good news/bad news

Info, pictures, advice...
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

good news/bad news

Post by devlinfaust »

Folks:

I have replaced the springs in my P-64's with Wolff stuff, and have added a Hogue slip on grip. Recoil of the P-64 has always been somewhat of a problem with me, but I can say that my P-64 is now actually pleasant to shoot. Recoil tamed!

Now, for the bad news....

I was shooting Silver Bell and had malfunctions. The first time ever with any ammo, except the large cavity Hornady. It was always the last shell. We took the mag apart, stretched the spring a bit and oiled it . I am happy to say that it now works just fine. However, this started me wondering, because this was the gun that was almost always loaded--always 'kept at the ready', so to speak.

Does anyone have any idea how long it 'safe' to keep shells in the magazine before you have to worry about feeding problems? I generally keep one less than actual mag capacity on all of my semi-autos, including my P-64's.

Thanks....
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

good news/bad news

Post by carguy »

I'm not sure how long to leave a mag loaded is too long but remember that these are "older" surplus pistols/mags. Maybe think about rotating which magazine you keep at the ready. Pick up a couple of new(er) mags, just get a few to minimize too much extended compression on any single mag spring.
barnett3006

good news/bad news

Post by barnett3006 »

I've had all 3 of my mags loaded with 6 rounds pretty much continuously (except for when I go to the range of course) for about 2 years now. Springs feel just as stiff as the day I got them.

Personally, I don't think stretching a compression type spring will do much other than further weaken it. You might have had dirt or a bur in the mag that came out when you took the thing apart, but I don't know...
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

good news/bad news

Post by normsutton »

devlinfaust

I did a search and came up with this

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_99130369

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

good news/bad news

Post by anjdrifter »

great article thanks norm....I use one of the writers method of rotation,go to the range as much as possible and use up those old rounds and flex those springs....
tmann11

good news/bad news

Post by tmann11 »

Norm,

Thanks for the information. I've been somewhat confused over that issue for a long time. It is now clear to use the magazines without damaging them.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

good news/bad news

Post by devlinfaust »

Thanks Mr. Norm. That was a very interesting and informative article. In fact, that's just what was happening to my P-64---always the last shot! Just like that article said.

I knew if the question could be answered, I'd find out about it through this message board!

Again, many thanks!
mmafan

good news/bad news

Post by mmafan »

Great article Norm thanks for posting it.
Last edited by mmafan on May 24th, 2007, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redfestiva

good news/bad news

Post by redfestiva »

Knowledge is power, thanks Norm.