tmann11

Memorial Day

Post by tmann11 »

With the tears a Land hath shed
Their graves should ever be green.
~Thomas Bailey Aldrich
2001flhr

Memorial Day

Post by 2001flhr »

Day is done,
gone the sun,
From the hills,
from the lake,
From the skies.
All is well,
safely rest,
God is nigh.
Go to sleep,
peaceful sleep,
May the soldier
or sailor,
God keep.
On the land
or the deep,
Safe in sleep.
Love, good night,
Must thou go,
When the day,
And the night
Need thee so?
All is well.
Speedeth all
To their rest.
Fades the light;
And afar
Goeth day,
And the stars
Shineth bright,
Fare thee well;
Day has gone,
Night is on.

Thanks and praise,
For our days,
'Neath the sun,
Neath the stars,
'Neath the sky,
As we go,
This we know,
God is nigh.

Taps at end of Day.....
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Memorial Day

Post by papabear »

Least We Forget.........USS Shaw, Pearl Harbor, Dec 7, 1941. My uncle was on the USS Shaw that day.

"All Gave Some, Some Gave All"

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Memorial Day

Post by nbender »

papabear - I hate to ask - did your Uncle survive?
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Memorial Day

Post by papabear »

papabear - I hate to ask - did your Uncle survive?
nbender,

Not a problem, yes he did, he passed away just recently, he was living in Lincoln, Nebraska with one of his two daughters. He was was the last of the four brothers, they all four served in WWII, oldest uncle was in the Army in Europe, my dad was next oldest, he was a Flying Tiger [USAAF] flew the Hump, China, Burma and India in a B-25 Mitchell, next oldest was a Marine in the Pacific, fighter pilot, and my last uncle was in the Navy on the USS Shaw that day, and he didn't even get wounded. My dad and his three brother all survived WWII. I too am a vet, Viet Nam 67-68, as are a some others on here. Memorial Day is very important to me as I know it is for many others on this board.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Memorial Day

Post by nbender »

Quite a family history papabear! Your father was a Flying Tiger! My father was also in India - and Burma - as a medical liason officer to the Chinese Army. He ran a front line medical station, and moved with the troops.

One of his lifetime friends flew the Hump and was shot down by a Zero. He escaped through great fortune.

I was in VN 1968 - 1970, so we overlapped.

Yes, memorial Day has great significance to many of us! My engineering office is staffed with people who went to college, not into the service. On Veteran's Day, if I'm not out in the field, I bring in a Show-and-Tell -> my VN boots, some miscelleneous stuff, and make people acknowledge that there are Veteran's in this world.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Memorial Day

Post by papabear »

nbender,

We do have some common ground, appreciate your reply. I spent a a few months with a member here, b52stan, at NKP Thailand, though we didn't know it at the time. Sandys flew out of there for sky cap for the downed pilots. I went TDY from there to DaNang for the rest of my tour. One tour was enough for me, still have some of the scrap they sent me home with.

Appreciate too your Show & Tell story.........good for you!!!

Also, +1 with LelandRay about how purty that USFA .45 colt is..... ;D

Take Care,

Hayden
Last edited by papabear on May 28th, 2007, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Memorial Day

Post by carguy »

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I was never in the service. I turned 18 as the draft was eliminated in 1975(?). I did plan on attending the Air Force Academy, had my appointment, but my Dad passed away in December of '74 and I declined in order to stay home with Mom and my Sister. My Dad served in the Army's 34th Red Bull Division in Italy during WWII, he used to like to brag to me how he marched from the toe to the top of the boot of Italy. My Grandmother like your's Papabear hung many stars in her window (5 sons in service, 1 did not come home).

To all who served I say a heart felt thank you and God Bless you. Because of your efforts as well as those of others before and at present we enjoy the freedoms we current exercise. I make a point to thank every active serviceman or woman I see in uniform no matter when or where...just because.